What's the Last Concert You Attended?

Jahfin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The last show I saw was The Infamous Sugar, a fellow I've been aiming to see since I first moved to Raleigh in 2008. The opportunity finally presented itself so I caught a late night set from him at Slim's Downtown last night. He's described as a "one man band" which he is but once he gets going you don't even think about that. I'm not sure how to describe his music other than to say it's very garage-y with a heavy Nuggets era vibe. The lyrics are profanity laced and filled with references to kinky sex, hard drugs and hard livin'. In others words, right up everyone's alley around these parts. If you find yourself being even the least bit intrigued after reading that description I suggest reading this Five Questions interview with him that was conducted by Karen Mann for the New Raleigh blog back in 2009. The dude has a very interesting backstory, that's for sure.

Prior to that I caught Tommy Womack at a house show up in North Raleigh last night. He's one of those folks I've been hearing about for years but have never gotten around to fully investigating. Tommy's a singer/songwriter from Nashville and is known as part of the East Nashville crowd that also includes Todd Snider and Will Kimbrough (with whom Tommy has a band called Daddy). Years and years ago he was in a band called Government Cheese (and is also the author of a book about that band called The Cheese Chronicles). We got a few songs from that era of his career but most of his set was comprised of his solo material. Tommy's delivery is wry and very sardonic with an uncanny knack for turning the most clever of phrases. He describes himself in song as "a pimple on Dylan's ass" but he's much more than that. After hearing "90 Miles An Hour On a Dead End Street" from his new album (Now What) I was convinced that I was not leaving without that record before the night was over. That is, until he broke out "Alpha Male and the Canine Mystery Blood", an eight minute meditation on life, love, rock n'roll and all that entails. Right then and there, I knew I'd also be leaving with the album that comes from called There, I Said It. After hearing about Tommy for at least the last 10 years or so, I'm glad I finally took the opportunity to see him. I'm looking forward to digging even deeper into his back catalog and can't wait until I can see him in concert again.

The aforementioned "Alpha Male and the Canine Mystery Blood". Sit back, kick your feet up and crank 'er up to 11. This is one kick ass song I think everyone here can relate to.

Edited by Jahfin

• 5 weeks later...

Saw Jack White for the first time tonight in Virginia and it was a great show; he really is an incredible musician. In addition to his new songs there were plenty of White Stripes songs, and more. He had great solos in Cut Like a Buffalo and Steady As She Goes (definitely one of the best solos of the night) and he did Carolina Drama. Unfortunately I forgot my glasses <_< so he was kind of a moving blur on stage; he was definitely all over the place.

Before the show started, one of the Men In Black came out and asked the audience to experience the music with their eyes and not through their cell phones; which we all thought was great. His website publishes photos of each show that fans can download for free afterwards.

We were not in the mosh pit, and we were not the oldest people there (whew!)

Jack White at Boston University. I had a great time and will definitely see him again. A commute that should normally take no more than two hours, took me three and a half. I missed the support band. Jack had his Peacocks band at the show, those women can rock. At the start of the show, the sound was not great, especially vocals, but it improved.

I prefer the hard rocking songs, but the entire show was entertaining. I was disappointed that the show was only an hour and a half. After reflecting on the show the following day, I think one of the reasons is that Jack White wastes no time. Not a lot of talking, no drum solos, no clothes change, just music.

In the summer I saw Aerosmith. Although I don't like many of Aerosmith's songs from the last few decades, the show was much better than I expected. Aerosmith's show had an extended stage, smoke, drum solo, clothing changes, Tyler and Perry lifted onto the stage from below, etc. I only mention this to note the presentation differences.

Madonna ACC (Toronto) Sept. 12, 2012

Great concept, awesome song choices for said concept, wonderful choreography and execution, and an amazing set. Very entertaining night. I was really impressed with how seamless and professional the show was. Non-stop two hour performance in stilettos.

• 1 month later...

Just saw Rush - again - on the Clockwork Angels tour November 1st at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre in Alpharetta, Georgia.

Probably the best Rush show I've ever seen, and I've seen about 5, including both legs of the Snakes and Arrows tour.

The sound was - as usual - sensational, and the visuals were incredible.

Some people criticize groups that are able to accurately reproduce their sound from albums, but I think it's pretty damn impressive.

The only songs I would have loved to hear were Distant Early Warning and Digital Man, but they played those on the previous shows I saw.

Of course, the 2112 encore more than made up for it.

Practically 3 hours of music - 28 songs - these guys deliver the best quality and value of any group period.

I'm a fan.

Set One

Subdivisions

The Big Money

Force Ten

Grand Designs

Limelight

Territories

The Analog

The Pass

Where's My Thing?

Far Cry

Set Two, with string section

Caravan

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Carnies

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

Halo Effect

Wish Them Well

The Garden

Dreamline

Drum Solo

(The Percussor)

Red Sector A

YYZ

The Spirit of Radio

Encore

Tom Sawyer

2112 Part I: Overture

2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx

2112 Part VII: Grand Finale

Edited by TypeO

Saw Craig Ferguson tonight at the Warner Theatre. They filmed it for...something (dvd release? HBO or Showtime special? who knows...)

Robert Josh Thompson did a brief opening act. He's the voice of Geoff Peterson, the robot skeleton sidekick on the show. He was fairly amusing - does several good impressions, his best being Morgan Freeman. Craig did a bit over an hour and was hilarious throughout. Really enjoyed the show.

And, the pre- and post-show musice was Led Zeppelin IV - requested by the road crew according to the local sound guy. Good choice!! Driving home, I heard No Quarter on the radio as I was pulling into the driveway. A fabulous way to end a fun evening :)

• 4 weeks later...

The Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour,I actually won the tickets from a radio station wzlx out of Boston Mass

HollywoodBowl.JPG

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Boston, MA, Gillette Stadium

Paint It Black

Live With Me

Monkey Man

Sway

Sweet Virginia

Streets Of Love

Ain't Too Proud To Beg

Midnight Rambler

Tumbling Dice

You Got The Silver

Little T&A

B Stage

Under My Thumb

Rough Justice

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Honky Tonk Women

Sympathy for The Devil

Start Me Up

Satisfaction

Encore

Brown Sugar

Neil Diamond at the Greek, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nah, it wasn't that bad....."Hello, hello again".......

I saw Neil Diamond at The Great Western Forum in his later years. My friend and I weren't that much into his music and agreed to go just as kind of a nostalgic thing. Yet watching him and his audience interact made it worthwhile for me. I was amazed he was still drawing enormous crowds and that night was no exception. He had reportedly sold out a record number of shows for this venue. In fact, I think he still holds the record. And he is one of only two performing artists I have seen perform an arena of that size on a round revolving stage right in the center instead of on a big stage at the front. His audience loves him! They all get up and dance when he does "Cherry Cherry", and they all stand up and sing along to "Sweet Caroline", and they all hold up their lighters as a tribute to him when he sings, "I Am . . . I Said" and we didn't know why they did that so we asked around and the people we asked told us it was because that's supposed to be the best song he's ever written. His concert didn't really have much of a light show except when he does "America" and then they shine the flag and shoot some fireworks, and then the whole audience cheers. I will admit his show did exceed my expectations but then again, I didn't have high expectations when I went.

^^^

Yes, Dee Dee, Neil Diamond still holds the record for most consecutive sell-outs at the Forum. Some ridiculous number like 12 or 14. He has a plaque in his honour outside the Forum. I posted a photo of it over in the Houses of the Holy(landmarks of Led Zeppelin) thread.

I didn't see Neil Diamond at the Forum, but I did catch him at the Greek and you're right about the relationship between him and the audience. It was strangely entertaining and easy to get caught up in the enthusiasm.

The Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour,I actually won the tickets from a radio station wzlx out of Boston Mass

The last concert you went to was over 6 years ago? :o