What's the Last Concert You Attended?

Jahfin

On 3/27/2016 at 2:46 PM, reswati said:

1975?....lol, teach me the time travel trick.

Hahaha...just noticed my goof. I guess I had Led Zeppelin on the brain...those concerts are so ingrained in my conscious that I have a Pavlovian response to certain dates.

For instance, if I am writing a date that begins June 21, 23, 25, 26, or 27, my mind automatically thinks 1977...or 1972 in the case of June 25.

The same happens with March 24, 25, and 27...1975 instantly registers in my mind and transmits it to my fingers.

• 2 weeks later...

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard, The Murlocs, and Mind Meld @ The Teragram Ballroom May 20.

Well, thank you thank you thank you Icondo23!

Thanks to you, I have a new band to get into and just saw them play an incredible show this past Friday night at the Teragram Ballroom. Sure, I might have eventually discovered them on my own or via somebody else. But by then it could be too late...they might be past their peak.

The opening bands were pretty good. Mind Meld was the first band on stage. A new power trio from Los Angeles, with a cool girl drummer. There is something about girl drummers that I find irresistible.

20160520_211722.thumb.jpg.565979aff087c9

20160520_211759.thumb.jpg.87dd96395c943b

20160520_210417.thumb.jpg.7388da7da90adc

Next came The Murlocs, who, like King Gizzard, come from Australia. They come by their psych-rock from a more rootsy R & B perspective...a little Dream Syndicate meets early Rolling Stones/Animals. The drummer tripped me out because he looked like a teenage Dave Murray of Iron Maiden. A bass player, two guitarists, and the singer-harmonica player rounded out the 5-piece band. One of the guitar players was trying a little too hard to be goofy...he wore a tattered thrift shop dress, dirty yellow socks and torn and frayed white sandals. Oh, and his hair was piled up in a man-bun.

I preferred Mind Meld to The Murlocs.

Edited by Strider

At 11pm, the headlining King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard walked on the stage to the strains of Mötörhead. The place was sold out and by this point the crowd was amped...punches and beer had already been thrown between these two drunk girls. Fortunately, security tossed them.

From 11 to 12:30 or so, the band played nearly non-stop, with songs frequently flowing into the next song. Their music is a kaleidoscopic tapestry of psych-rock, Frank Zappa, Rush, Can/Neu!/Krautrock. I was won over immediately. Their precision is impressive but it is never at the expense of passion and pure rock power. It isn't the sterile precision of so many lesser jam and progrock bands.

I don't know if this is a regular thing, but two of the guys from The Murlocs were playing with King Gizzard...the singer-harmonica player and the bass player (who played guitar and looked a little like Will Lee). They whipped the crowd into a frenzy...there was moshing and stage-diving like a punk or speedmetal show. 

King Gizzard are finishing up their U.S. tour, then hit the UK and Australia. You gotta check them out!

Once again...all praise and thanks to Icondo for alerting me to these guys in time to see them in concert.

20160520_233849-1.thumb.jpg.2c7f1dea7de6

20160521_001810.thumb.jpg.b16cb735f2014f

20160520_235714.thumb.jpg.b572650916c158

20160520_235650.thumb.jpg.75d2abc34b448a

20160521_000748-1.thumb.jpg.b26e0eac2b66

20160521_000946.thumb.jpg.b45262ea3fe20d

Edited by Strider

20160522_221504.thumb.jpg.7e03636c6e5c1fHere is the complete rundown on The Cure's Sunday's show at the Hollywood Bowl.

Soundcheck: M, Play for Today, In Your House, A Letter to Elise, Lovesong, and two new songs I did not recognize.

The concert:
1. Plainsong 
2. Pictures of You
3. Closedown
4. A Night Like This
5. Push
6. In Between Days
7. Last Dance
8. Lullaby
9. Fascination Street
10. The End of the World
11. Lovesong
12. Just Like Heaven
13. 2 Late
14. Trust
15. Want
16. One Hundred Years
17. Disintegration
18. It Can Never Be the Same
19. A Forest
20. Shake Dog Shake
21. Piggy In the Mirror
22. All I Want
23. Give Me It
24. Step Into the Light
25. Never Enough
26. Burn
27. Wrong Number
28. The Lovecats
29. Hot Hot Hot!!!
30. Close to Me
31. Why Can't I Be You?
32. Boy's Don't Cry

The Cure played from 7:41 to 10:27 p.m.

20160522_201552.thumb.jpg.38f75c2a1656e3

20160522_201622.thumb.jpg.86fe92e882d1d3

20160522_212824.thumb.jpg.7642da9979a5c6

20160522_220944.thumb.jpg.3893ecc949671b

Edited by Strider

chunk_26.jpg.f33c709212593f18b16587f6eb6

Last night was my 20th Cure concert since 1981. The Cure played 13 different songs and one more song overall than Sunday. Monday's set list:

Tape (intro)
1. Open
2. High
3. Pictures of You
4. This Twilight Garden
5. A Night Like This
6. Lovesong
7. A Letter to Elise
8. Last Dance
9. Fascination Street
10. The Hungry Ghost
11. Screw
12. Lullaby
13. Caterpillar
14. The Exploding Boy
15. In Between Days
16. Just Like Heaven
17. If Only Tonight We Could Sleep
18. Want
19. End

1st Encore
20. It Can Never Be the Same (new song)

2nd Encore
21. The Snake Pit
22. Shake Dog Shake
23. From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea
24. A Forest

3rd Encore
25. Step Into the Light (new song)
26. Never Enough
27. Burn
28. Wrong Number

4th Encore
29. Hot Hot Hot!!!
30. Let's Go to Bed
31. Close to Me
32. Why Can't I Be You?
33. Boys Don't Cry

Set time: 8:05 to 10:55 p.m.

I noticed Sunday that Porl Thompson was not playing with the Cure. It's the first time I have seen the Cure without Porl in ages...at least since the early-80s. It was kind of strange.

The guy filling in for Porl on guitar looked vaguely familiar but I couldn't quite place a name to the face (and the shock-white hair). I just found out it is Reeves Gabrels, who used to play in Tin Machine and other David Bowie bands.

Edited by Strider

Ahhhh....memories of Memorial Day past. Ledzepfrvr, you were at the same Cal Jam as me...did you go to this US Festival, too? I missed the 1982 US Festival but made sure not to miss the 1983 version. Looked at thru the hindsight of history some of the billing seems strikingly odd. U2 below Missing Persons? Joe Walsh, Ozzy Osbourne, and Judas Priest below Triumph?

13325484_10153853587871888_1909909522027

Edited by Strider

• 3 weeks later...

20160614_202123.jpg

Holy crap! I saw someone nearly die on stage tonight. Still somewhat shaken to the core.

What a crazy good and, for about 15 minutes at the end, scary show! Silver Apples (which is down to just Simeon Coxe now) rocked the house and put the Troubadour's subwoofers to the test for a solid hour. The crowd was jumping and screaming for more and back came Simeon for the encore. 

Simeon started "You and I", when a few seconds into the song he said "hold on a second" and stepped away like he wanted to adjust something with his electronics. Then to the shock of all  us in the audience, he collapsed unconscious to the floor. :o One of the stagehands rushed to his side, 911 was called and his wife came to his aid as the house lights came on. For many harrowing minutes he lay motionless as they tried to give him some air and we waited for the paramedics.

Then about 10 hushed minutes later, Simeon regained consciousness and slowly sat up, and gradually was helped to his feet. The paramedics still had not arrived. Incredibly, Simeon refused to stop the show. He wanted to finish playing the encore. His wife and the Troubadour staff tried to get him off the stage but he wasn't having any of it...he would not leave the stage. So they set up a chair for him and kept the fan blowing cool air towards him, and with his wife behind him for support, Simeon...all of 78 years old and having just collapsed on stage...finished the show with "You and I". One of the most menorable moments I have ever witnessed at a concert.

As they say...The Show Must Go On! The night went from triumphant to near tragedy and ultimately heroic. That's Rock 'n' Roll!

He went to his dressing room and shortly after the paramedics finally made it to the Troubadour, and they could check him out. He seemed okay...I hope so.

I don't know if any music critics were there reviewing the show, so I don't know if this will make the news.

20160614_220815.jpg

On 2016-05-23 at 6:45 PM, Strider said:

Sad...but count yourself among the lucky ones who got to see one of his last performances. And for having good taste in music.

Oh I definitely do! :):thumbsup:

(Hope all is well Strider!)

• 5 months later...

My, oh my! This was totally last minute. 

I unexpectedly won two tickets in a random draw to the Global Citizen Festival in Mumbai, yesterday. I booked my flight just two friggin' days before the event. I dragged my dad along as he really knows Mumbai in and out! :P My flight to Mumbai was delayed by nearly two hours and I got to the venue just before the gates were about to close (at 4 PM). Anyhoo, I'm back in Bangalore and I am not travelling again any time soon! No siree, bob! Too bloody exhausting! Oh and the price of tickets ranged from (in terms of US currency): $295 to $1500 (reminded me of Geezerpalooza and other over hyped events). 

Oh and I got to see Coldplay live, thanks to this festival. Didn't know much about their catalogue, though, but I just wanted to see what the fuss was all about. Besides, I've never won any thing in my life and this sure felt pretty special!

Chris Martin and co. were cool, (I don't consider myself a fan even today). I wasn't screaming and yelling, unlike some of the kids in front but it was some cool music to listen to, live on a Saturday night.

Let's put it this way, had it been Rush who was headlining the festival, I would not only have screamed myself hoarse, but I might have even fainted from all the excitement! :P 

Besides, out of millions of people, just 80,000 of us won tickets. Those were pretty poor odds to start with! :lol: 

glo.JPG

glo2.JPG

glo3.JPG

glo4.JPG

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

On Saturday, December 03, 2016 at 6:39 PM, Strider said:

I have been meaning to ask how you liked the show? Your first BRMC show, right?

BRMC was really rocking...after the sonic onslaught of Death From Above '79, it was nice to hear some kick ass rock.

• 9 months later...

Absolutely amazing. The special guests were Stevie Wonder, and Chris Martin and Jonny Buckland. It was an incredible event and phenomenal show, and so generous of all of the artists to give their time, and of Dave Matthews to organize. The tickets were free (lottery), and all merchandise proceeds went to the cause.

Concert4Cville_Portal_SplashNewDoor.jpg

Gov't Mule , Saturday night at the Majestic Theater , Dallas TX

Set 1:

World Boss

Blind Man in the Dark

About to Rage

She Said She Said

> 'Tomorrow Never Knows' jam

Birth of the Mule

Million Miles From Yesterday

The Man I Want to Be

Good Morning, School Girl

(with Gordie Johnson & Rey Arteaga)

Sco-Mule

Set 2:

Brighter Days

Thorazine Shuffle

Doing It to Death

(with Rey Arteaga)

Sarah, Surrender

(with Rey Arteaga)

Stone Cold Rage

(with Rey Arteaga)

Traveling Tune

(with Gordie Johnson & Rey Arteaga; with 'Little Martha' tease)

30 Days in the Hole

Mississippi Queen

I Don't Need No Doctor

Encore:

Get Behind the Mule

(Tom Waits cover) (with Gordie Johnson &  Rey Arteaga)

20170930_214415.jpg

PicsArt_10-02-12.44.28.jpg

PicsArt_10-02-12.48.16.jpg

Edited by zepscoda