Summer plans

Virginia

She's in Lake Monticello, which is surrounded by horse farms. I went kayaking there, and visited some of the earliest presidents' homes. There's an animal sanctuary we do volunteer work for, nearby. They had a party while we were there, with lots of ribs and a pretty good bluegrass band. Love the country side, but don't care for driving on the twisty roads - especially at night.

That is a really pretty area :)

We were just in Virginia, Virginia. Mom lives near Charlottesville, on a lake - beautiful area.

I was just near there over the last few days crossing Skyline Drive above Shenandoah Valley. What a coincidence! :)

I've enjoyed some extremely relaxing picnics at the Peaks of Otter, which I believe is off of the Skyline drive. Plan on going back to Luray caverns sometime soon - I hope they still have the organ that plays notes on the stalagtites (or is it stalagmites?) working there...

I've enjoyed some extremely relaxing picnics at the Peaks of Otter, which I believe is off of the Skyline drive. Plan on going back to Luray caverns sometime soon - I hope they still have the organ that plays notes on the stalagtites (or is it stalagmites?) working there...

I love it there! I haven't been since I was about 12 but I vividly remember how absolutely breathtaking the views are from up there. Beautiful place to visit!

I haven't been to Peaks of Otter before, but I think that's in/near Bedford, which is sort of south central VA. I went to Luray Caverns when I was around 10; that was pretty cool!

I love it there! I haven't been since I was about 12 but I vividly remember how absolutely breathtaking the views are from up there. Beautiful place to visit!

It's a great state to live in! We have mountains, the ocean, skiing, arts/culture, award winning wineries, an annual film festival and top notch higher ed. And much more :)

Ive enjoyed some extremely relaxing picnics at the Peaks of Otter, which I believe is off of the Skyline drive. Plan on going back to Luray caverns sometime soon - I hope they still have the organ that plays notes on the stalagtites (or is it stalagmites?) working there...

I dont believe thats off Skyline Drive. Its definately off the Blue Ridge Parkway which DOES become Skyline Drive though.

I camped at Peaks of Otter one night. The next morning at the crack of dawn I was awoken abruptly by a Ranger saying they were getting ready to spray for Gypsy Moths. So I hightailed it out of there and went to the restaurant nearby for breakfast and watched the helicopters spray their poison. The day before I hiked to the summit there above the camping area. :)

The Blue Ridge Pkwy/Skyline Drive are fantastic. I stayed on a farm that was a major confederate war camp on the Spotswood Trail. That was the first road west from the Virginia plains heading over the Blue Ridge Mountains, the first impeding barrier for the colonists.

Archived