Surprising Success of Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

SuperDave

In depth article and interview with Robert and Alison conducted just prior to their current tour during rehearsals in Nashville. They talk about how the project came together, how successful it's been and Robert talks about the 02 show and the possibility of working with the others in Led Zeppelin in the future.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol...ll&offset=0

Here's an excerpt with Robert.

I ask Plant about the Led Zeppelin reunion concert, when he, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham, the son of their late drummer John Bonham, took to the stage in tribute to Ertegün, who died the year before. Plant talks with warmth and feeling, but also elliptically. “I had to deal with people I’ve known since I was 19. But I don’t know ’em. I wanna know them. But I don’t know how to know them because I don’t have the key that takes you back through stuff, close enough to really be on the same level, platform…

“It’s just very strange. I really would love to know and embrace all that – but I don’t know how to do it.”

Will touring with Krauss and Burnett help him find the key?

“No, I don’t think so. The key is in my heart. And if other people’s hearts are in different places, you know… It’s not about doing something again or going through the motions of all the stuff. It’s just about stimulation – we have to stimulate each other. And have to be in environments that have some kind of payback. This [project with Krauss] is one of ’em.”

I seek a blunter tack and ask him the £100 million question (£100 million is how much Led Zeppelin have reportedly been offered to reunite properly): will they do a tour?

“I don’t know. I don’t hear any bells ringing.”

So you’re not saying no…

“It’s not about – you mustn’t do that! We were having a great conversation; that’s such a silly thing to say. Because how do we know what it is? It’s not about putting four blokes on a stage and going and doing a gig.”

It seems that Robert would like to get together with the others, but he doesn't know how to go about doing it. He seems worried that the material (if they decide to record new songs) may not be as good or that they could perform as well as they did when they were in Zeppelin. I think the 02 show is perfect proof that they can. Just as long as they put their minds to it with clear heads, come up with good material and perform as they did at the 02 show and Robert doesn't need to worry. Even though it's a completely different project, just look at the reviews he and Alison are already getting and their tour has just begun. Have a set plan that is well organized and it should be a success!

Does this sound right or would you do it differently and is this why you think Robert is a bit of a holdout?

Robert Plant recognizes that a commitment to tour is a great responsibility. He considers where his true purpose is at the moment and follows his true calling. He assesses his current energy level, level of interest, passion, stamina, desire, musical inclination, instinct, where his soul is taking him, artistic vision, and his ability to rebound from any taxing elements before he commits; my view anyway.

This reminds me of an Italian classical conductor who worked for many years leading an orchestra. As he moved into his 90s, he withdrew from performing. I forget how he put it in his own words, but it was something to the effect that he had moved into a different part of his life. Serenity becomes more important as the years progress and energies are spent.

When I ask who wears the trousers in this partnership, Plant fires back in typical knockabout style: “Depends on what day it is. She puts up with some of my rather lewd English, Black Country stuff. And I have to wait for her to get ready, ha ha ha. That kinda balances it out a bit.”

“That’s fair,” Krauss agrees. “I am tardy!”

Asked if this is her most annoying habit, Plant says no, it’s her addiction to her mobile phone and her love of a gossip. He pretends he has a phone cradled in his neck and mimics Krauss’s hushed, Midwestern tones: “Oh, did he say that? Oh no. And was he happy about it? Uh-huh.” He claps his hands delightedly. “She’s in love with a thousand people and they all call her! And her phone’s on the music stand while we’re rehearsing.”

And Plant’s most annoying habit? Krauss, with her polite, rather Southern sensibility, initially demurs. Plant helps out: “Can I just say… Lovebomb.”

“Ohhhh!” Krauss hollers. “There you go, that’s it! He talks about this girl and I just wanna puke every time.”

Who is Lovebomb?

“She’s just an effigy that I’ve created,” Plant yelps.

An idealised vision of woman?

“F*****’ not ’alf!”

“Yeah, we don’t wanna hear about that…” Krauss groans. Now both of them are purring and mewling and guffawing.

“I suppose,” Plant says, as he recovers some composure, “this is how Lou Reed must have been with Patti Smith.”

Seeing his frustration, Plant’s empathetic new partner rides to his rescue.

“We could talk about Lovebomb again!” Krauss chimes in. “She’s a hundred years younger than him!”

“Ah, she will always be there,” Plant rhapsodises, oddly, “somewhere, in a Shakespearean sonnet!” I have no idea what he’s talking about, but Krauss is lolling about on the sofa, pretending to barf.

I have no idea what this is about. Sometimes you need an interpreter to understand his Plantations.

Maybe his real reason for the Raising Sand Tour is to find the elusive "lovebomb". :blink::D

When I ask who wears the trousers in this partnership, Plant fires back in typical knockabout style: “Depends on what day it is. She puts up with some of my rather lewd English, Black Country stuff. And I have to wait for her to get ready, ha ha ha. That kinda balances it out a bit.”

Asked if this is her most annoying habit, Plant says no, it’s her addiction to her mobile phone and her love of a gossip. He pretends he has a phone cradled in his neck and mimics Krauss’s hushed, Midwestern tones: “Oh, did he say that? Oh no. And was he happy about it? Uh-huh.” He claps his hands delightedly. “She’s in love with a thousand people and they all call her! And her phone’s on the music stand while we’re rehearsing.”

And Plant’s most annoying habit? Krauss, with her polite, rather Southern sensibility, initially demurs. Plant helps out: “Can I just say… Lovebomb.”

“Ohhhh!” Krauss hollers. “There you go, that’s it! He talks about this girl and I just wanna puke every time.”

Who is Lovebomb?

“F*****’ not ’alf!”

“Yeah, we don’t wanna hear about that…” Krauss groans. Now both of them are purring and mewling and guffawing.

“I suppose,” Plant says, as he recovers some composure, “this is how Lou Reed must have been with Patti Smith.”

“We could talk about Lovebomb again!” Krauss chimes in. “She’s a hundred years younger than him!”

“Ah, she will always be there,” Plant rhapsodises, oddly, “somewhere, in a Shakespearean sonnet!” I have no idea what he’s talking about, but Krauss is lolling about on the sofa, pretending to barf.

I have no idea what this is about. Sometimes you need an interpreter to understand his Plantations.

Maybe his real reason for the Raising Sand Tour is to find the elusive "lovebomb". :blink::D

Maybe lovebomb = bombshell, aka the It Girl, to phrase it bluntly. Think of a Shakespearean version of a hottie and you get the picture. It's really very simple; you recognize her when you see her.

I just don't think about it anymore. It's important to stay out of his mind sometimes. It's enough that he's in it busy thinking of things. Usually when men talk like that it means they wish their love lives were more active. When things get too quiet, their energy goes into their fantasies. Robert Plant is naturally expressive.

I agree with Robert Plant about cell phones. I strongly dislike cell phones when people use them intrusively in a public place, such as a bus, grocery store, or bank. I don't mind if they are speaking quietly a distance away in softer, soothing tones.

But when they have big arguments, or a mother gets into an authoritarian mode with her children over the phone; they can take it somewhere else. I don't want to hear the loudly expressed details of their important private real estate deals, or about the kids misbehaving, et cetera. Having such an insightful window on people's private lives in a public place jars me.

What Modern Bombshell Are You Most Like?

You Are Most Like Charlize Theroncharlize.jpg

“I think of myself as a highly sexual creature.”

I agree with Robert Plant about cell phones. I strongly dislike cell phones when people use them intrusively in a public place, such as a bus, grocery store, or bank. I don't mind if they are speaking quietly a distance away in softer, soothing tones.

Actually, I was being misleading when I said I didnt understand this. I do understand what he is saying but sometimes I get impatient with his roundabout way of saying things. Especially now, I trying to quit smoking and I have very little patience left for anything.

So, here is what I got from it. If you read the Shakespeare's sonnets 127-152, there is a woman known as the dark lady. She had poor Shakespeare all tied up in knots. Some sonnets he loves her , others he is really angry at her. scholars have tried to figure out who she is, but its just one of those things we will never know. I can understand Robert feeling the same way Shakespeare did in those sonnets, maybe toward all women or maybe a particular woman. Who knows.

About him creating this woman in effigy, I guess he was saying that his woman doesnt have to be perfect, she just has to love him.

On cell phones, I really get annoyed when people talk on them in elevators.

Here is Robert Plant and a funny cell phone story that I will close with.

I dreamed one night that I was at a dinner but my cell phone kept ringing so I never got to eat. One of the people that called was Robert. He was at an outdoor farmers market. He asked me if I had ever ate an avocado. I said no. He said you should try them I know you would like it. I told him that I had to go. Several minutes later, he called again. This time he wanted to discuss pineapples. I got really mad at this point and hung up the phone. When I realized all the food was gone, I went inside the building and laid my cell phone on a table in the hallway. Then went into the bathroom to hide. I could hear the phone ringing and people wanting to know whose phone it was. Then I woke up.

BTW, I bought a avocado recently and I love them.

Maybe lovebomb = bombshell, aka the It Girl, to phrase it bluntly. Think of a Shakespearean version of a hottie and you get the picture. It's really very simple; you recognize her when you see her.

I just don't think about it anymore. It's important to stay out of his mind sometimes. It's enough that he's in it busy thinking of things. Usually when men talk like that it means they wish their love lives were more active. When things get too quiet, their energy goes into their fantasies. Robert Plant is naturally expressive.

But when they have big arguments, or a mother gets into an authoritarian mode with her children over the phone; they can take it somewhere else. I don't want to hear the loudly expressed details of their important private real estate deals, or about the kids misbehaving, et cetera. Having such an insightful window on people's private lives in a public place jars me.

It's kind of funny that Robert mentions that he doesn't like the way some people not only overuse cell (mobile) phones, but use them most inappropriately. A few years ago I remember hearing that Robert himself was pulled over by the British Police for using his cell phone while driving. I guess he learned his lesson. Should be banned everywhere while driving unless it's a hands free unit. They still do it whether it's against the law or not in many areas of the U.S. They just constantly use them and feel they have a right to use their phone whether it's bothersome to others. They feel what they're doing is most important.

It seems that Robert would like to get together with the others, but he doesn't know how to go about doing it. He seems worried that the material (if they decide to record new songs) may not be as good or that they could perform as well as they did when they were in Zeppelin. I think the 02 show is perfect proof that they can. Just as long as they put their minds to it with clear heads, come up with good material and perform as they did at the 02 show and Robert doesn't need to worry. Even though it's a completely different project, just look at the reviews he and Alison are already getting and their tour has just begun. Have a set plan that is well organized and it should be a success!

Does this sound right or would you do it differently and is this why you think Robert is a bit of a holdout?

Robert should at the end of the tour with Alison krauss .Take time out and relax and maybe have some time with jimmy and john paul jones and get to know them as friends again; as its been a long time since he has worked with them.The key for Robert is to think about all the "line up" of musicians he's played with during his solo career and at the end of the day think about who can inspire him again .As for Alison krauss well the next step for there collaboration would/should be NEW (No Cover Versions)Material that has to stand on its own merit. I believe that if Robert continues to do another project with Alison; and he continues doing "cover versions" of led zeppelin songs on stage than that would be worse than all the old bands that have gone past there use by dates still doing the rounds in there late sixties.so what that means; continue doing led zeppelin covers; and face being ridiculed after a while or move on and produce another new direction as only he can take the path to his journey in life.

Robert should at the end of the tour with Alison krauss .Take time out and relax and maybe have some time with jimmy and john paul jones and get to know them as friends again; as its been a long time since he has worked with them.The key for Robert is to think about all the "line up" of musicians he's played with during his solo career and at the end of the day think about who can inspire him again .As for Alison krauss well the next step for there collaboration would/should be NEW (No Cover Versions)Material that has to stand on its own merit. I believe that if Robert continues to do another project with Alison; and he continues doing "cover versions" of led zeppelin songs on stage than that would be worse than all the old bands that have gone past there use by dates still doing the rounds in there late sixties.so what that means; continue doing led zeppelin covers; and face being ridiculed after a while or move on and produce another new direction as only he can take the path to his journey in life.

I think he likes the music, but the scale of the event and the media frenzy that would be whipped up by big money would be more trouble than it would be worth unless he wanted that again.

he is probably happy being more relevant after a quiet period of his career, and maybe this outside of the popular culture mainstream success is a nice place for him to be in at this life stage?

- also, maybe as a singer, he likes the vocals and the song to be out front instead of standing around during jimmy's solo's?

I think he likes the music, but the scale of the event and the media frenzy that would be whipped up by big money would be more trouble than it would be worth unless he wanted that again.

he is probably happy being more relevant after a quiet period of his career, and maybe this outside of the popular culture mainstream success is a nice place for him to be in at this life stage?

- also, maybe as a singer, he likes the vocals and the song to be out front instead of standing around during jimmy's solo's?

So that is why Jimmy Page has been hanging out with Jerry Lee Lewis; he can deal with Jimmy's solos.

Who is Lovebomb? Well Being that I was at the same show and saw "Lovebomb" sitting right in front, I see the sense of humor is still very much intact..........

"Oh yes I saw those smiles at her while you were singing....that effigy!

Krauss chirps in......

“F*****’ not ’alf!”

"Hey ....no fair......only a decade......."

Oh yea...." He has this long lost "Lovebomb" somebody form his past that he thinks looks the same 100 years younger still" " He doesn't even know how to find "Lovebomb"

Poor guy Krauss laughs.....Doesn't she have a cell phone?

Archived