Zeppelin & the Stones

Okay, so I'm going to post this in the newbie section because I feel like an idiot for asking:

I couldn't help but notice that on some songs (including Gallows Pole, Tangerine, Immigrant Song, Misty Mountain Hop, Night Flight, etc.) were recorded at Headley Grange, Hampshire with The Rolling Stones Mobile Studio. Did Zeppelin have a special relationship with the Stones or am I looking into this way too much?

This has been on my mind because I've always recognized Zeppelin's supreme sound quality in their recordings, while The Rolling Stones seem to lack refined sound quality.

-TYG

the stone's had a mobile recording studio that was available for hire. it wasn't for the stone's exclusive use, so zeppelin weren't pulling any friendly favours as such in using it. many artisits did as it was intended as business project

bob marley's 'live at the lyceum' was recorded with it, as were many others

the stone's had a mobile recording studio that was available for hire. it wasn't for the stone's exclusive use, so zeppelin weren't pulling any friendly favours as such in using it. many artisits did as it was intended as business project

bob marley's 'live at the lyceum' was recorded with it, as were many others

Thanks for clearing that up! :D

-TYG

one of the most famous mentions of it is in purple's 'smoke on the water'

"The Rolling Truck Stones Thing" - it was used to record Machine Head.

In regards to the different sound quality between Zep and the Stones, that comes down to the engineering and producing of the recording.

"The Rolling Truck Stones Thing" - it was used to record Machine Head.

In regards to the different sound quality between Zep and the Stones, that comes down to the engineering and producing of the recording.

And to the sound/mood they were looking for...

I think the Mobile was sold to a Canadian in the 90's... If my memory's right!

That truck is a f_cking legend!

Holy Relic of Rock 'n' Roll...

just like the leather suit Elvis was wearing at his '68 Comeback! B)

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from Zeppelin using the Stones Mobile Unit on occasion (as did a lot of other artists, as has been pointed out), in spite of Mick and Keith's occasional jabs at Zeppelin's music, they seem to have had a good working and personal relationship. Particularly Keith, Ronnie Wood and Page (or maybe that's because they all got their cocaine from the same supplier, a Merck rep friend of Keith's). After all, that IS Jimmy Page playing the solos on "One Hit To The Body" (not to mention a couple of unreleased jams in the mid 70's such as "Scarlet"; Woody also sat in with Zeppelin on the '75 tour); Jagger and the Stones' businessmen took a lot from how Peter Grant rewrote the book on artists VS promoters (i.e. the infamous 90/10 split) in the early seventies. Peter Grant also managed Ronnie Wood's early band The Birds. Woody also claims in his memoirs that Grant approached him to join Zeppelin; personally I reckon this story is just an example of the slight pickling effect alcohol has had on Ron Wood's brain over the years. Especially as Woody presents the scenario as Peter Grant having assembled Plant, Jonesy and Bonham and needing to find a guitarist!!!!

...Of course, it goes without saying that, if Zeppelin actually does go on tour (big if), all the records the Stones set on the "Bigger Bang" tour (probably their long-overdue swansong, IMO) will be subsequently blown out of the water. Heh heh...just like in the good old days, back in the seventies...