Why I love Zeppelin

I understand totally,I first heard zep in 1971 at age 11 and i have loved them ever since.Isaw them live in Manchester England in 72 and when they opened with rock and roll it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.I saw them 3 years later at earls court London in may 75.Of course they opened with rock and roll again and it had the same effect.I am still listening to them over thirty years later and i never tire of them.I still enjoy other bands,lynyrd skynyrd zz top allman brothers etc,or anyone who can play a mean guitar,but zep will always be my number 1.

I feel ya!!!

I am 37. I got into LZ in 1998. It was my buddy Brad that turned me on to Heart. Then he told me that Heart was influnced by Zep.

I can't get the ordeer right, but I guess I went from Zoso/LZ2/LZ1/LZ3/HOTH/PG/ITTOD/P/SRTS.

I would sayt that PG is my favorite. WTLB/WIAWSNB/LS/CPie/ALS/TOcean/TCrunge/IMTOD/BIGLY are among my favorites. I also thought for at least 6 months that Robert Palmer was the former lead singer of LZ. Then my buddy told me it was Robert Plant from the Honneydrippers. I found it hard to belive.

They are the best, and I listen to a lot of music. Band wise there is no one consistantly in my MP3 player. Only James Brown rivals them for my attention.

Mc7

I discovered Led Zeppelin around the age of 14. My neighbor (Brian) who was about 10 or 12 years older than me was into music heavily. Every weekend he would be outside washing his new truck, and I would offer to help him. It started to become a weekly ritual, and when I was finished helping him, he would take me around the area we lived and just cruise around. He would turn me on to all this music I had yet to discover. He always had something new playing in his tape deck. My first memories of The Who, Iron Maiden, Rush, Jethro Tull, Motley Crue, Ratt and many others came from the speakers of his truck. I'd always ask ,"who's this??" and he'd tell me the bands name usually followed by a little bit of info on the group. I thought this guy was the coolest. You have to keep in mind that this was the mid-to late 80's and Hair Metal ruled MTV and pop-culture. One day he put a tape in and didn't say a word......."Hey, hey mamma said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove" poured from the speakers followed by this massive riff that could destroy Satan himslf. I instantly new this was different from anything I had heard in my 14 years of life. I shouted over the music,"Who is this?" Brian answered,"Led Zeppelin, one of the greatest bands ever". I was hooked.

He then played The Rover and once again, the riff blew me away. It was so heavy and musical. I subscibed to one of those music companies that sold tapes and cd's (BMG music). You paid for the first tape and then the others were free and you paid for shipping. Anyone remember? I ordered a few from Rush and ZZ Top and Led Zeppelin IV. I recieved them in the mail a week later and played the hell out of Zep IV until the felt started to fade on the bottom of the tape. Brian also gave me Led Zep II on vinyl around this time. I didn't have a state of the art record player, but there was my little brothers Fisher Price record player with a mini speaker in it, used for playing childrens records, etc. Once I put on the first track I was hooked. The Fisher Price record player was transformed into my own personal escape. Markings of "Zeppelin Rulez" were written all over the tiny white record player. It was now mine. My friends at the time were all into the fad, fashion and music of the day. I tried to turn them on to Zeppelin, but it was over their heads. They didn't understand the musicality of this new band I was introduced to. I slowly became an outsider to my pack of friends and was lightly joked uopn because of my taste in music. But I knew deep down that what I liked was truly music. I knew it was good and it had meaning, passion and soul-which the music of the day lacked completely. Zeppelin was like a revelation to me.

Soon after I started to study and read about them through books and magazines. I would travel 5 miles round trip on my bike to the closest music shop called Acorn Records and Tapes. Every week I would by a new Zeppelin or Zep related album unil my collection was complete. I became obsessed with Zeppelin. They were all I listened to. My parents told me it was okay to listen to music but to be that much into just one band all the time was little over the top. I didn't care. I couldn't get enough of them, and with each album and song I became more fixated on their whole purpose. I bought Hammer of the Gods like every other fool and believed it all, until I realised it was mosltly bullshit years later. With all of this going on at one time, I took an interest in playing guitar. My mom bought me a $99 guitar with a built-in speaker from Sears or something. It took one 9V battery. I joined a music class as an elective in High School and met a bunch of cool guys who were moslty into the same stuff as myself. There were a few Hair Band activist, who I was cool with but never had any real communication with. They didn't like Zep a whole lot, so I didn't care much for them. It's almost as if I didn't really trust or respect them because they didn't like Zeppelin. How could these guys not care for Zeppelin??? Were they insane?. We would have arguments about who was the best band and all that jazz - and at times I became very defensive. I held Zeppelin very close to my heart. They were in a way my savior from all the trash on the radio/TV.

I soon noticed that my talent for playing guitar came very natural to me. I never learned to read music, but I could hear something once or twice and figure out the chords and play it. I formed a band with two other classmates and ironically called the band "Achilles"...go figure. After playing the guitar for a few months , I gained interest in the drums and managed to get a hold of an old Rogers drum set. This was my position in the band. Again, my co-ordination was natural. I became quite good in a short period of time. We wrote our own music, which to this day sounds pretty good. It was more on the metal side of things - like Metallica or Iron Maiden. Achilles did a few talent shows for school and a few parties here and there.

It was now 1989. There were two Classic Rock radio stations at this time who basically played the same stuff. 92.3 "Classic Rock" and WRNO 99.5 "The Rock of New Orleans" On weekends and school nights when I had nothing to do, I would glue myself to the radio and just listen, I would spend hours engulfed in the music coming into my room. As time passed, I was able to name any song on the radio, the artist, the year, the album, etc. You name it, I knew it. This was my HOMEWORK.

A few years passed, as the routine continued. Around the age of 19 or 20 I started to collect bootlegs and managed to aquire a nice size collection. I had boots from every year. Probably 40 concerts in all. By this time my entire room was covered with Zep posters, memorabilia, etc. (which I have all lost since then, due to Hurricane Katrina in 2005) My band had split up and I was looking for a new project to get into. I knew my talents would take me somewhere, and most of all I enjoyed it. A friend of mine was looking to join a group but they needed a bass player, not a drummer. I had always had an interest in bass and now was a good time to try it out. I borrowed a bass from a musical friend and it was just as natural as any other instrument. I was new to the instrument, so I wasn't all that flashy yet, but I knew the notes, which was good enough for now. I was also singing a bit at the time. After a few jam sessions, a new band was formed called "DeJa Vu". We played top 40 classic rock and a few originals.

My love for Zeppelin was still strong, even though I had managed to appreciate other great bands like Rush and Pink Floyd, none of the new music was of interest. Everything I liked was considered "old". (Classic Rock) I also aquired a love for the blues, which again was inspired by my love for Zeppelin. Zeppelin opened my eyes to how music should be composed and arranged- not only how to play.

I was born on October 23rd, 1973. The year Houses of the Holy was released, almost to the day. What better way to celebrate my love, than a permanant mark? Me and a few buddies of mine decided to get a tattoo one evning...Mine.....We'll I had the indide cover of HOTH engraved on my left arm. You know, the pic of the guy holding the adolecent child over his head. Looks exactly like it, except bigger. I brought the album with me that night so the artist couls sketch it out on paper...It looks beautiful to this day...Another reminder of The Zeppelin.....

In 1997, I formed a trio with my brother on drums, a guitar player and myself on bass/vocals called "Three Piece White Meat". The name was hilarious, but we were hungry musicians who played around town consistantly. We did originals with a mix of Zeppelin, Rush and Black Sabbath. We were all heavy into Zeppelin and the guitar players father owned a record shop. The next few years of my life would be spent in and out of this shop, buying anything available from Zeppelin. My collection was getting bigger and bigger. It was good to finally realise at this point that the path I had chosen (musical preference) was indeed a good one, because my like-minded friends all had good taste and had been through that same phase in life. My friends had good taste, and I suppose so did I. It all made sense. All the years I had been teased because of what I had listened to, didn't matter anymore. I knew from an early age that what I embraced was going to shape my life and it did.

In 2000, I had the pleasure of meeting one of my idols. Mr. JPJ at the HOB in New Orleans. He was supporting his Zooma LP. After a fantastic show, I waited outside for 3 hours to meet him. As he came out, I got nervous. I didn't know what to say!!!! After he signed a few autograph I asked him to take a few pics with me and sign a few things. I told him what an impact he had on my life growing up and he seemed really humbled by my comments. He was very polite and easy going. After the pics he said to me "good luck with your music, I hope you do well out there" and he disappeard into the dark ally. I was speechless for days. I couldn't believe I actually met JPJ. It was incredible. My brother and some friends (who also met him that night) were all in a daze for a week or so. Did we just meet The Master of Bass??? Yes, we did.

A year or so later, I formed another Trio called "Endora's Mask" which still exist to this day. You can check out a few tunes at:

http://www.myspace.com/endorasmask

Our Zeppelin influence in subtle but obvious in certain phrasings and arragements. It's very tasteful and unique, which is hard to come by these days. I wouldn't say that we sound like any one band, really. It's a good mix of classic vs. modern. See for yourself. So If you are wondering.....

What does Zeppelin mean to me?.............

Everthing.

They are the most influential rock band of all time.

They have shaped my past, present and future.

And for that, I am very grateful to be who I am today.

Zeppelin Rulez!

What a story men. The same Zep influence has impacted on me.

I feel like the music comes out of my heart, and Im really thankful for that.

Hi,thanks for sharing that with me.My first intro to zep was at age 11.My older brother had just got zep 4 and i came home just as black dog was ending,then rock and roll started,wow i lved it even at my young age.When it finished i asked him to play it again and he did.He was delighted that his kid brother was getting into led zep.Two years later,still only 13 he took me to see them live in Manchester and when the lights went down and we heard that great drum intro we turned and smiled to each other,how perfect that they opened with the first song i ever heard of theirs,and i remember the hairs on the back of my neck standing up.Truly a moment i will never forget.Three years later i saw them again.But by this time they had grown huge and we had to queue over night for tickets such was the demand.But on saturday may 24 i saw them at earls court London.When they came on stage and i heard that drum intro again it had the same effect as the first time.I am still listening to them 35 years later and i never tire of them.Great sharing memories with you,hope to hear from you again,keep rockin.

Hi i fully understand what you say.I was lucky enough to see them twice,in 72 and 75.I often wish i had seen them a few more times but i suppose i am being greedy.I should be satisfied with twice.Keep rockin.

Hi i fully understand what you say.I was lucky enough to see them twice,in 72 and 75.I often wish i had seen them a few more times but i suppose i am being greedy.I should be satisfied with twice.Keep rockin.

When I first started to really understand what was going on with Zep's music...you know, really picturing these guys jamming on the studio tracks and listening-really listening to every little thing that was going on, it would literally give me the goosebumps. Know what I mean people? When you hear that part of a song (whatever it might be) and when it comes around full circle it sends a chill - goosebumps over you body. (The guitar solo to Achilles Last Stand and For Your Life does it to me everytime - amoung countless others) That's when you know somethings great, when it has that emotional and physical profound effect on you. That's what the Zep did for me, and I realised how powerful they were, to move me that way. They made me wanna play rock n' roll.....! So that's what I did.

Hey, woman from SoCal, I was in that friggin earthquake, too! First I heard of Pagey being there, poor guy. And to the guy who was asking if HOTG was so bad.....yes, yes it was (IMHO). I got the thing mainly to learn about their music and how they came up with it and rehearsed it and recorded it, but I got mostly crap I didn't need to know (and wished I could forget).

It was '83 or '84 when I really got into them. I was on a long bus trip and somebody had a boombox (look it up, kids) playing IV and I was instantly hooked. When I got home I bought all of their records and was just going crazy with their music for about 5 years straight. My friend and I used to lay down between the big speakers and face them towards each other and crank Zeppelin for hours. One of our favs was What Is and What Should Never Be, because of the guitar going back and forth. I think I was having orgasms in my brain. If I went out of town, I HAD to bring my Zeppelin albums with me. If I couldn't, I'd go into withdrawl. Wait, this isn't inspiring, it's pathetic. Nevermind :wacko:

Rock Historian and Dodge, those are great stories. I loved reading about how people discovered Zep and, not only why they love Zep, but why, after decades, the band and its music are still important to them. In any case, why I love Zep:

Discovering LZ was a turning point in my life - their music (and my concert experiences) took hold of my being and opened the world to me. All these years later, those feelings haven’t gone away. Nearly 40 years (and hundreds of other bands’ concerts and albums) later, Zep’s music still speaks to me and still moves me in a way that no other music ever has. Attending those LZ concerts was a rite of passage for me (and for thousands of other young fans). Zep were, and still are, the soundtrack of my youth. As someone who was a hardcore fan back in Zep’s glory days, and as someone who remains a fan to this day, I know that Zep are part of who I was then and are part of who I am now.

With the exception of a handful of very personal events involving my family and friends, there are few times when I felt so connected and so much a part of something as I did when I was at a Zep concert. Those experiences were so personal and so profound that, all these years later, the feeling hasn’t gone away. LZ will always be a part of me, embedded in my DNA – I’ve learned that will always be so - even if I wished it were otherwise. As hard as I’ve tried, I couldn’t exorcize my Zep memories (and believe me, I have tried). I couldn’t change that fact that Zep are, and always will be, forever entwined with my memories of my youth. "Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit." Vergil's Aeneid, I.203

Led Zeppelin gave Me a Ruler to Measure Good Music by.Sad to say few bands measure up to the standards they set.They have at times made turbulent days calm and calm days turbulent.Thier main effect is that they relax My Heart and Soul and in the same Breath they Stir my Passion for Life.

Hey.. very nice story.

Something similar had happened to me when my dad once brought LZ II and said to me put this on, will you? I was 12, and had no idea what that "strange" music filled with gutural sounds meant. But I was hooked :o anyway, so since then I never stop loving them, it runs into my veins, what can I say that has not been said....They were and will be unique, one in a million.

Later I discovered Yes, Pink Floyd, ELP, Deep Purple and not many more. Nowadays, when my sons hear that trash-can sounds I'm glad I've been part of the revolution. I find it higly unlikely for them to experience what we did..to feel a song in a mental and physical way as it were part of our nature as human beings. I Insist, I don't take part in all the artificiality current music is. I used to look inside the song, to search for an explanation.

When I first heard Stairway..., for instance. Many great songs locked in one. Or When the leeve... that riff in the right time and place, that harmonica "Planted" where no other thing must be...

I was aware I'd never find naivety in some lirycs, on the contrary, whatever they carry on them was in the mayority, sensuality. So my mother warned me: be careful what you hear! (as if it were to stop me form hearing) :D.

So, in many ways, rock was regarded as a bad influence. But we knew, as youngsters, what to expect from it.

Way down inside, we need it.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey, woman from SoCal, I was in that friggin earthquake, too! First I heard of Pagey being there, poor guy. And to the guy who was asking if HOTG was so bad.....yes, yes it was (IMHO). I got the thing mainly to learn about their music and how they came up with it and rehearsed it and recorded it, but I got mostly crap I didn't need to know (and wished I could forget).

It was '83 or '84 when I really got into them. I was on a long bus trip and somebody had a boombox (look it up, kids) playing IV and I was instantly hooked. When I got home I bought all of their records and was just going crazy with their music for about 5 years straight. My friend and I used to lay down between the big speakers and face them towards each other and crank Zeppelin for hours. One of our favs was What Is and What Should Never Be, because of the guitar going back and forth. I think I was having orgasms in my brain. If I went out of town, I HAD to bring my Zeppelin albums with me. If I couldn't, I'd go into withdrawl. Wait, this isn't inspiring, it's pathetic. Nevermind :wacko:

You were in that earthquake, too? What a small world!

I like Led Zeppelin mostly because of music, then lyrics and song meaning. I discovered Led Zeppelin by listening to "Stairway To Heaven". I thought this is one of the greatest and most beautiful things I've ever heard.

• 2 months later...

Glad to see that there are those of you who have similar stories of how Zeppelin grabbed you....That's primarily what this site is all about. It has changed some of our lives and made us appreciate and realize what good music is. Seriously, if I meet someone and happen to talk music one of the first questions I ask them is "do you like Zeppelin"? If they don't give a shit about them or at least like a handful of songs- I almost don't trust their taste in music. To me, if your a rock music fan and don't have Zeppelin in your top list- somethings wrong...just my way of thinking - I'm glad to be a part of this site and to have made some good (pen pal) friends. Thanks everyone for checking out my story and for adding all the comments...keep em' coming!

One footnote I would like to add; Peter Grant wanted every Zeppelin fan to "feel like they were in a club". For the most part and how I felt regarding Led Zeppelin (as a fan), throughout the years, he achieved his objective.

Well done Peter :)

I discovered Led Zeppelin around the age of 14. My neighbor (Brian) who was about 10 or 12 years older than me was into music heavily. Every weekend he would be outside washing his new truck, and I would offer to help him. It started to become a weekly ritual, and when I was finished helping him, he would take me around the area we lived and just cruise around. He would turn me on to all this music I had yet to discover. He always had something new playing in his tape deck. My first memories of The Who, Iron Maiden, Rush, Jethro Tull, Motley Crue, Ratt and many others came from the speakers of his truck. I'd always ask ,"who's this??" and he'd tell me the bands name usually followed by a little bit of info on the group. I thought this guy was the coolest. You have to keep in mind that this was the mid-to late 80's and Hair Metal ruled MTV and pop-culture. One day he put a tape in and didn't say a word......."Hey, hey mamma said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove" poured from the speakers followed by this massive riff that could destroy Satan himslf. I instantly new this was different from anything I had heard in my 14 years of life. I shouted over the music,"Who is this?" Brian answered,"Led Zeppelin, one of the greatest bands ever". I was hooked.

He then played The Rover and once again, the riff blew me away. It was so heavy and musical. I subscibed to one of those music companies that sold tapes and cd's (BMG music). You paid for the first tape and then the others were free and you paid for shipping. Anyone remember? I ordered a few from Rush and ZZ Top and Led Zeppelin IV. I recieved them in the mail a week later and played the hell out of Zep IV until the felt started to fade on the bottom of the tape. Brian also gave me Led Zep II on vinyl around this time. I didn't have a state of the art record player, but there was my little brothers Fisher Price record player with a mini speaker in it, used for playing childrens records, etc. Once I put on the first track I was hooked. The Fisher Price record player was transformed into my own personal escape. Markings of "Zeppelin Rulez" were written all over the tiny white record player. It was now mine. My friends at the time were all into the fad, fashion and music of the day. I tried to turn them on to Zeppelin, but it was over their heads. They didn't understand the musicality of this new band I was introduced to. I slowly became an outsider to my pack of friends and was lightly joked uopn because of my taste in music. But I knew deep down that what I liked was truly music. I knew it was good and it had meaning, passion and soul-which the music of the day lacked completely. Zeppelin was like a revelation to me.

Soon after I started to study and read about them through books and magazines. I would travel 5 miles round trip on my bike to the closest music shop called Acorn Records and Tapes. Every week I would by a new Zeppelin or Zep related album unil my collection was complete. I became obsessed with Zeppelin. They were all I listened to. My parents told me it was okay to listen to music but to be that much into just one band all the time was little over the top. I didn't care. I couldn't get enough of them, and with each album and song I became more fixated on their whole purpose. I bought Hammer of the Gods like every other fool and believed it all, until I realised it was mosltly bullshit years later. With all of this going on at one time, I took an interest in playing guitar. My mom bought me a $99 guitar with a built-in speaker from Sears or something. It took one 9V battery. I joined a music class as an elective in High School and met a bunch of cool guys who were moslty into the same stuff as myself. There were a few Hair Band activist, who I was cool with but never had any real communication with. They didn't like Zep a whole lot, so I didn't care much for them. It's almost as if I didn't really trust or respect them because they didn't like Zeppelin. How could these guys not care for Zeppelin??? Were they insane?. We would have arguments about who was the best band and all that jazz - and at times I became very defensive. I held Zeppelin very close to my heart. They were in a way my savior from all the trash on the radio/TV.

I soon noticed that my talent for playing guitar came very natural to me. I never learned to read music, but I could hear something once or twice and figure out the chords and play it. I formed a band with two other classmates and ironically called the band "Achilles"...go figure. After playing the guitar for a few months , I gained interest in the drums and managed to get a hold of an old Rogers drum set. This was my position in the band. Again, my co-ordination was natural. I became quite good in a short period of time. We wrote our own music, which to this day sounds pretty good. It was more on the metal side of things - like Metallica or Iron Maiden. Achilles did a few talent shows for school and a few parties here and there.

It was now 1989. There were two Classic Rock radio stations at this time who basically played the same stuff. 92.3 "Classic Rock" and WRNO 99.5 "The Rock of New Orleans" On weekends and school nights when I had nothing to do, I would glue myself to the radio and just listen, I would spend hours engulfed in the music coming into my room. As time passed, I was able to name any song on the radio, the artist, the year, the album, etc. You name it, I knew it. This was my HOMEWORK.

A few years passed, as the routine continued. Around the age of 19 or 20 I started to collect bootlegs and managed to aquire a nice size collection. I had boots from every year. Probably 40 concerts in all. By this time my entire room was covered with Zep posters, memorabilia, etc. (which I have all lost since then, due to Hurricane Katrina in 2005) My band had split up and I was looking for a new project to get into. I knew my talents would take me somewhere, and most of all I enjoyed it. A friend of mine was looking to join a group but they needed a bass player, not a drummer. I had always had an interest in bass and now was a good time to try it out. I borrowed a bass from a musical friend and it was just as natural as any other instrument. I was new to the instrument, so I wasn't all that flashy yet, but I knew the notes, which was good enough for now. I was also singing a bit at the time. After a few jam sessions, a new band was formed called "DeJa Vu". We played top 40 classic rock and a few originals.

My love for Zeppelin was still strong, even though I had managed to appreciate other great bands like Rush and Pink Floyd, none of the new music was of interest. Everything I liked was considered "old". (Classic Rock) I also aquired a love for the blues, which again was inspired by my love for Zeppelin. Zeppelin opened my eyes to how music should be composed and arranged- not only how to play.

I was born on October 23rd, 1973. The year Houses of the Holy was released, almost to the day. What better way to celebrate my love, than a permanant mark? Me and a few buddies of mine decided to get a tattoo one evning...Mine.....We'll I had the indide cover of HOTH engraved on my left arm. You know, the pic of the guy holding the adolecent child over his head. Looks exactly like it, except bigger. I brought the album with me that night so the artist couls sketch it out on paper...It looks beautiful to this day...Another reminder of The Zeppelin.....

In 1997, I formed a trio with my brother on drums, a guitar player and myself on bass/vocals called "Three Piece White Meat". The name was hilarious, but we were hungry musicians who played around town consistantly. We did originals with a mix of Zeppelin, Rush and Black Sabbath. We were all heavy into Zeppelin and the guitar players father owned a record shop. The next few years of my life would be spent in and out of this shop, buying anything available from Zeppelin. My collection was getting bigger and bigger. It was good to finally realise at this point that the path I had chosen (musical preference) was indeed a good one, because my like-minded friends all had good taste and had been through that same phase in life. My friends had good taste, and I suppose so did I. It all made sense. All the years I had been teased because of what I had listened to, didn't matter anymore. I knew from an early age that what I embraced was going to shape my life and it did.

In 2000, I had the pleasure of meeting one of my idols. Mr. JPJ at the HOB in New Orleans. He was supporting his Zooma LP. After a fantastic show, I waited outside for 3 hours to meet him. As he came out, I got nervous. I didn't know what to say!!!! After he signed a few autograph I asked him to take a few pics with me and sign a few things. I told him what an impact he had on my life growing up and he seemed really humbled by my comments. He was very polite and easy going. After the pics he said to me "good luck with your music, I hope you do well out there" and he disappeard into the dark ally. I was speechless for days. I couldn't believe I actually met JPJ. It was incredible. My brother and some friends (who also met him that night) were all in a daze for a week or so. Did we just meet The Master of Bass??? Yes, we did.

A year or so later, I formed another Trio called "Endora's Mask" which still exist to this day. You can check out a few tunes at:

Our Zeppelin influence in subtle but obvious in certain phrasings and arragements. It's very tasteful and unique, which is hard to come by these days. I wouldn't say that we sound like any one band, really. It's a good mix of classic vs. modern. See for yourself. So If you are wondering.....

Everthing.

Zeppelin Rulez!

How's it going "Rock Historian?" I really enjoyed your essay as well, well said! LED ZEPPELIN, without a doubt, IS STILL, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, THE GREATEST LIVE SHOW ON EARTH! ROCK ON!

Everthing.

Zeppelin Rulez!

Hay, i was born October 23 too, :):yay: and that's a really cool story

EDIT: Why do i love zeppelin, coz the very first time i heard them i fell in love with their music and they had everything a band should have, preasence, chemistry, and inspirationable and memerable music.

I'm Soooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad I found this site! I've been wanting to get this out for years and explain why I love Zeppelin. Now I can tell my story to people who care!

Hammer of THE ZEPPELIN!

My musical life started with my 1st record player. It was red. My Mom had my sister and I listening to Mother Goose, and Alibaba and the 40 thieves, w/a book that you read along with. At the same time I was taking Piano lessons. I wanted to play guitar! My Uncle played acoustic and electric. this is happening in 1976? (maybe) I was born Dec. 8 1968. Very close to when "The New Yardbirds" were born. At that point it was my Mom and my 1st Step-Dad. But after Alibaba, I saw a commercial on T.V. and it was "Surf & Drag". My Mom bought me the album. I was mowing lawns by then and paid her back. Beach Boys/Jan and Dean type stuff. I liked the guitar in these songs! Eventually it was just a "Phase" I was looking for more. And I found it. My Mom had some L.P's stored in our "End Tables" and I was flipping thru and found "Elvis". 1st full LP with him and his guitar. I played it and I was BLOWN AWAY! Then, there was the next Elvis LP, and then,"Oh My God!" It was "Meet The Beatles."!!!!!!!!!! It took me awhile to get thru those 3 albums, but when I did, the next one was SGT. PEPPERS! I couldn't believe my ears! I wasn't even 10! I didn't have any idea what drugs were, and I felt like I was on Acid or LSD. I do believe that around that time(looking back) that I was hearing Stairway, and other FM 70's songs on my Mom's radio in her car. My Mom's car was a Dark Blue 69' Chevelle Malibu (4dr) That my Mom and Dad bought after they had me, and got married. Yes, in that order. I vividly remember Paul Simon, and The Doobie Bros.

Anyway, Aug.16th 1977, I remember it as if it was yesterday! That night we were laying around watching T.V. maybe Dallas? Or Mash? It doesn't matter, but whatever it was that we were watching was interrupted, and they said "Elvis is Dead". "The King is Dead". My Step-father was in his "Easy chair", my Mom and my Sister were on the couch, and I was laying on the floor in front of the fireplace. Which obviously wasn't burning, because it was August, but I was in Shock! At that point I was already an Elvis fan. I didn't realize what kind of shape "Elvis" was in at that time, I was just listening to his early music. I looked at My Mom, and she did a good job of containing her emotions. My "Little Sister" was (Oblivious), her 1st album that she ordered and my Mom bought, was "Box Car Willy." My Step-Dad was actually very comforting about the whole situation. He eventually went out and bought the "Moody Blue" album and the LP is actually blue. I found it in their room one day when I was "snooping around" and believe it or not, played the hell out of it. That's when I got into "The Blues". I already had "The Blues", watched my parents fight like "Cat's and Dogs" get divorced, at this point lived w/ my Mom and Step-Dad, and only saw "My Dad" every other weekend. That really opened a "Gate". I could "relate" to the songs. At way too young of an age.

Fast/Forward! Sorry, "To get the impact, you have to know the history!

15, at this point my Sis and I are living w/ my Dad and Stepmother. She has a son from a previous marriage, so we have a "Step-Brother". At this point I have collected more"Elvis Re-issues". Other than that we listen to Kay C Kaysems (sp) top 40 every sunday. And we go to Church every sunday. I liked my Elvis/Beatles, and top 40, and at that time my parents had the big Stereo system, that looked like a huge wall to wall console! It had the turn-table/8-trak, and the Radio. And Head Phones! I listened to Elton Johns' Greatest Hits, The BEE-Gee's(sp) C.C.R. and then...... It was like "THE BIG BANG"!!!!!

I was 16, I bought my own truck, w/a cassette player. I just listened to the radio. One day my best friend stuck in "Motley Crue" He said they were the Hottest band around. I let it go in one ear and out the other. I thought it sounded like shit. And I was happy w/ top 40. this was 1984/85? . I was oblivious to a lot of good music. Eventually one nite my Stepmother and I were watching 20/20 and they had a segment, on Heavy Metal and Acid Rock and how it would send everybody straight to hell. She explained about her up-bringing in Southern California, and why this music wasn't good to listen to and why we were "Christians", and then all of the sudden they played the beginning of "Shout at the Devil" and started talking about how "Bad" Motley crue were. I was "Hooked"!!!!!!

F.Forward again, eventually I was a Crue-Head, and W.A.S.P. fan. My parents thought I was going straight to hell. My walls were covered w/ Crue/Wasp pictures. The back of my door was covered w/ the full length "Blackie Lawless" picture. I could recite every lyric from Shout at the Devil, and the WASP album, Enter my "Stoner Step Cousin" from Seattle!

One day I had a magazine(Hit Parader) I had cut out all the pictures that I wanted, and my cousin asked me if I was done with it, and he said, "Oh My God"!!! This is Robert Plant!! (I had never heard of him or Zep). It was a picture of him from 1985 from the "Live Aid" concert. I couldn't have cared less. He explained to me that he was (only) the lead singer from the best band ever! I said "yeah right", all that mattered to me was Crue/Wasp. He did throw in a tape one afternoon, and I don't remember if it was "Communication" or "I Can't Quit you", but it sounded like a bunch of screaming to me. I blew it off and he let it go, but later I was on our annual camping trip for the opening weekend of Trout season, and I went into one of my Dad's friends camp trailers, and he and another of our group were getting stoned, and talking about how great Zep were, and esp. Zep 4. That turned on the light's for me, here were 2 adults, talking about Zep, not just my cousin. Then I forgot about them again. But the next time I got a magazine it was(maybe circus), but I don't know, anyway it had "East vs West" a big run- down of British Hard Rock Bands, compared to American Hard Rock bands. The article on Zep mesmerized me. Clearly by the way this article was written they had to be the best band ever, and I was a little miffed w/ Crue because they followed up Shout at The Devil W/ Theatre of Pain. Anyway I went right out and bought TSRTS. It had all the songs on it that the article had mentioned. I was a little put off by the live sound right off the bat, but quickly recognized Stairway, and realized that I had heard that as a kid. Black Dog was awesome, the Rain Song and No Quarter killed me, Dazed and Confused, altered the rest of my life. I listened to that song every night for so long. That's what put me to sleep. By the time they hit Sanfrancisco, and somewhere in the middle of the "Bow Solo" I was asleep. Then I would wake up during the guitar solo and shut it off. I've never been a pot smoker, and when I got into Zep I hadn't even drank alcohol at that point. Good music is like a drug. Just like when I listened to SGT. PEPPERS, it put me in a different world.

Sorry, gotta move on....... After TSRTS I got IV, Thought I had found "heaven" You can't imagine how many friends I have driven crazy trying to convince them that "Zep is It". Then Zep II, I wore both of them tapes out. It's kind of a shame,I got to go thru all of these tapes(cassettes) out of order. All that mattered is that when I was finally done digesting one of them, I would go get another. When taken in order, each of them is a different experience, mood, vibe! At the same time I also got into Aerosmith(Greatist Hits), And Deep Purple,(Deepest Purple). And I still like Elvis and The Beatles. I put it like this;

Elvis is God!

The Beatles & Led Zeppelin

(are the disciples)

Everyone else are followers!

I have lot's more to say eventually. This article just barely got me into Zep! Each album has a special meaning to it, and once I Watched TSRTS, (over & over & over) I finally found the opportunity to get into "Boot-Legs". And I don't often listen to "Studio Zep" anymore, or watch "TSRTS". What does that say for Led Zeppelins legacy as a great live band!

I'm Soooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad I found this site! I've been wanting to get this out for years and explain why I love Zeppelin. Now I can tell my story to people who care!

Hammer of THE ZEPPELIN!

My musical life started with my 1st record player. It was red. My Mom had my sister and I listening to Mother Goose, and Alibaba and the 40 thieves, w/a book that you read along with. At the same time I was taking Piano lessons. I wanted to play guitar! My Uncle played acoustic and electric. this is happening in 1976? (maybe) I was born Dec. 8 1968. Very close to when "The New Yardbirds" were born. At that point it was my Mom and my 1st Step-Dad. But after Alibaba, I saw a commercial on T.V. and it was "Surf & Drag". My Mom bought me the album. I was mowing lawns by then and paid her back. Beach Boys/Jan and Dean type stuff. I liked the guitar in these songs! Eventually it was just a "Phase" I was looking for more. And I found it. My Mom had some L.P's stored in our "End Tables" and I was flipping thru and found "Elvis". 1st full LP with him and his guitar. I played it and I was BLOWN AWAY! Then, there was the next Elvis LP, and then,"Oh My God!" It was "Meet The Beatles."!!!!!!!!!! It took me awhile to get thru those 3 albums, but when I did, the next one was SGT. PEPPERS! I couldn't believe my ears! I wasn't even 10! I didn't have any idea what drugs were, and I felt like I was on Acid or LSD. I do believe that around that time(looking back) that I was hearing Stairway, and other FM 70's songs on my Mom's radio in her car. My Mom's car was a Dark Blue 69' Chevelle Malibu (4dr) That my Mom and Dad bought after they had me, and got married. Yes, in that order. I vividly remember Paul Simon, and The Doobie Bros.

Anyway, Aug.16th 1977, I remember it as if it was yesterday! That night we were laying around watching T.V. maybe Dallas? Or Mash? It doesn't matter, but whatever it was that we were watching was interrupted, and they said "Elvis is Dead". "The King is Dead". My Step-father was in his "Easy chair", my Mom and my Sister were on the couch, and I was laying on the floor in front of the fireplace. Which obviously wasn't burning, because it was August, but I was in Shock! At that point I was already an Elvis fan. I didn't realize what kind of shape "Elvis" was in at that time, I was just listening to his early music. I looked at My Mom, and she did a good job of containing her emotions. My "Little Sister" was (Oblivious), her 1st album that she ordered and my Mom bought, was "Box Car Willy." My Step-Dad was actually very comforting about the whole situation. He eventually went out and bought the "Moody Blue" album and the LP is actually blue. I found it in their room one day when I was "snooping around" and believe it or not, played the hell out of it. That's when I got into "The Blues". I already had "The Blues", watched my parents fight like "Cat's and Dogs" get divorced, at this point lived w/ my Mom and Step-Dad, and only saw "My Dad" every other weekend. That really opened a "Gate". I could "relate" to the songs. At way too young of an age.

Fast/Forward! Sorry, "To get the impact, you have to know the history!

15, at this point my Sis and I are living w/ my Dad and Stepmother. She has a son from a previous marriage, so we have a "Step-Brother". At this point I have collected more"Elvis Re-issues". Other than that we listen to Kay C Kaysems (sp) top 40 every sunday. And we go to Church every sunday. I liked my Elvis/Beatles, and top 40, and at that time my parents had the big Stereo system, that looked like a huge wall to wall console! It had the turn-table/8-trak, and the Radio. And Head Phones! I listened to Elton Johns' Greatest Hits, The BEE-Gee's(sp) C.C.R. and then...... It was like "THE BIG BANG"!!!!!

I was 16, I bought my own truck, w/a cassette player. I just listened to the radio. One day my best friend stuck in "Motley Crue" He said they were the Hottest band around. I let it go in one ear and out the other. I thought it sounded like shit. And I was happy w/ top 40. this was 1984/85? . I was oblivious to a lot of good music. Eventually one nite my Stepmother and I were watching 20/20 and they had a segment, on Heavy Metal and Acid Rock and how it would send everybody straight to hell. She explained about her up-bringing in Southern California, and why this music wasn't good to listen to and why we were "Christians", and then all of the sudden they played the beginning of "Shout at the Devil" and started talking about how "Bad" Motley crue were. I was "Hooked"!!!!!!

F.Forward again, eventually I was a Crue-Head, and W.A.S.P. fan. My parents thought I was going straight to hell. My walls were covered w/ Crue/Wasp pictures. The back of my door was covered w/ the full length "Blackie Lawless" picture. I could recite every lyric from Shout at the Devil, and the WASP album, Enter my "Stoner Step Cousin" from Seattle!

One day I had a magazine(Hit Parader) I had cut out all the pictures that I wanted, and my cousin asked me if I was done with it, and he said, "Oh My God"!!! This is Robert Plant!! (I had never heard of him or Zep). It was a picture of him from 1985 from the "Live Aid" concert. I couldn't have cared less. He explained to me that he was (only) the lead singer from the best band ever! I said "yeah right", all that mattered to me was Crue/Wasp. He did throw in a tape one afternoon, and I don't remember if it was "Communication" or "I Can't Quit you", but it sounded like a bunch of screaming to me. I blew it off and he let it go, but later I was on our annual camping trip for the opening weekend of Trout season, and I went into one of my Dad's friends camp trailers, and he and another of our group were getting stoned, and talking about how great Zep were, and esp. Zep 4. That turned on the light's for me, here were 2 adults, talking about Zep, not just my cousin. Then I forgot about them again. But the next time I got a magazine it was(maybe circus), but I don't know, anyway it had "East vs West" a big run- down of British Hard Rock Bands, compared to American Hard Rock bands. The article on Zep mesmerized me. Clearly by the way this article was written they had to be the best band ever, and I was a little miffed w/ Crue because they followed up Shout at The Devil W/ Theatre of Pain. Anyway I went right out and bought TSRTS. It had all the songs on it that the article had mentioned. I was a little put off by the live sound right off the bat, but quickly recognized Stairway, and realized that I had heard that as a kid. Black Dog was awesome, the Rain Song and No Quarter killed me, Dazed and Confused, altered the rest of my life. I listened to that song every night for so long. That's what put me to sleep. By the time they hit Sanfrancisco, and somewhere in the middle of the "Bow Solo" I was asleep. Then I would wake up during the guitar solo and shut it off. I've never been a pot smoker, and when I got into Zep I hadn't even drank alcohol at that point. Good music is like a drug. Just like when I listened to SGT. PEPPERS, it put me in a different world.

Sorry, gotta move on....... After TSRTS I got IV, Thought I had found "heaven" You can't imagine how many friends I have driven crazy trying to convince them that "Zep is It". Then Zep II, I wore both of them tapes out. It's kind of a shame,I got to go thru all of these tapes(cassettes) out of order. All that mattered is that when I was finally done digesting one of them, I would go get another. When taken in order, each of them is a different experience, mood, vibe! At the same time I also got into Aerosmith(Greatist Hits), And Deep Purple,(Deepest Purple). And I still like Elvis and The Beatles. I put it like this;

Elvis is God!

The Beatles & Led Zeppelin

(are the disciples)

Everyone else are followers!

I have lot's more to say eventually. This article just barely got me into Zep! Each album has a special meaning to it, and once I Watched TSRTS, (over & over & over) I finally found the opportunity to get into "Boot-Legs". And I don't often listen to "Studio Zep" anymore, or watch "TSRTS". What does that say for Led Zeppelins legacy as a great live band!

Sorry you were a Motley Crue fan...that' the kind of stuff that made Zeppelin such a salvation for me. I was trying to escape that era of music. Glad you finally discovered the truth and good music!

Sorry you were a Motley Crue fan...that' the kind of stuff that made Zeppelin such a salvation for me. I was trying to escape that era of music. Glad you finally discovered the truth and good music!

You are 500% right! I rambled on so long in my "How I found out about Zep Story" that I forgot to mention that once I got on board, nothing else compared and nothing else ever will. When it comes down to "Motley Crue" and I saw them 4 times, nothing compares to Zep! Wasp? when I saw them "Live" I was like"Okay"? is this it? I also watched Kiss, Aerosmith, and every other band I could ever want to watch. I'm not going to mention all of them, because even though this a LZ web-site dedicated to the "Complete Mastery" of " LED ZEPPELIN", I would probably "Offend" someone by stating the simple fact that Zep completely RULE! In the end, nobody else matters. I can't exactly say I'm "ashamed" of liking some of these other bands, it was a progression, but once I found Zep that was it. And I haven't found anything since then to change my mind. Hopefully this makes my point a little more clear!

Rock Historian,

Great in depth story on getting into Zeppelin. Really enjoyed it. Also really loved your tunes with Endoras Mask. Keep up the good work. Your band has a lot of potential. Hopefully, some day Endoras Mask will make it up to the NYC area for some shows.

My dad was a huge Zep fan in his youth, but I just liked classics like Bach when I was 5 years old. One Evening my dad watched TSRTS on our TV and I happened to get into the room right when Robert said"I think it's a song of hope". I listened all the song long and decided that rock wasn't this bad at all and forgot it again. But I was more openminded then and learned to love the Beatles and other old bands my dad played to me. I forgot the name Led Zeppelin, but the word "Rock" was irreperably linked with the picture of Robert standing in front of the yellow lights and looking like an angel.

Then years later I had become a guitar player and rock addicted. I read a guitar mag with a Zep-Biography and transcribed riffs. I looked at the pictures (love at first sight with Robert) and tryed to play the riffs (failed poorly). My dad gave me LZ I and I was finally and irreperably addicted. Since this day I read and listened to everything Zeprelated that went through my hands. And with every new song I heart, a new image appeared in my memory.

So everytime I hear Presence I smell the summerstorm that roared outside when I first heard it, and When the Levee breaks beams me back to the Toscana, watching the Dvd brings the perfume of birthday cake.

But the strongest memory allways will be sitting on my dads lap and listen to the immortal guitar solo of Stairway to heaven.

My dad was a huge Zep fan in his youth, but I just liked classics like Bach when I was 5 years old. One Evening my dad watched TSRTS on our TV and I happened to get into the room right when Robert said"I think it's a song of hope". I listened all the song long and decided that rock wasn't this bad at all and forgot it again. But I was more openminded then and learned to love the Beatles and other old bands my dad played to me. I forgot the name Led Zeppelin, but the word "Rock" was irreperably linked with the picture of Robert standing in front of the yellow lights and looking like an angel.

Then years later I had become a guitar player and rock addicted. I read a guitar mag with a Zep-Biography and transcribed riffs. I looked at the pictures (love at first sight with Robert) and tryed to play the riffs (failed poorly). My dad gave me LZ I and I was finally and irreperably addicted. Since this day I read and listened to everything Zeprelated that went through my hands. And with every new song I heart, a new image appeared in my memory.

So everytime I hear Presence I smell the summerstorm that roared outside when I first heard it, and When the Levee breaks beams me back to the Toscana, watching the Dvd brings the perfume of birthday cake.

But the strongest memory allways will be sitting on my dads lap and listen to the immortal guitar solo of Stairway to heaven.

It is fun to hear how other people heard of Zeppelin for the first time....I can remember highscholl 1975..my older brother Dean loved Led Zeppelin and it would be blasting in his car every single time you got in....I loved it....I knew every song..and the memories are endless to this day ....I dont think there is and ever will any music that can make me as happy as Zep...I was never able to go to a concert when I was younger....so when I heard about the o2 reunion..I knew I had to be there...I was incredibly lucky....We went there with no tickets from Illinois to London. I have never wanted anything so bad in my life...well we happened to meet a ticket broker in london from chicago...and at the second he got off the phone from someone that could not make the concert

...we were at the right place and the right time.......I cant even describe to you the feeling I had....

My older brother that gave me the joy of led zeppelin music had died a couple of years ago in a tragic atv accident...but I know he was with me in spirit as I walked into that 02 arena..they played all Deans favorite songs.........The most incredible experience of my life......................................

Archived