Studio Guitar Solo of Stairway To Heaven

bolowyn

Hey, I just spotted this on youtube. Some Munich-based guitar guy claiming that Page didn't play on Stairway. What the f**k!! Like, this is my favourite piece of music in all human history. But it's not the first time I've heard this claim. My drinking buddy wasn't surprised, he said he's *known* all along, says all you have to do is listen to the live versions and you can tell that it isn't the same guitarist. But his real source is supposed to be Tim Martin who was Page's guitar tech. Apparently, Martin told a friend of HIS way back that he was there when it was being laid down and it wasn't Page. Now this brings me back to the time I first heard the live solo on TSRTS, to be honest I was shocked at the difference, having gotten to know every intricacy of the IV version. I now love the TSRTS version, and many other boot versions even more (notably the one off Going To California).

What do you think people? Has anyone else heard anything about this? Wouldn't this shake the very foundations of rock music itself?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M1mol3Zo4w

Hey Dude,

Check out the Wikipedia entry for Stairway to Heaven:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stairway_to_heaven

It says that "Sound engineer Andy Johns recalls the circumstances surrounding the recording of Page's famous solo:

“ I remember Jimmy had a little bit of trouble with the solo on "Stairway to Heaven"... [H]e hadn't completely figured it out. "

That's strange!! What the heck? He hadn't "figured it out" !!!! Go figure!!!

Brendano

Hey, I just spotted this on youtube. Some Munich-based guitar guy claiming that Page didn't play on Stairway. What the f**k!! Like, this is my favourite piece of music in all human history. But it's not the first time I've heard this claim. My drinking buddy wasn't surprised, he said he's *known* all along, says all you have to do is listen to the live versions and you can tell that it isn't the same guitarist. But his real source is supposed to be Tim Martin who was Page's guitar tech. Apparently, Martin told a friend of HIS way back that he was there when it was being laid down and it wasn't Page. Now this brings me back to the time I first heard the live solo on TSRTS, to be honest I was shocked at the difference, having gotten to know every intricacy of the IV version. I now love the TSRTS version, and many other boot versions even more (notably the one off Going To California).

What do you think people? Has anyone else heard anything about this? Wouldn't this shake the very foundations of rock music itself?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M1mol3Zo4w

Hi all,

Anyone want to be a bridge? :D

According to Page(in one of the guitar mags) he did 4 different versions of the solo(!),he also said that he used the old Telecaster and a small (Supro?) amp,.....

Page didn't play the solo? :burp:

KB

From what I have read, although he had switched to Les Pauls by then, he plugged in the Telecaster for the solo-----and the solo just sounded right that way.

Oh well, maybe Robert Plant played lead guitar on it.

...his real source is supposed to be Tim Martin who was Page's guitar tech. Apparently, Martin told a friend of HIS way back that he was there when it was being laid down and it wasn't Page...

Before this silliness goes any further, Ray "Raymondo" Thomas was Page's guitar tech when they recorded Stairway..., not Tim Martin.

IIRC Tim Martin worked for Jimmy post-Zeppelin. So he wasn't there. Or does he have a time machine? ;)

Somebody has been pulling somebody else's leg... either Tim Martin was winding up your buddy, (or was that your buddy's buddy? how many times removed was the story?) or your buddy was winding you up.

Either way, the story's BS.

It says that "Sound engineer Andy Johns recalls the circumstances surrounding the recording of Page's famous solo:

If my memory serves me correct Page wasn't happy with Andy Johns-----the sound was too muddy because the studio monitors were too bright, and "the monitors lied".

If my memory serves me correct Page wasn't happy with Andy Johns-----the sound was too muddy because the studio monitors were too bright, and "the monitors lied".

Yes, Andy had insisted they mix the album at Sunset Sound in LA, and when Jimmy heard the finished product he was furious...I believe the quote was "it sounded like it had been recorded under Loch Ness".

I recall Jimmy saying he did four takes and they were all good. Would love to hear the outtakes!

Yeah, I think he said 3 takes (maybe 4 though), and he winged them all, they weren't planned out. I remember the interviewer (Guitar World, if memory serves) being incredulous and saying "you winged the solo?!" Page said something like "yeah, I always did". He said something about warming up, then banging out a few variations of the solo, and then picking the best one. The interviewer then said something like "you mean there are alternate Stairway solos on the master tape??" Page said "yes, but the best one was used, I assure you".

Again, all from memory, but I think it's pretty close...

Yes, Andy had insisted they mix the album at Sunset Sound in LA, and when Jimmy heard the finished product he was furious...I believe the quote was "it sounded like it had been recorded under Loch Ness".

Hold on hold on!! Listen, my friend couldn't remember the name of the guitar tech so I googled him. It must have been Andy Johns then, heck I don't know the name of all the personnel, bar the band, and Cole and Grant. My source is not one to bullshit, is a die hard fan, and wouldn't make this up. Me, I'm also a die hard fan, trying to make up for the years now I was too young to see Zepp.

Anyway, a lot of you seem to dismess this information as bullshit. You're entitled to do that, freedom of speech and all that. Maybe the truth is to unbelievable for you, if it is true that is. If it is true, and that's an if at the end of the day, then it is HUGE. I picked up the guitar at the age of 16 vowing not to stop til I could play all of Stairway. The song is an inspiration to me.

Sorry people, but I'm on the fence about this solo business. Sure, Page improvised a lot, but did he ever come close to this one? It fans the flames of the argument that it's a different guitarist, something that's always been in my mind in the sense that I compartmentalized STH as something above and beyond the rest of their catalog, and that goes especially for the solo in Stairway.

Wait, are you saying Page never got close to playing the solo note-for-note in concert, therefore he wasn't the original player? Or are you saying he never came close to playing another solo as good on album, so he couldn't have been the player?

Wait, are you saying Page never got close to playing the solo note-for-note in concert, therefore he wasn't the original player? Or are you saying he never came close to playing another solo as good on album, so he couldn't have been the player?

I'm open minded as to whether he played the guitar solo on the original studio version.

I'm open minded as to whether he played the guitar solo on the original studio version.

Then you're a dummy. Jimmy was a session player. He used to play OTHER artists' parts in the studio to make them look good. There is no way he would allow anyone else to do that to him in Zep, let alone try to maintain a conspiracy about it afterwards.

Then you're a dummy. Jimmy was a session player. He used to play OTHER artists' parts in the studio to make them look good. There is no way he would allow anyone else to do that to him in Zep, let alone try to maintain a conspiracy about it afterwards.

Hey, no need to be rude. Buddy. A dummy? People get locked in cellars for years, people say no tha twould never happen, then it comes out and people are silent. Who's the dummy then. Sir.

I've never heard this before and objectively find it very hard to believed. There is enough corroborating evidence around - the fact that for years everyone involved has told the same story - about Page going in and playing 3 (or was it 4) solos on the fly, leaning against an amp with a cigarette in his mouth. He has talked specifically about the equipment he used.

The fact that the live solo is different is not evidence for the fact that the studio version is not his - there are plenty of other examples of that happening. I also suggest that rather than relying on TSRTS as your evidence, maybe you should get some bootlegs. My suggestion would be to seek out the first recorded show in which Stairway was played, and get back to me about your theory.

I also suggest next time you don't rely on the testimony of your 'drinking buddy' or at the very least, don't tell us he's your drinking buddy. Hurts your credibility a bit, don't you agree?

I guess now is the time to come clean.

It was me. I recorded the guitar solo as well as snuck into the studio with a squeaky hinge during the recording of SIBLY. I also flew the airplane while they were recording parts of Physical Graffiti.

I apologize for all the pain and suffering I've inflicted all these years.

I'm also D. B. Cooper.

I guess now is the time to come clean.

It was me. I recorded the guitar solo as well as snuck into the studio with a squeaky hinge during the recording of SIBLY. I also flew the airplane while they were recording parts of Physical Graffiti.

I apologize for all the pain and suffering I've inflicted all these years.

I'm also D. B. Cooper.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

LMFAO!!!

I've never heard this before and objectively find it very hard to believed. There is enough corroborating evidence around - the fact that for years everyone involved has told the same story - about Page going in and playing 3 (or was it 4) solos on the fly, leaning against an amp with a cigarette in his mouth. He has talked specifically about the equipment he used.

The fact that the live solo is different is not evidence for the fact that the studio version is not his - there are plenty of other examples of that happening. I also suggest that rather than relying on TSRTS as your evidence, maybe you should get some bootlegs. My suggestion would be to seek out the first recorded show in which Stairway was played, and get back to me about your theory.

I also suggest next time you don't rely on the testimony of your 'drinking buddy' or at the very least, don't tell us he's your drinking buddy. Hurts your credibility a bit, don't you agree?

I believe he said he played three, and picked the best one. Given the huge amount of bootleg stuff, including studio outtakes, kind of incredible that they have never seen the light day isn't it? Don't know about leaning against the amp with a cig in his mouth - now that sounds a bit too gunslinging-rock-and-roll lore to me..

Yes, sure, I know there are many examples of live solos being different from studio ones - I have hundreds of bootlegs that illustrate this. And yes STH is always the first song I listen to especially when I'm discovering a bootleg from 71-72 (although I have most of them now). I'm just struck by the fact that it sounds like a different guitarist to the "Page" on LZ4's Stairway. Sounds like he's trying to cobble together bits of the studio one, and not doing a particularly great job either. The rest of the songs are definitely Page on 4, I mean just listen to the twisted but brilliant solo on Black Dog - very unorthadox but has Page written all over it. Same goes for Since I've Been Loving You - that's pure class - again almost disjointed and very idiosyncratic and pure Page to the core. And that's on 3, before anyone points that out to me.

Another thing, and some of you will agree I'm sure is that Apart from Achilles Last Stand, there was never a solo like the studio one of STH after 4. You know, with the same style. It was like Page lost his bottle and we had "Page-lite" solos after STH. Just listen to anything off HOTH or Phys Graf - don't you think they sound really weedy, and dare I say it, lame?

As for my drinking buddy! - so what? Why should I conceal the fact that we meet for a pint or three most Sunday afternoons while our missus's cook up a storm? Lots of people drink.

I believe he said he played three, and picked the best one. Given the huge amount of bootleg stuff, including studio outtakes, kind of incredible that they have never seen the light day isn't it? Don't know about leaning against the amp with a cig in his mouth - now that sounds a bit too gunslinging-rock-and-roll lore to me..

Yes, sure, I know there are many examples of live solos being different from studio ones - I have hundreds of bootlegs that illustrate this. And yes STH is always the first song I listen to especially when I'm discovering a bootleg from 71-72 (although I have most of them now). I'm just struck by the fact that it sounds like a different guitarist to the "Page" on LZ4's Stairway. Sounds like he's trying to cobble together bits of the studio one, and not doing a particularly great job either. The rest of the songs are definitely Page on 4, I mean just listen to the twisted but brilliant solo on Black Dog - very unorthadox but has Page written all over it. Same goes for Since I've Been Loving You - that's pure class - again almost disjointed and very idiosyncratic and pure Page to the core. And that's on 3, before anyone points that out to me.

Another thing, and some of you will agree I'm sure is that Apart from Achilles Last Stand, there was never a solo like the studio one of STH after 4. You know, with the same style. It was like Page lost his bottle and we had "Page-lite" solos after STH. Just listen to anything off HOTH or Phys Graf - don't you think they sound really weedy, and dare I say it, lame?

As for my drinking buddy! - so what? Why should I conceal the fact that we meet for a pint or three most Sunday afternoons while our missus's cook up a storm? Lots of people drink.

Archived