Cyclone Business

DoubleNecker

What do you guys think about this extremely deadly cyclone that just tore complete hell into Burma? I for one am amazed at the numbers. I mean, yesterday before I went to sleep, it was 4,000 dead/missing. And when I woke up it shot up to a massive 15,000 and NOW it's over 22,000. This is crazy.

Even though it sounds cruel (you can hate me for it. I care for the people who died, but i"m just throwing it out there) at least it's lowered the numbers of people in the world. I do think we have a slight population problem *looks at China* but if there's a problem, I'm sorry but that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it, and yes, I hope that the people who are missing can be found.

So....what do you guys think? Pretty insane...

What do you guys think about this extremely deadly cyclone that just tore complete hell into Burma? I for one am amazed at the numbers. I mean, yesterday before I went to sleep, it was 4,000 dead/missing. And when I woke up it shot up to a massive 15,000 and NOW it's over 22,000. This is crazy.

Even though it sounds cruel (you can hate me for it. I care for the people who died, but i"m just throwing it out there) at least it's lowered the numbers of people in the world. I do think we have a slight population problem *looks at China* but if there's a problem, I'm sorry but that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it, and yes, I hope that the people who are missing can be found.

So....what do you guys think? Pretty insane...

I think to say nature plays it course in our lives and in our modern time we cant control her is not cruel at all

over population is becoming a problem, we have seen food riots in the 3rd world and its effecting everyone

granted, I would never want people to die in any other way then natural causes, but it seems more humaine for people to die quickly in a cyclone then starve to death for weeks due to a food shortage

this sort of disaster makes Katrina look like a rain storm... Katrina was devestating, but i very sure the USA has never lost 22,000 people in one disaster

a sad story, indeed.

Sounds more like a bait to me. (and I just bit). But the words that come to mind there are insensitive, stupid, thoughtless and uncaring. So much so that I don't believe you. The real tragedy is for the survivors. Why didn't you mention them? Their lives are now seriously messed up.

Would you be willing to put an ad in their local paper stating and standing by your views?

Sounds more like a bait to me. (and I just bit). But the words that come to mind there are insensitive, stupid, thoughtless and uncaring. So much so that I don't believe you. The real tragedy is for the survivors. Why didn't you mention them? Their lives are now seriously messed up.

Would you be willing to put an ad in their local paper stating and standing by your views?

Hear, hear!

Well said

I think it just goes to show, if that many die at one time from one tragedy, there are just too many in one place. I bet once the water receeds you won't be able to tell anyone's gone. Parking will still be difficult for cars or rickshaw's.

Plenty of room in Kansas, but no one wants to be there. If they're gonna crawl all over each other to be in the same place some natural thinning must occur. One way or the other.

I see what you're saying doublenecker.

I read on yahoo the number is now over 200,000 verry sad and I doubt they got a evacuation notice like we do here.

I'd imagine the communcation line over there is word of mouth. And you know what they say when something is passed on that way. By the 200,000 person i'm sure the warning was for clear skies, mild temperatures and a slight breeze.

Why would anyone live in such a low lying area in such a density of population as must be there ? I bet that won't slow down the population growth or send people away. They'll come back in droves and keep overpopulating and strorms will hit again. They have legs, they should seek higher ground and stay there. But it won't happen.

I read on yahoo the number is now over 200,000 verry sad and I doubt they got a evacuation notice like we do here.

From what I have read today, Alwizard, you are right. The government of India had apparently told the government of Myanmar/Burma that the cyclone was due to hit two days before it slammed into Burma. What makes this tragedy even worse is that the poor people living in the low lying areas weren't warned by their own government.

Latest numbers are 50,000,000 dead. Think about it.

50 million? Is that serious? Because that doesn't sound right. There's only 53 million people in the whole country and you're saying only 3 million were left alive?

I kinda get what Doublenecker was saying... and I have a hunch he didn't mean it quite as insensitive as it sounded. If one is looking for the tiny piece of silver lining for that particular cloud, I confess that a population reduction probably isn't what would occur to me.

OTOH, I find this a kinda strange topic to decide to "goof on", but obviously some don't share that opinion. <_<

I hope the survivors get some assistance ASAP.

Now let me see if I can find a thread on pulling wings off of flies or killing puppies or something equally entertaining and lighthearted..

Just like his 2,000 times exaggeration. :rolleyes:

Did you notice less traffic on the road this evening ? I didn't.

Nice try to divert the attention away from you!!

My point was......would Doublenecker think the same thing if 50,000,000 people really did die?

Nice try to divert the attention away from you!!

My point was......would Doublenecker think the same thing if 50,000,000 people really did die?

What was that saying ? Better to be criticized than to be ignored.

But away from me? NO, I was pointing out your exaggeration, directing the shine on YOU, but I'd guess if it truly WAS 50,000,000 doublenecker's point would have been even more impressive. I still doubt the roads around here would be any less crowded though. <_< Damn!

No silver lining here, but maybe more corn.

From what I have read today, Alwizard, you are right. The government of India had apparently told the government of Myanmar/Burma that the cyclone was due to hit two days before it slammed into Burma. What makes this tragedy even worse is that the poor people living in the low lying areas weren't warned by their own government.

:wtf::wtf:

YANGON, Myanmar - The United States is "outraged" by Myanmar's delays in allowing relief workers and aid shipments into the cyclone-devastated country, the U.S. envoy to the United Nations said Thursday.

U.N. humanitarian chief called the situation in Myanmar "increasingly desperate" and estimated 1.5 million people were severely affected. A U.S. official said the Bush administration is considering air-dropping food and other supplies into Myanmar.

The military junta continued to stall on visas for U.N. teams seeking entry to ensure the aid is delivered to the victims amid fears that lack of safe food and drinking water could push the death toll above 100,000.

This is hard to imagine. What a horrible situation. We need to keep trying to help these people.

:wtf::wtf:

It's outrageous, isn't it? The response from the government of Myanmar was that they "warned" their citizens via newspaper and tv and radio broadcasts. The problem is that the people in those poverty stricken, low-lying areas were largely illiterate and had no access to tv or radio so they never received the warning.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5greyFH3...jN4KHgD90H7RL80

YANGON, Myanmar - The United States is "outraged" by Myanmar's delays in allowing relief workers and aid shipments into the cyclone-devastated country, the U.S. envoy to the United Nations said Thursday.

U.N. humanitarian chief called the situation in Myanmar "increasingly desperate" and estimated 1.5 million people were severely affected. A U.S. official said the Bush administration is considering air-dropping food and other supplies into Myanmar.

The military junta continued to stall on visas for U.N. teams seeking entry to ensure the aid is delivered to the victims amid fears that lack of safe food and drinking water could push the death toll above 100,000.

This is hard to imagine. What a horrible situation. We need to keep trying to help these people.

The tragedy is made worse because aid is being delayed that way: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/09/world/as...xprod=permalink

YANGON, Myanmar - The United States* is "outraged" by Myanmar's delays in allowing relief workers and aid shipments into the cyclone-devastated country, the U.S. envoy to the United Nations said Thursday.

*This is the same country that left New Orleans 8ft under water for a week before FEMA came to the "rescue"

Archived