The Police to play final concert in NYC

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK - The Police, who reunited for a 30th-anniversary world tour last year,

say their final concert will take place this summer in New York City.

The band, which split up in 1984, feels a special connection with New York. It played its first concert in America in the city. "We kicked off our very first American tour at CBGB's in 1978, and this summer, 30 years later, our journey will come full circle as we play our final show here in New York City," the band said in a statement Monday.

Frontman Sting, guitarist Andy Summers and drummer Stewart Copeland announced the final show at a news conference in Times Square with Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Proceeds from the concert will go toward arts programming for public television. The band also announced a separate $1 million donation to MillionTreesNYC, the city's initiative to plant a million trees by the year 2017.

The concert date and venue will be announced later.

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK - The Police, who reunited for a 30th-anniversary world tour last year,

say their final concert will take place this summer in New York City.

The band, which split up in 1984, feels a special connection with New York. It played its first concert in America in the city. "We kicked off our very first American tour at CBGB's in 1978, and this summer, 30 years later, our journey will come full circle as we play our final show here in New York City," the band said in a statement Monday.

Frontman Sting, guitarist Andy Summers and drummer Stewart Copeland announced the final show at a news conference in Times Square with Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Proceeds from the concert will go toward arts programming for public television. The band also announced a separate $1 million donation to MillionTreesNYC, the city's initiative to plant a million trees by the year 2017.

The concert date and venue will be announced later.

Thanks for sharing that article. My husband and I were both at that first Police gig at CB's, in 1978 - it was one of the first musical events we attended together. We saw the band a few times after that but neither of us became fans of the group.

Thanks for sharing that article. My husband and I were both at that first Police gig at CB's, in 1978 - it was one of the first musical events we attended together. We saw the band a few times after that but neither of us became fans of the group.

Lucky you! That would have been an amazing place to see them, especially in their formative years. Sad to think it's now some designer boutique isn't it :rolleyes:

Lucky you! That would have been an amazing place to see them, especially in their formative years. Sad to think it's now some designer boutique isn't it :rolleyes:

Thanks! Yes, we actually liked the band during their formative years. From what I last read, the entire Bowery is becoming gentrified. I remember coming out of CBs and picking my way around the guys sleeping on the street and passing by the seedy SROs in order to get to the after hours clubs.

I saw them in Orlando at the Great Southern Music Hall in 1978 and I never bacame a fan either.

I saw them in Orlando at the Great Southern Music Hall in 1978 and I never bacame a fan either.

I don't know what it is about The Police but they just never gripped or captivated us the way other bands did. I was just always sort of "meh" about them - I never felt "sparks".

I don't know what it is about The Police but they just never gripped or captivated us the way other bands did. I was just always sort of "meh" about them - I never felt "sparks".

Me niether My favorite song that Sting does is the intro to Dire Straits - Money for Nothing

I like Eddie Murphys version of roxxanne better than thiers remmeber his from the movie 48 hours with Nick Nolte.

Me niether My favorite song that Sting does is the intro to Dire Straits - Money for Nothing

I like Eddie Murphys version of roxxanne better than thiers remmeber his from the movie 48 hours with Nick Nolte.

I don't even think I have a favorite Police song. :( Eddie Murphy's version of Roxanne was great - I loved 48 Hours. :)

I like the Police a lot, particularly Regatta de Blanc. Great album. Sadly I never saw them in concert.

MSG - the Bowery is a shadow of its former self. Alas...

I hate to hear that. :( I miss the character that all of those neighborhoods had before they were gentrified and made homogeneous.

• 4 weeks later...

The Police Pick Madison Square Garden For Final Gig

police_the_04l.gif

The Police

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

The Police's last-ever show will be held Aug. 7 at New York's Madison Square Garden, with proceeds to benefit New York public television stations Thirteen/WNET and WLIW21. Tickets will only be available via donations to the station, starting June 14.

To read the remainder of the article click here.

• 2 months later...
Well it is nice to see that they finaly finished the "we hate each other but wanted to see how much money we can stuff into our bank accounts tour". B)

Well, that's most of the history of The Eagles and Deep Purple, isn't it? Doesn't mean you can't still enjoy the music.

Well, that's most of the history of The Eagles and Deep Purple, isn't it? Doesn't mean you can't still enjoy the music.

The Eagles have to be the worst at this...I may be harsh on the Police, some of their early material was good but for the most part I feel they are over rated...just my opinion. :D

IMO The Police ARE overrated! :D

They only had ONE good song and that was Invisible Sun. B)

Sting is a musical and sexual genius, just ask him! :blink:

Put the two together and you've got fucked songs! :o

I see he is doing another solo tour, again.

Somebody make the bad man go away!!!! :rolleyes:

IMO The Police ARE overrated! :D

They only had ONE good song and that was Invisible Sun. B)

Sting is a musical and sexual genius, just ask him! :blink:

Put the two together and you've got fucked songs! :o

I see he is doing another solo tour, again.

Somebody make the bad man go away!!!! :rolleyes:

Reg, i'm with you! Sting is a pompous ass, imo. Or as Stewart Copeland said, a "petulant pansy".

Archived