Unheard Led Zeppelin Song!

Hang-man

Hang-man has been doing some "Digging" to findout about this "Unheard Track", & in a report that ive found dated the 20/05/72, this is what ive unearthed......

In the studios with Zeppelin, reporter Ritchie Yorke is invited to attend the recording sessions for "Houses of the Holy" @ the Olympic Studios in London. While Yorke is at the Studio, SLADE are recording an album in the next room. He describes the relatively innocuous atmosphere. He mentions that "Page" has shaved off the beard & has also cut off most of his hair..... Page,,,,,

" Robert's just had a baby. He's up in the wilds of Worcestershire, now with his old lady. We'er coming over to North America later in the summer. Probably in July. We won't be playing Toronto this time, but we are doing Montreal & Vancouver. We just got back from a tour of Australia & Japan. It was incredible. Hugh crowds, & they really seemed to enjoy the shows. We really enjoyed the Tour. We hope to have the album ready for release just before the tour."

Yorke then mentions that he gets a brief preview of "Dancing Days" & another "UNFINISHED" track called "Slush" which many suspect turned out to be The Song Remains The Same"..........But did it, & further more, has it ever been played Live?????

Yes,Slush is Rain Song. However, there are 2 previously unheard tracks recorded during the fourth album;

St. Tristan's Sword and Lost in Space

Slush is The Rain Song

Now, I have yet to hear those two unreleased songs from IV that you mentioned. Do you have any information on how we could get them?

Yes,Slush is Rain Song. However, there are 2 previously unheard tracks recorded during the fourth album;

St. Tristan's Sword and Lost in Space

Ok...do tell. what boot has St Tristan's Sword and Lost In Space....I've never heard of these before.

^^^Contact Jimmy Page to hear those two. Neither, according to Lewis/Pallett, have seen the light of day yet.

I do not know if that is exactly the names of the song but there are two unnamed songs on the PG outtakes...well actually one is called "Take Me Home"....AWESOME...the other one is a Jazzy sounding thing....and there's also "In The Morning" which is an early version of "In The Light"....great stuff

I do not know if that is exactly the names of the song but there are two unnamed songs on the PG outtakes...well actually one is called "Take Me Home"....AWESOME...the other one is a Jazzy sounding thing....and there's also "In The Morning" which is an early version of "In The Light"....great stuff

Take Me Home is good, but I'm pretty sure it became a song that was eventually released. I can't recall which one though, and I don't have my copy on me at the moment so I'll have to get back to you on what it was.

Take Me Home is good, but I'm pretty sure it became a song that was eventually released. I can't recall which one though, and I don't have my copy on me at the moment so I'll have to get back to you on what it was.

Not sure about that but let me know...BTW, it's time to change your avatar...everytime I see SS, I need to take care of some business :rolleyes:

I have read multiple reports that "Slush" became "Rain Song". But that always seemed a bit fishy to me because I don't think that Zep would have given the song a title if they planned on adding lyrics to it. And "Rain Song" just sounds like a song that was written with lyrics in mind.

Meanwhile, it's well known that TSRTS had a couple of working titles -- "The Campaign" and "Overture" -- both of which sound like appropriate titles for an instrumental. And TSRTS definitely sounds like a song that was written to be an instrumental.

Also, Dave Lewis' "A Celebration" indicates that "Slush" was an original tune. So, I guess this is just a rambling way of saying "I don't know the answer"!

And "Rain Song" just sounds like a song that was written with lyrics in mind.

Robert usually wrote lyrics after at least part of a song had been written, so it seems very logical that the song's title would change from slush to the rain song once Robert had added lyrics.

Meanwhile, it's well known that TSRTS had a couple of working titles -- "The Campaign" and "Overture" -- both of which sound like appropriate titles for an instrumental. And TSRTS definitely sounds like a song that was written to be an instrumental.

I always thought that was very appropriate, as the song reminds me of Pete Townshend's guitar style (and overture is part of his rock opera Tommy).

Robert usually wrote lyrics after at least part of a song had been written, so it seems very logical that the song's title would change from slush to the rain song once Robert had added lyrics.

Maybe, but it seems unusual for a band to formally name an unfinished instrumental. Also, if the song had been an unfinished instrumental, wouldn't Ritchie Yorke have mentioned that instead of describing it as an "unreleased song"?

....Meanwhile, it's well known that TSRTS had a couple of working titles -- "The Campaign" and "Overture" -- both of which sound like appropriate titles for an instrumental. And TSRTS definitely sounds like a song that was written to be an instrumental...

From what I understand, that's exactly what was supposed to happen, Page intended it to be an instrumental, but then Plant came up with lyrics for "Overture," so it became "The Campaign" and then eventually "The Song Remains The Same." I seem to recall reading that Plant introduced the song early on in concerts as "The Campaign" also.

Maybe, but it seems unusual for a band to formally name an unfinished instrumental.

I don't think that's true, all bands give their songs working names until they figure out what they want to call it permanently.

Also, if the song had been an unfinished instrumental, wouldn't Ritchie Yorke have mentioned that instead of describing it as an "unreleased song"?

That could just be an oversight or typo.

Archived