Neil Young to release archive on Blu-ray

Neil Young to release archive on Blu-ray

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

neilyoung256.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO - Iconic Canadian rocker Neil Young plans to release his entire music archive on Blu-ray discs, a sign that the discs' capabilities are building appeal among musicians as well as movie studios.

Blu-ray discs hold much more data than DVDs, are easily updated over the Internet and offer better picture and sound quality.

Young revealed his plans Tuesday at a Sun Microsystems Inc. conference in San Francisco. Santa Clara-based Sun makes the Java technology that gives Blu-ray discs their interactive menus and ability to accept updates over an Internet connection.

The first instalment of Young's archive will cover the years 1963 to 1972 and will be released as a 10-disc set this fall on Reprise/Warner Bros. Records.

Young said the archives will be released chronologically and include some previously unreleased songs, videos, handwritten manuscripts and other memorabilia, in addition to the high-resolution audio that Blu-ray technology is known for.

Fans can download more content like songs, photos and tour information directly to the Blu-ray discs as the content becomes available.

Blu-ray's rival format HD DVD effectively died with maker Toshiba Corp.'s announcement in February that it will no longer produce HD DVD players.

Most of the Blu-ray discs manufactured so far have been used for high-definition movies.

Musical artists such as AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen and Destiny's Child released concert videos on Blu-ray discs, but Young's support of the technology for his ambitious archive project demonstrates more fully the capabilities of Blu-ray as a music medium.

Earlier technology didn't offer the ability to browse archive material while listening to songs in high-resolution audio, Young noted.

"Previous technology required unacceptable quality compromises," he said in a statement. "I am glad we waited and got it right."

Holy funk! I can understand why, about the sound quality and all... but, man, I don't have a Blue-Ray dvd player and I've been waiting for this Boxset for years. I'm kinda disappointed... but still, I'm buying it for sure.

I'm still loving ya, Neil!

I'm from Missouri on this one. This is becoming Neil's version of Chinese Democracy. I wonder what you charge for a 10 disc set of 30-40 year old outtakes ? Doesn't matter I guess.....I'll pay the price.

Archived