Honest thoughts on P/P Walking into Clarksdale...

I listened to this today probably for the first time since it came out in 1998. To be honest, I really was disappointed. This sounds more like a Plant album (Page doesn't really stand out at all). Page hardly has any solos. Not what you would expect from the true gods of rock. I guess they were trying to prove they could write an album that didn't sound like Zeppelin at all. I don't necessarily think thats what they should have done but I think it should been a little harder (at least for a few songs) The way I look at it is how would Jimmy and Robert of the 70's look at this album. I don't think they would dig it. Thoughts?

P.S. The tour kicked ass though. I thought it was better then their first one.

I really love this album and I like what Jimmy contributed to it even if it's more subtle than other things he's done. Many of the songs are incredibly moving because they are more subtle (Blue Train first and foremost, but also When the World Was Young, When I Was a Child, Heart in Your Hand). I come back to it quite a bit, especially when I want a more pensive P&P sound.

Steve Albini ruined this album; the final mix sounds horrible to my ears and always has.

There was numerous breaks in the recording sessions (it took about 16 months start to

finish) which didn't help either. The working title was Most High, but the album cover graphics were not changed to reflect the release title Walking Into Clarksdale, which

says it all really. There are a few good tracks on it but overall it's a disappointment.

I've always thought that the album was Plant Driven & JP went along to stop him deserting the duo - which obviously didn't work. I don't think I've played it enought to even form a proper opinion. However, PRTL works much better with AK.

Five years earlier Page released the Coverdale/Page album. Whatever one may think of Coverdale, Jimmy wrote a lot of powerful, riff driven "Pagey" music. Therefore I was disappointed to hear that WIC didn't sound the least bit "Pagey" for the most part. I too thought that it sounded more like a Plant album. And Steve makes a good point about the mix. They had a powerhouse drummer in Michael Lee and it sounded like they went out of their way to not make him sound big and "Bonham-like."

Having said that, I did like a lot of the songs and thought the record was interesting. Blue Train is fantastic, Shining in the Light is another favorite, and When the World Was Young was good on the album and great live. Jimmy added some solos live and kicked the song into another gear, check out the Amnesty concert in Paris to see what I'm talking about...

I think honesty is part of the problem, specifically Steve Albini's commitment to honesty in the studio. Robert Plant is on record saying he was emotionally attached to vocal effects such as echo and reverb. Albini's instincts are to keep it "real", go with close to live takes and limit the effects and processing. That was fine for bands in their prime such as Albini's own Big Black as heard on "Earth Atomizer, Let's go" or the Pixies "Surfer Rosa". I myself wish this task had been given to Rick Rubin (is he a stoner?). Rick just makes things sound big. Even Johnny Cash.

On the album I think the vocals are the major failing. I have a really neat soundboard from the Mansfield 1998 P/P show. If they performed WIC at that level, in which the new and old songs sound like near equals, and the vocals worked out to maximize power, it would have sold well (IMHO). AND.. there were some alternate songs that maybe should have been included and developed some more. Have any of you heard "Rude World" of the Rainer Patek tribute album?

That was a whole different direction they could have pursued, but didn't. And that alternate take of "Black Dog" on the unledded dvd.. The only reason that's black dog is the lyrics. Minor alteration could have made that a new song, and it is only Robert Plants' lack of vision (in that moment) that made it retro.

I think honesty is part of the problem, specifically Steve Albini's commitment to honesty in the studio. Robert Plant is on record saying he was emotionally attached to vocal effects such as echo and reverb. Albini's instincts are to keep it "real", go with close to live takes and limit the effects and processing. That was fine for bands in their prime such as Albini's own Big Black as heard on "Earth Atomizer, Let's go" or the Pixies "Surfer Rosa". I myself wish this task had been given to Rick Rubin (is he a stoner?). Rick just makes things sound big. Even Johnny Cash.

On the album I think the vocals are the major failing. I have a really neat soundboard from the Mansfield 1998 P/P show. If they performed WIC at that level, in which the new and old songs sound like near equals, and the vocals worked out to maximize power, it would have sold well (IMHO). AND.. there were some alternate songs that maybe should have been included and developed some more. Have any of you heard "Rude World" of the Rainer Patek tribute album?

That was a whole different direction they could have pursued, but didn't. And that alternate take of "Black Dog" on the unledded dvd.. The only reason that's black dog is the lyrics. Minor alteration could have made that a new song, and it is only Robert Plants' lack of vision (in that moment) that made it retro.

Agreed, Plants vocals made this album virtually unlistenable (to me) and is the reason I never/ever listen to it, it really is cringeworthy.

Some of the blame can go to Albini, but thats who RP wanted to engineer the recording, you got it buddy.

I guess Plant didn't realize what Albini did to Nirvana's 'In Utero' record,

what piece of crap.

Nirvana was crazy not to go with Butch Vig after the phenomenal success of their debut record. I really think Vig would have done Page & Plant justice in the studio,

as well as Rick Rubin.

Running Away from Clarksdale

Albini ruined it, plain and simple. It was a paycheck to him, he hit the record button, and Plant bought into Albini's cooler than thou indie cred, which, i feel, is total bullshit. I have a feeling Page was going totally nuts over Albini's lack of technique and vision, as i was told he was drinking heavily during this time as well as on tour.

It's really not a bad cd, just recorded shitty. The title track is one of my favorite Page compositions.

Albini's production made the record sound "stiff". The recording didn't "breathe" like a Page/Plant recording should. I mentioned it here before somewhere, he also produced the Stooges' 2007 album, with the same results. <_<

But the music on WIC is another matter. Beautifully crafted songs, performed well. It's a great album. I prefer it over ITTOD by quite a bit in fact.

Albini's production made the record sound "stiff". The recording didn't "breathe" like a Page/Plant recording should. I mentioned it here before somewhere, he also produced the Stooges' 2007 album, with the same results. <_<

But the music on WIC is another matter. Beautifully crafted songs, performed well. It's a great album. I prefer it over ITTOD by quite a bit in fact.

You're the 2nd person I've heard say the Stooges album is whack. That's 2 bad, they sound great on Youtube. i can't believe I missed that (kicks self).

:bagoverhead:

You can say what you want about the production, but Robert plant did not bring his A-game either. Some parts are sung so out of tune and warbly it was hard to conclude that he should have long hung up the cleats. Then he did a lot better on the subsequent tour, so I know he was capable of more.

Yeah the sound guy had too much compression and fucked around with the EQ too much IMHO. Yes like it was said before, it just sounded stiff. I like it, but it just seemed like it was a cover band who recorded the song, not a typical page sound.

The song, when the world was young, is the best sounding song, but it may not be the best song.

Robert wanted Albini , from what I understand, to bring in a more "modern" sound with someone who was able to record with old techniques ie use mic placement and such. The idea was a good one, most engineers of late use triggers and amp farm but that's another debate for another day perhaps. I feel they short changed the material going for the initial spark instead of really working it. I mean really who can produce Page better than Page and for that matter who can produce Plant better than Page now that he's...found himself again. If only they would find the middle ground and trust each other again something special would erupt out of the ethers. I'm sure they have at least one more GREAT record to make, so keep tracking gents, and try to get it done before the end of the year for fuchs sake!!!!! I think PBJ would be a great name as well. :P

You can say what you want about the production, but Robert plant did not bring his A-game either.

His mother passed away during the initial recording sessions so this is understandable.

He was also battling the onset of writer's block which ultimately lasted eight years.

His mother passed away during the initial recording sessions so this is understandable.

He was also battling the onset of writer's block which ultimately lasted eight years.

He apparently has it again since Raising Sand is all covers.

He apparently has it again since Raising Sand is all covers.

Seems to me it was always going to be a covers album, god knows what the doubters would say if he were writing bluegrass songs. :blink:

Does that mean he has a writers block then??

Raising Sand is really a trio record because other than the vocals it's T-Bone Burnett's vision. He provide a lot of the songs and all of how it sounds. Plant and Krauss were never supposed to be writing for it so doesn't suggest writer's block for either of them.

Raising Sand is really a trio record because other than the vocals it's T-Bone Burnett's vision. He provide a lot of the songs and all of how it sounds. Plant and Krauss were never supposed to be writing for it so doesn't suggest writer's block for either of them.

Dreamland was all covers too. So Mighty Rearranger is really the only album of all new material he's released in the decade since WiC. Still one better than Jimmy Page, of course ;)

The songs P/P performed from WIC on their 1998 tour were the weakest of the setlist, in my opinion. Just as to me, the newer songs on 1994's No Quarter.

I will be very curious to hear what new music might come out of these most recent studio sessions. I wonder if it will recapture the old spark.

Does anyone know if Walking Into Clarksdale is out on any form? I can't find it anywhere. My dad and I have looked for awhile and can't find it. I have No Quater but I can't seem to find this one.

Does anyone know if Walking Into Clarksdale is out on any form? I can't find it anywhere. My dad and I have looked for awhile and can't find it. I have No Quater but I can't seem to find this one.

I saw it recently at a record store. Also you could always get it on line at CD Universe.

It's a must have for any Zep fan. :)

Exactly.

Dreamland was all covers too.

Actually, it contains four originals with the whole band credited for them:

'Funny In My Mind (Believe I'm Fixin' to Die)'

'Win My Train Fare Home (If I Ever Get Lucky)'

'Last Time I Saw Her'

'Red Dress'

Archived