10 Worst Ways To Behave At Concerts

Jahfin

Ask the indie professor: Why do people talk at gigs?

Last week, the Guardian's Film & Music editor had a gig ruined for him by people rabbiting on. But why do some concertgoers insist on chatting through a performance? Our prof has a theory ...

Alexander-Chancellor-ming-007.jpg

Guardian writer Alexander Chancellor mingles with the crowd at an Estelle gig ... Five minutes later, he was crowd surfing.

Photograph: Linda Nylind for the Guardian

From Valerio Berdini

Audiences go to gigs not just to listen to music. In my studies of audience behaviour, I found patterns of who talks, where they talk and why. The space occupied by audiences at gigs can be organised into three zones based on distinct types of activities found in each. Zone one, closest to the stage, is the most complicated in terms of physical engagement and has the youngest audience members. The second zone begins about a quarter of the way back into the venue. Interpersonal distances are greater and the audience older. Zone three, at the back of the venue, features the most varied activities and is where the music industry professionals stand – as well as those who don't like the show.

To read the article click here.

Speaking of bad behaviour at concerts, I think this article fits here. Personally, I admire Dave Grohl even more after reading this article! I do love the way the man took control of the situation! Apparently, even rock legends like Jimmy Page seemed to appreciate Grohl's actions! B)

Dave Grohl kicks fan out for fighting

July 14, 2011, 6:47 am AAP

About two thousand Foo Fighters fans looked on and cheered at a London concert as frontman Dave Grohl kicked a punter out for fighting.

The gig at the Roundhouse in Camden was part of the iTunes Festival, and saw the Foos joined on stage by Roger Taylor and Brian May from Queen for a version of Queen's Tie Your Mother Down and by Lemmy from Motorhead for a rendition of the Probot track Shake Your Blood, websites including NME.com have reported.

Grohl apparently stopped the show when he saw a fight break out in the crowd, with video posted online of an expletive-filled rant at the audience member involved in the scuffle.

"You don't f***ing fight at my show, you asshole," Grohl yelled.

"Who's that right there, let me see him, who's fighting right now? It's that f***ing guy in the striped shirt right there. Look at you. Hey motherf***er, look at me, look at me. Get the f*** out of my show right now!"

The singer continued to remonstrate with the man as he made his way out of the venue.

"You don't come to my show and fight. You come to my show and f***ing dance, you asshole. Get the f*** outta here. I don't put up with that bulls**t. You people came here to have a good time and that guy can f*** off."

The concert crowd, including rock legends Metallica, Seasick Steve and Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page, responded with rapturous applause at Grohl's actions, which he seemed to appreciate.

"Whatever, that guy was an asshole. He's outta here."

I began seeing this trend in the early 70's when the punks began to attend concerts in SF. It hasn't really abated since.

Worst crowd I ever saw was at a ZZ Top concert and again, it was the young punks.

'You just want to smash their face with a 2x4'---Beavis

B)

"Whatever, that guy was an asshole. He's outta here."

At classical guitar concerts even a cough or sneeze might get you the boot. The player wants absolute quiet.

Right on, Dave.

B)

In 2007, my friends and I went to see Van Halen at Target Center and this lady and her sister were so trashed. They screamed at the guy they were with; he was the boyfriend of one of them. They were so trashed they couldn't walk up or down the steep stairs of the arena. They refused help from the security guards. I felt so bad for my two friends that had to sit behind them. Fortunately, they both past out during the third song.

• 1 year later...

I don't agree with all of these but there are a few I agree with 100%.

551109_10151052960849828_433139708_n.jpg

Remember the days when you could go to a concert and you wouldn't see 1,000+ phones up in the air recording the show. Oh, the good old days.

Archived