Oh my god, I hate Emos.

Bonham

But are you actually friends with any of them? I am. Just take it for what it is, a teenage infatuation.

I'm friends with a select few, but I hate most of their emo friends. They bug the shit out of me.

Avril Lavigne is not a good musician, wrist-cutting doesn't release bad energy, you're life is not shit (the kids in Ethiopia with one bag of beans a week have it bad, not you), quit your bitching and stop being emo

That wasn't directed at you, merely emo in general

I heard the GooGoo Dolls on the radio today, and thought of Johnny Rzeznik's hair, which naturally made me think of this thread, which made me wonder if they are emo too? :blink:

Ed. to add photo:

9363344-9363347-slarge.jpg

I heard the GooGoo Dolls on the radio today, and thought of Johnny Rzeznik's hair, which naturally made me think of this thread, which made me wonder if they are emo too? :blink:

Ed. to add photo:

9363344-9363347-slarge.jpg

No. The Goo Goo Dolls are big fans of the Replacements, most of whom had a similar hairstyle (see below). The Replacements definitely weren't "emo".

1.jpg

Goes to show you can't judge a book by it's cover. The Faces and Stones also had/have the spikey hair (which probably inspired the Replacements), they're not "emo" either. Ryan Adams is another one inspired by the Replacements' hairstyle.

061201-ryan.jpg

Avril Lavigne is not a good musician, wrist-cutting doesn't release bad energy, you're life is not shit (the kids in Ethiopia with one bag of beans a week have it bad, not you), quit your bitching and stop being emo

Avril Lavigne??? She isn't Emo. She isn't anything remotely near Emo. She's just a pop tart.

If you think Avril is Emo, then I'm not so sure you know what Emo is...

Avril Lavigne??? She isn't Emo. She isn't anything remotely near Emo. She's just a pop tart.

If you think Avril is Emo, then I'm not so sure you know what Emo is...

Musically, you're right. In style, however, she has tried to do the trend-Emo thing, although she isn't doing so good.

Avril, however, has two things going for her:

1. She's hot (sorry, but she is... at least... I wouldn't kick her out of bed... :D)

2. She's a Led Zeppelin fan (and no, I'm not saying that because she was pictured wearing a Led Zeppelin shirt, but because I've met her, and we talked about Led Zeppelin because I was wearing my "Squeeze my Lemon" shirt... she has all of their official releases... all of them... including both DVDs and CDs of TSRTS and Mothership... so at least she has some good taste in music)

Musically, you're right. In style, however, she has tried to do the trend-Emo thing, although she isn't doing so good.

Avril, however, has two things going for her:

1. She's hot (sorry, but she is... at least... I wouldn't kick her out of bed... :D)

2. She's a Led Zeppelin fan (and no, I'm not saying that because she was pictured wearing a Led Zeppelin shirt, but because I've met her, and we talked about Led Zeppelin because I was wearing my "Squeeze my Lemon" shirt... she has all of their official releases... all of them... including both DVDs and CDs of TSRTS and Mothership... so at least she has some good taste in music)

I think she's cute too. Plus she has a good style. Many artists and bands just copy other styles.

As far as Emo goes I've no idea who or what the fuck it is. But then I usually ignore things that bore me.

I think she's cute too. Plus she has a good style. Many artists and bands just copy other styles.

Very true.

As far as Emo goes I've no idea who or what the fuck it is. But then I usually ignore things that bore me.

Trend-Emo or that actual depressive condition unofficially known as Emo? Because there is a mental condition, almost always brought on by severe depression, that has become known as "Emo." That I have seen, first-hand, and is nothing to joke about. That's why the whole trend-Emo thing pisses me off so much.

1257027982.jpg

It might sounds silly, but IS THAT A BOY OR A GIRL??

If its a girl, she looks terrible and need a good ick in the ass.

BUT, if its a boy... :blink: He fucking needs to be locked-away in Cell Block 5. :o

That is just an awful, awful look. What are they fucking thinking?

*Where's that vomiting smiley?*

If I were one of his parent... ooh boy! I don't know what I would do... Probably just take him for a ride and leave him in a Square full of old Punks... just to scare the shit out of him. Yeah! That or I would simply give him to the Salvation Army.

BUT, if its a boy... :blink: He fucking needs to be locked-away in Cell Block 5. :o

If I were one of his parent... ooh boy! I don't know what I would do... Probably just take him for a ride and leave him in a Square full of old Punks... just to scare the shit out of him. Yeah! That or I would simply give him to the Salvation Army.

It's funny seeing the criticism of the "emos" when some of the very same things were said about "hippies" back in the day (I'm referring to the "is that a boy or a girl?" comment).

Again, "emo" began as part of the punk movement in the DC area back in the 80s with bands like Fugazi but got misappropriated along the way and now applies to Bright Eyes, Dashboard Confessional, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy and the like.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.

But I wouldn't have ask the same question if it was a hippy on that picture. Why? Because I would have recognize the gender of the person. (most hippies were bearded-guy, right?)

But now, I am really not sure of what I've seen! It's not about the long hair (which are awful) but the picture as a whole. Lollipops, fucking cutex, the butterflies and the PINK SUIT! :wtf:

No wonder some are getting beating in the schoolyard. I, even if I'm a non-violence addept, would have beat the shit out of him.

I just don't know what to think about all that shit...

Back up a lot further than EMO to begin answering those questions.

Boy George anyone? Hair glam metal?

Nothing new here.

People once asked that question about Robert Plant. All that long hair and those girl's blouses got them confused, but they soon discovered he was a guy.

Emo (pronounced /ˈiːmoʊ/) is a style of rock music which describes several independent variations of music with common stylistic roots. As such, use of the term has been the subject of much debate. In the mid-1980s, the term emo described a subgenre of hardcore punk which originated in the Washington, D.C. music scene. In later years, the term emocore, short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the emotional performances of bands in the Washington, D.C. scene and some of the offshoot regional scenes such as Rites of Spring, Embrace, One Last Wish, Beefeater, Gray Matter, Fire Party, and later, Moss Icon. (In more recent years, the term "emotive hardcore" entered the lexicon to describe the period.)

Starting in the mid-1990s, the term emo began to refer to the indie scene that followed the influences of Fugazi, which itself was an offshoot of the first wave of emo. Bands including Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas Is the Reason had a more indie rock style of emo, more melodic and less chaotic. The so-called "indie emo" scene survived until the late 1990s, as many of the bands either disbanded or shifted to mainstream styles. As the remaining indie emo bands entered the mainstream, newer bands began to emulate the mainstream style. As a result, the term "emo" became a vaguely defined identifier rather than a specific genre of music.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo

whoa whoa whoa! leave jimmy hendrix , led zeppelin, and whoever else out of this!

when comparing different fads and trends with emos you should ask yourself this question

"which would i rather live with?" i think emos are going to be the last on your list.

they are are the most worthless, the most needy, the most over dramatic, the most self centered of any of the subcultures past or present. for this group it's not a trend

the fashion is a giant dunce cap to signal us all not to feed these trolls. it's for real. these people are just as they appear fucked uped and useless. parasites.

i'm not trying to be judgemental, or come down hard on a group of people just for the sake of being a bully or being mean. i've lived with people like this. minus the fashion statement. it's not pretty.

whoa whoa whoa! leave jimmy hendrix , led zeppelin, and whoever else out of this!

when comparing different fads and trends with emos you should ask yourself this question

"which would i rather live with?" i think emos are going to be the last on your list.

they are are the most worthless, the most needy, the most over dramatic, the most self centered of any of the subcultures past or present. for this group it's not a trend

the fashion is a giant dunce cap to signal us all not to feed these trolls. it's for real. these people are just as they appear fucked uped and useless.

i'm not trying to be judgemental, or come down hard on a group of people just for the sake

of being a bully or being mean. i've lived with people like this. minus the fashion statement. it's not pretty.

That's the same thing we used to hear about rock and roll bands.

As certain fashion trends and attitudes began to be associated with "emo", stereotypes emerged that created a specific target for criticism. In the early 2000s, the criticism was relatively light-hearted and self-effacing. In ensuing years, the derision increased dramatically. Male fans of emo are often presumed by others to be homosexual, this is largely a reflection of the style of dress popular within the "emo scene" and the purported displays of emotion common in the scene. Complaints pointed to the histrionic manner in which the emotions were expressed.

wiki.org

Avril has never gone for the Emo thing...

She is solidly skater punk pop... that's all she's ever been

I mean she said she was the Sid Vicious of her generation for fuck's sake... :blink: Where the fuck she got that idea from...

1257027982.jpg

It's a girl, silly....

And it's a fantastic look...

Maybe you're just getting a bit too old and out of touch ;)

That's the same thing we used to hear about rock and roll bands.

hmmm i don't know. maybe the things people said regarding disco would loosely apply? as far as the arguments regarding forms of hard rock. weren't people concerned for the well being of their kids. weren't they viewed as rebellious and a threat to laws and church? as opposed to wishing they'd die in a fire or end up in an asylum?

this is even worse than disco if that's possible. at least disco had cocaine and sex.

that's wrong . but that's the point. what is emo contributing to? is it rebellious? no

is it a threat to anything ? no. it's just a sad genre for sad people with sad music

to celebrate it all to.

hmmm i don't know. maybe the things people said regarding disco would loosely apply? as far as the aurguments regarding forms of hard rock. weren't people concerned for the wellbeing of their kids and viewed them as rebellious and a threat to laws and church? as opposed to wishing they'd die in a fire or end up in an asylum?

It's just a very simple thing:

Some people, a lot of people, have a need to like tough things, or to be associated with tough things because they want to look tough

And anything that's not tough, they like to destroy, based on the principle that anythingt hat is weak should be destroyed.

So Emo comes in for derision because it's not 'tough'. Emo was based on feelings and emotions, hence the word Emo, but in our society feelings and emotions are weaknesses, so therefore, it's got to go...

that's not were i'm coming from. i don't claim to know it all or anything. to me

it seems like it's emotion reduced to it's most shallow form. it happens in a place in front

of a mirror or in front an audience or in front of friends and it happens inside them and it's only about things regarding them. in it's complete lack of higher emotion such as empathy and real compassion and it's tendencies to gravitate towards apathy.. it is a threat in that regard.

Once again, I'm not at all familiar with any of this - but from what you're all describing I'd say ZERO has just nailed it. Assumably, these kids will mature, or really be in trouble. They must be quite the burden to their families, though...

that's not were i'm coming from. i don't claim to know it all or anything. to me

it seems like it's emotion reduced to it's most shallow form. it happens in a place in front

of a mirror or in front an audience or in front of friends and it happens inside them and it's only about things regarding them. in it's complete lack of higher emotion such as empathy and real compassion and it's tendencies to gravitate towards apathy.. it is a threat in that regard.

oh fucking hell, we're talking about teenagers....

Good God...

Teenagers are obsessed with image and appearance and style because they're learning how to visually identify themselves to other people, it's a natural process

And also, what seems fake to us or even laughable to older people, feels real to a teenager, because they are still learning and experiencing things for the first time.

There's three main reasons to why people don't like emos:

1) Because they just don't get it, or maybe too old and out of touch

2) They feel emos are being self-indulgent

3) Because they feel emo guys, especially, are not masculine enough, and to some people, being male and not masculine is a very bad crime, usually because they're trapped in old-fashioned ideals that a man who is not strong and masculine is weak....

For your information, I am not Emo, mostly because I don't care for the music and at 28 years of age, I feel a little bit too old to be an emo...

But i say good-on-them because they have the courage and guts to be emo and express themselves in a way that most people love to pour derision and scorn on, but they do it in a nice fuck-you to everybody else, and its so easy for people to pour scorn, but they're the ones out there and doing it and living it, while you lot sit around and bitch about it, clinging on to your faded memories of when you were young and had a life and weren't so judgemental

Archived