Vintage Photographs

Jahfin

I especially like this one, a reminder of a time when people would hang out at the local country store. And to think, there's probably an entire generation out there that will never know of such times (at least through personal experience). One of my favorite places (even though I didn't know it at the time) was a store on the coast of NC where we would hang out with my Dad in the wee hours of the mornin' shooting the shit with the old fisherman before we boarded the boat to head out deep sea fishin' for the day.

chapel.jpg

Fourth of July 1939 near Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Rural filling stations become community centers and general loafing grounds. Cedargrove Team members about to play in a baseball game.

More photos here.

I love vintage photographs!

One of my favorite places for old photos is the Cornell University site for the Triangle Factory Fire:

http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/trianglefire/photos/default.html

Around ten years ago, my husband and I were at a "tag sale" and he picked an old photo out of a box. Before I could look at it, my husband had purchased it. As we were walking out, he showed me that it was an original photo in a cardboard frame of Lincoln's funeral train as it passed through Ohio. His parents are keeping it at their home now.

There is a picture that I have in a book, and it's one of the best pictures I've ever seen. But...I need to find it in the book, then see if I can find the picture on here, because the picture is two pages and I can't scan it. So I'll see what I can do.

I especially like this one, a reminder of a time when people would hang out at the local country store. And to think, there's probably an entire generation out there that will never know of such times (at least through personal experience).

Depends on the culture and the location. Go to Vietnam and you'll see three generations manning the store along with alll their neighbors. Go to Spanish Harlem and you'll see generations manning the store. Maybe in NC it's turned into Starbucksville, but not in other parts of the world.

Depends on the culture and the location. Go to Vietnam and you'll see three generations manning the store along with alll their neighbors. Go to Spanish Harlem and you'll see generations manning the store. Maybe in NC it's turned into Starbucksville, but not in other parts of the world.

Well, I live in a small NC town and we have a few hardware stores and grocery stores downtown that are run by local business owners who've been running the businesses with their families forever, it seems. They pretty much run the town...and keep walmart out! Oh, and the closest Starbucks is 20 miles away :D !

By the way, great thread Jahfin!

Notice, I said "probably". I'm sure there's still pockets around the globe where this is still a huge part of culture but on the whole I imagine (notice I said imagine) it's considered a past way of life.

It's true that in many parts of the country this is very hard to find, although portions do remain. So many places are devoid of civic participation, the ability to treat each other civilly and come from behind technology, and a system in which they can facilitate such humanity as is seen in some of these photos. I enjoy looking at historical images; an outfit called Arcadia Publishing is very into this.

On a lighter note, yes, good, real boobs are often in short supply. Then again, so are women with healthy eating habits and weights.

Notice, I said "probably". I'm sure there's still pockets around the globe where this is still a huge part of culture but on the whole I imagine (notice I said imagine) it's considered a past way of life.

Are you calling Vietnam a pocket? How about China? Is that a pocket? I just spent the weekend in NYC and took a fascinating tour of the Lower East Side. Did you know that Chinatown in NYC is actually getting larger? It's forbidden for Chinese children to move away from the family. Now there are four generations of families living in Chinatown NYC. Little Italy on the other hand is getting smaller.

Are you calling Vietnam a pocket? How about China? Is that a pocket? I just spent the weekend in NYC and took a fascinating tour of the Lower East Side. Did you know that Chinatown in NYC is actually getting larger? It's forbidden for Chinese children to move away from the family. Now there are four generations of families living in Chinatown NYC. Little Italy on the other hand is getting smaller.

Sounds like you need to turn off the computer, slowly back away from it and go outside to get a breath of fresh air.

Surrendered German soldiers marching towards the allied rear as American columns move forward deeper into Germany.

I love the line from Band of Brothers where they recreated this scene, and an American officer yells at the beaten German soldiers and says, "What did you think was going to happen you servient bastards? Meet Ford and General Motors!"

German_prisoners_on_Autobahn_20_122.jpg

Archived