Moby Dick's best year

JimmyPageZoSo56

Moby Dick's best year  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Moby Dick's best year

For me it would have to be 70. He did not do it in Vancouver in 71 and I did not get to see the 72 show in Seattle. By 73 , it was beginning to get a little old. At the time, most bands had begun to drop drum solos off they're set list. Don't get me wrong, it was still great but, just not as exciting

We dont have too much clarity from whats available to decipher. Having read 'the bible' there were many extraordinary 'nights'... but years, I guess have to go between 70-73...when it was fresh. The dvd gives us a blinding rendition at TRAH, so i've gone for '70. Anyway strictly speaking these are for the most part the 'moby dick' years....prior and post were 'pat's delight and 'over the top'!

I picked '72 because, on one of the nights that I saw the band live in '72, not only was Bonzo's playing incredibly powerful - almost beyond description, the song lasted (as I recall) at least 20 minutes.

cool

plus Bonzo's snare sounded amazing!

• 5 months later...

i voted 70.. my favorite Moby Dick performance is the one from the Royal Albert Hall 1970 i think John was amazing on that show..i remember the first time i saw this performance of MD my reaction was :o i just could't believe what i saw... John Bonham was and still is the greatest drummer of all times

• 4 weeks later...

73. He had his themes down by then and his incorporation of the timpani's were at its peak. Most solos were shorter (avg. 10 min), fluid and tended not to drag at any point. Bonzo was a great soloist, when he was in the groove. Some moments, he does get lost..but we all do.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

1973 for me. I wasn't alive for any of these years, but from all the footage I have seen, I have enjoyed his performances from '73 the most. I also liked the flow of the solos from him in that year too.

1973...it was still relatively concise, Jimmy and Jones were still nailing the riff...the tympani addition worked great, and without the over-flanging that marred the 75 and 77 solos for me...the way the lights reflected off and thru Bonzo's Vistalites...and most important, the fact I got to sing happy birthday to Bonham after one of his Moby Dick's in 73.

Archived