Living Loving Maid

I always liked it too. It has a great sound that I like. I think Jimmy just didn't like the groove. Some songs sound good but feel awkward to play...perhaps this was one for him....

I think that at the time it was a little to pop, unlike Comminucation Breakdown. Of all the Zep. catalogue, I feel this song is the most pop-friendly. But I love it. Perhaps it was about someone he didn't like. It's one of the most catchy songs EVER played by the band, if not the most.

For whatever reason, I think it was a good reason at the time not to play it live or make it a hit. If it had, I feel this song could have made the public feel Zep. was about pop, friendly type songs instead of diversity..which is what Page wanted! I'm happy the band became what they are instead of another Britney Spears!

I saw Robert play it during the Manic Nirvana tour and he also references it as a song they wouldn't be playing at the Earl's Court 5/24 show. He jokingly sings the first line as something they wouldn't be doing on that evening! Anyway, I think it would have been a good one. Isn't it the b-side to Whole Lotta Love single (I still have that 45 - in mono)?

The song is about an over the hill groupie that followed them around constantly. She would show up drunk, and interrupt the bands recording sessions. Jimmy page got even though..... He walked into the booth, picked out a homely girl that was there, and demanded that the old tart give up her seat so that the girl could sit down. The older woman sat there for a few seconds stone faced, and then got up and left, never bothering Led Zeppelin ever again.

That has GOT to be one of THE most sexist songs ever written in the HIStory of rock n roll. If Jimmy wrote it about someone he didn't like, God help them. He couldn't have been more insulting with this number.

(ps-that's sexIST, not sexy- as Nigel Tufnel would say, "a little twist"...)

That has GOT to be one of THE most sexist songs ever written in the HIStory of rock n roll. If Jimmy wrote it about someone he didn't like, God help them. He couldn't have been more insulting with this number.

(ps-that's sexIST, not sexy- as Nigel Tufnel would say, "a little twist"...)

If these girls have no respect for themselves why should you expect the band to have respect for them? You realise that these people were hangers on looking for benefits from being near rock stars - hardly a pure and worthy existence.

Have a listen to the Stones 'Under My Thumb' and get back to me about this being the most sexist song.

If these girls have no respect for themselves why should you expect the band to have respect for them? You realise that these people were hangers on looking for benefits from being near rock stars - hardly a pure and worthy existence.

Have a listen to the Stones 'Under My Thumb' and get back to me about this being the most sexist song.

Or Starfucker.

Calm down. How do you know Maid was about a groupie? It could have been about a girlfriend, a next door neighbor or a landlord for all you know.

Under My Thumb ties in first place with Maid. Thumb disturbs me, too.

Calm down. How do you know Maid was about a groupie? It could have been about a girlfriend, a next door neighbor or a landlord for all you know.

Under My Thumb ties in first place with Maid. Thumb disturbs me, too.

No it's about an over the hill groupie.

Yeah, Under my Thumb probably gets the prize, but this one is a close runner up.

Put me down in the don't like it category. Silly, egotistical lyrics and simple music. Right there on the short list of Zeppeliln songs I could cheerfully never hear again...

LLM is chapter two of Heartbreaker. Why do you think there's no pause between them on the album? Because they're connected.

Heartbreaker: Annie's back in town. Fellas lay their money down.

LLM: We all know what your name is (Annie), so ya better lay your money down.

She breaks Robert's heart "a thousand times can't take your evil ways. Go away Heartbreaker" and he kicks her to the curb. Fast forward. Now she's "just a woman", a cheating woman clinging to the past and trying to act as if her past is something more than it really was. "Telling tall tales".

It's just a theory I came up with. It's never been said in any interview I've read, and I could be totally wrong, but it fits. :beer:

When I first heard the second album, I thought that Heartbreaker and LLM were one song. I thought that for a good stretch of time Ahh, what the hell would you expect from a 12 yr old :D

A heartbreaker is a heartbreaker, not loving. I heard Heartbreaker live when I first saw Led Zeppelin in 1969. It's a song that more or less means that I ain't gonna be your low down dog no more.

You're missing the point. The "Living Loving" part is her interpretation of herself. That's why "She's just a woman" is tagged onto the song title in parenthesis. That's the reality side. See how the irony works? Again, that's why the songs are attached.

See, the idea is, if you spend your days as a Heartbreaker, your future will be:

With a purple umbrella and a fifty cent hat,

Livin', lovin', she's just a woman.

Missus cool rides out in her aged Cadillac.

Come on, babe on the round about,

Ride on the merry-go-round,

We all know what your name is,

So you better lay your money down.

Alimony, alimony payin' your bills,

When your conscience hits, you knock it back with pills.

Tellin' tall tales of how it used to be,

With the butler and the maid and the servantry.

Livin', lovin', she's just a woman, Oh, you got it.

Nobody hears a single word you say.

But you keep on talkin' till your dyin' day.

Livin', Lovin', She's just a woman

See what I mean? :beer: