Living Loving Maid

I ain't gonna be your low down dog no more says it all.

And how exactly does this post contribute to the discussion (the thread is about Living Loving Maid afterall)? Jeez, Honey. Can't you entertain a new thought for once? You know, an exchange of ideas with the purpose of arriving at some sort of discovery or revealing. Here I sit, prefacing my ideas with the clear disclaimer that it's only an idea I had, and you railroad through with blanket statements of your opinions as if they're concrete facts. As always.

Anyway, thanks for your clarification. Afterall you did see them in 1969, so I defer to your well-earned infallability. Nothing like a ticket stub to prove you know the inner minds of a rock band.

Oh and BTW, if "I ain't gonna be your low down dog no more says it all", why aren't those words to be found in the song? Too simple I guess. Go figure. Besides, we're talking (again) about LLM, and how it relates to Heartbreaker. Your assertion is empty in the context of the discussion.

Good point.

In what way? "Hmm, not a big fan of it". Yeah, that's an eye opening perspective. Real in depth stuff you've latched onto there. Well read. That must be why they never played it live. Because someone born in 1986 isn't a big fan. You're spot on tonight.

BTW, no offense to you BloodyXXX. It's just that Eternal Light's thought process vexes me. :beer:

...With the butler and the maid and the servantry.

One good thing about this thread, I always thought the words were "with the butler and the maid and the servants three." Now I know better, but the song still makes my skin crawl.

One good thing about this thread, I always thought the words were "with the butler and the maid and the servants three." Now I know better, but the song still makes my skin crawl.

I just copied that from a lyrics board. I always though it was "servants three" too! Like in Old King Cole's "Fiddlers three". :lol:

Hmm, Cole. I smell a mystery! ;)

Wow Honey (I mean Eternal Light), magnificent job of editing all of your posts in an attempt to make me seem like I'm arguing with myself for no reason. Kudos. Well done. So you said nothing? Just taking up bandwidth with nothing to say? Big, empty posts. Just dots. Just hit "enter" by mistake, did you? Half a dozen times? How little things change. At least I speak my mind and stand behind what I say (and acknowledge when I'm wrong).

Well this is quite strange, I just finished listening to Led Zeppelin II for the first time, and Living Loving Maid struck me as the weakest song on the album by far. Could I ask if anyone has the orignal interview where Page said he disliked the song? Thanks in advance.

Actually, listening to the song again, most of it is quite decent, but the music (in the vocal and guitar) that accompanies the words "she's just a woman" is incredibly cheesy, but may be a concession to 50s and 60s style pop.

I think Living Loving Maid is a great rock song. Never wrong with a plain rock'n'roll song. I like it the way it's put together with Heartbreaker, with no pause in between.

A great rock song with one of the most memorable licks in the history of rock. I love playing that lick (and Whole Lotta Love) on my Les Paul. I think people are taking the song too seriously here, trying to analyze it through a politically correct lens. Lighten up, people! It's a fun, tongue-in-cheek rock song.

It's beyond me to understand Jimmy/the Band not enjoying Living Loving Maid but playing Hotdog or possibly even liking Darlene better. There's no accounting for taste, even from the ones who wrote the songs.

Well, you're talking songs from another era when you go from LLM to Darlene or Hot Dog. Those songs were examples of the bands humorous side that were recorded long after they'd become the biggest act of the 70s. After Oakland '77. After Plant's child died. After the dark time when no one knew if Robert would return to the band. So yeah, there was a lighter, sillier side in the studio during that time. It was therapy at that point. You can't compare that to a song from the 60s that Jimmy perhaps felt was a little too pop, and no quite what he wanted to continue with.

Besides, I like Darlene. Great Bonzo beat. And well, my band has been playing Hot Dog for 18 years. A personal fave of ours. Oh well. Like you said, "no accounting for taste". Even from the fans. To each their own. Peace. :beer:

Edited by Evster2012

Well since Jimmy was the head of the band, there must have been some reason why he didn't want to play the song live. Maybe it was a Bi*ch to record in the studio and he just hated it for that. Maybe the others wanted the song on the record and he didn't, but he gave it. Who knows..

Very good, catchy song though. I think it was a sequel to Zeppelin I's Communication Breakdown or Good Times, Bad Times. Just a short, rocking song. I'm thinking it was a personal song to Page and that's why he didn't want to play it live. Like maybe at the time he had been pissed off at a woman/or Plant had been.

I still think the song just sounded to "poppy" for Zeppelin to play live and that's why they didn't play it live. They were used to the live sound they were doing and the song just didn't fit; same as Your Time is Gonna Come.

Zeppelin II is an altogether wonderful album from start to finish. I remember listening to it and not liking Moby Dick or Bring it On Home. But listening to it as a whole it sounds so fresh (for the times and even today) and so rocking.

And as some of you have said..Zeppelin putting out some humor..Let's not forget HOTH's The Crunge! I hated that song for a long time but I love it now since I'm older. Although I feel the song did not fit on the album and that's the only reason why IV flowed better than Houses!

I still think the song just sounded to "poppy" for Zeppelin to play live and that's why they didn't play it live. They were used to the live sound they were doing and the song just didn't fit; same as Your Time is Gonna Come.

That's my take. It certainly isn't a difficult song. Although YTIGC was revisited when Jimmy played with the Black Crowes. I think what it really boils down to is that they were forging ahead like the proverbiale steamtrain, and like many songs dropped off while new stuff was constantly being added to the set, they simply didn't find it relevant. I mean, listen to those recordings from the time. I can't see where it would have fit.

That's my take. It certainly isn't a difficult song. Although YTIGC was revisited when Jimmy played with the Black Crowes. I think what it really boils down to is that they were forging ahead like the proverbiale steamtrain, and like many songs dropped off while new stuff was constantly being added to the set, they simply didn't find it relevant. I mean, listen to those recordings from the time. I can't see where it would have fit.

Exactly. I love the song now (2008) but back then in mid-69 they didn't want that song to get in the way of what they were trying to do. HHmmm...Such as YTIGC and RO from Z2..

To me the second album reminded me of ITTOD..Very good..but very accessible and "poppy" I mean catchy! I think that's one reason why in '79 and '80 they didn't play too much from ITTOD..and back in '69 when they were still trying to find themselves in the music industry why they chose not to play LLM among others.

Right after Heartbreaker, in any set! :D

Haha, okay! :lol:

We’re Gonna Groove, I Can’t Quit You, Dazed and Confused, Heartbreaker, Living Loving Maid, White Summer / Black Mountain Side, Since I’ve Been Loving You, organ solo, Thank You, What Is and What Should Never Be, Moby Dick, How Many More Times, Whole Lotta Love. For example? ;)

Wow Honey (I mean Eternal Light), magnificent job of editing all of your posts in an attempt to make me seem like I'm arguing with myself for no reason. Kudos. Well done. So you said nothing? Just taking up bandwidth with nothing to say? Big, empty posts. Just dots. Just hit "enter" by mistake, did you? Half a dozen times? How little things change. At least I speak my mind and stand behind what I say (and acknowledge when I'm wrong).

Amen!

• 11 years later...
On 5/14/2008 at 12:25 AM, Mattmc1973 said:

I think it's one of Jimmy's best all-time riffs, and has a great solo. I always thought it was a great song, one of the best on LZII, and was surprised to learn the band didn't like it. Weird...

No disrespect and I know this is an old thread but this wasn't Jimmy's RIFF this was brought to the band by John Paul Jones's, Heartbreaker as well! However I believe Jimmy had something to do with the lyrics!    "You better lay your money down" I believe came from Jimmy!

Never underestimate John Paul Jones's input, as I'm sure you know.

And I love both of them especially back to back!