"The Pop Life" (Coda review)

Cat

I have all the Zeppelin albums on LP (even after purchasing the Complete Studio Recordings Box Set) and the one thing I hear about musicians who I listen to (Tool, NIN, etc. etc.) is that the album art and sleeves just don't do justice with CD releases and are only background. When albums came out back in the 70's and up to late 80's the album art was just as important as the music. Although CDs are more convenient, they just don't have the magic or the anticipation like the LPS did.

Such as if I was a new Zeppelin fan and picked up Coda on CD, I wouldn't even be thinking about the holes in the field on the back cover. I'd be more into the music. However, if it had been Vinyl sized and I purchased it, I'd be listening to the music and looking at the album cover/sleeves at the same time.

Shame the Complete Studio Albums Box Set wasn't released in this format; large LP reprintings with CDs.

E-2012, IF I were trolling, believe me , I wouldn't be doing it on THIS Forum!

Despite your obvious disdain for my "approach" on this topic, I actually like your honesty and forth-right-ness. Your not a bad guy, not at all really.

Not disdain. Frustration, since your approach is to suggest and not substantiate. I've asked you repeatedly to show this connection, and you've just gone on saying it's there and nothing more. Why speak up at all about it. Why say it's there, but not how? What's the point? To send people on a long slog through Kabbalist practise looking for breadcrumbs? Why not just post your theory and let the public draw their own conclusions? Y'know. "Honest and forthright". Why be all cryptic?

I have all the Zeppelin albums on LP (even after purchasing the Complete Studio Recordings Box Set) and the one thing I hear about musicians who I listen to (Tool, NIN, etc. etc.) is that the album art and sleeves just don't do justice with CD releases and are only background. When albums came out back in the 70's and up to late 80's the album art was just as important as the music. Although CDs are more convenient, they just don't have the magic or the anticipation like the LPS did.

Such as if I was a new Zeppelin fan and picked up Coda on CD, I wouldn't even be thinking about the holes in the field on the back cover. I'd be more into the music. However, if it had been Vinyl sized and I purchased it, I'd be listening to the music and looking at the album cover/sleeves at the same time.

Shame the Complete Studio Albums Box Set wasn't released in this format; large LP reprintings with CDs.

Great points Goll...! I remember going to the record store to buy a Zep album (LP) and holding the artwork on the cover in my hands and just staring at it in wonder!

Zep's choice of LP Cover art was so cool! Presence, HOtH, Physical, ITTOD, IV, all great, but CODA, now there's a great piece of mystery!

CD covers just don't cut it.

Not disdain. Frustration, since your approach is to suggest and not substantiate. I've asked you repeatedly to show this connection, and you've just gone on saying it's there and nothing more. Why speak up at all about it. Why say it's there, but not how? What's the point? To send people on a long slog through Kabbalist practise looking for breadcrumbs? Why not just post your theory and let the public draw their own conclusions? Y'know. "Honest and forthright". Why be all cryptic?

right said, fred.

so, what up? crawfish some more?

just hold your breath and type it in.

take the plunge.

no grudges.

or piss off.

no grudges.

Great points Goll...! I remember going to the record store to buy a Zep album (LP) and holding the artwork on the cover in my hands and just staring at it in wonder!

Zep's choice of LP Cover art was so cool! Presence, HOtH, Physical, ITTOD, IV, all great, but CODA, now there's a great piece of mystery!

CD covers just don't cut it.

I can agree with that! Gazing at the cover was part of the experience. That's for sure.

Still, to me the back cover represents the last harvest of what was left. Fields of vinyl records being cultivated, saying "This is the last of the fruits of our labors as Led Zeppelin. This soil shall no more be tilled." That's what it always represented to me and my friends from the day it was released. The front cover saying CODA, a passage which brings a movement or a separate piece to a conclusion. The inner gatefold with pictures of the days of Led Zeppelin. And finally the back cover. It's all very clear IMO.

But like I said, if you have something else to offer. Please do.

O.K., We'll pursue this a bit then. First of all, even if I did post every little piece of info I have on this subject:

A. 99 percent of the fans of this forum wouldn't care.

B. 99 percent would either laugh or scratch their heads like...dude, WTF!

C. Kabbalah ain't for everyone, so why bore them here.

D. Being a student of the Arts , I was taught that the "bread crumbs" are the best part of any journey.

E. Most people, if they have an interest, DON'T want to be told the ending of a book or movie, or in this case, a profound theory, before they get a chance to find out the ending THEMSELVES!

F. I believe in Hermetic practice, where the Light is slightly cloaked and not held out to blind - but to guide.

I apologize to you, Steve, beatbo, Get the Led out, etc. if my process here doesn't conform to yours. But the fact that we have a variety of people and methods, like yours, like mine, makes this Forum so much fun and educational.

Do we agree to disagree or does your dis-satisfaction remain?

Let's just say that based on my experince on this and other boards, you grossly underestimate the interest of people in this topic. 99% of Led Zeppelin forum members? I'd say more than 1% have dabbled in the occult to seek answers. Like "Zoso". How many dozens of threads? How many websites? A symbol for Saturn from The Red Dragon (aka The Grand Grimoire). So now we know. It was inevitable that someone would dig through enough books and finally stumble across it. Hell, I found the Cardan version of the Zoso sigil in a book at The Eye of the Cat occult store in Long Beach in the early 80s. I made the journey, and my feet are tired. My interest have been more leaning toward thelema over the last decade or so. So throw a guy a frickin bone already.

Do we agree to disagree or does your dis-satisfaction remain?

as a holder of a degree in fine arts myself, the act of breadcrumbs in my experience has always included breadcrumbs.

what i am vehemently against is meandering ameobic-intellects who want to jam a bunch of mystical occult bullshit up everyone's ass when it comes to jimmy page and i'm pretty sick of it.

due to the reunion, new releases, etc, we have a bunch of new fans just warming up to this band and while it is not my personal goal to safeguard things i don't like from these people, i reserve the right on this forum to call bullshit when i smell it. in the nicest way possible, of course.

because, first and foremost, there is the music.

now, we all know about loch ness, crowley, equinox, the curse, the mystique, the graphic art, blah, blah, blah-and i'm not OPPOSED to any of that-but put it in perspective, back it up with facts or state that it is your opinion, and lets discuss it.

your apology isn't needed.

thank you for your time.

come again!

added: the journey for CODA should result in music. i don't care what the pictures are. nuff said!

as a holder of a degree in fine arts myself, the act of breadcrumbs in my experience has always included breadcrumbs.

what i am vehemently against is meandering ameobic-intellects who want to jam a bunch of mystical occult bullshit up everyone's ass when it comes to jimmy page and i'm pretty sick of it.

due to the reunion, new releases, etc, we have a bunch of new fans just warming up to this band and while it is not my personal goal to safeguard things i don't like from these people, i reserve the right on this forum to call bullshit when i smell it. in the nicest way possible, of course.

because, first and foremost, there is the music.

now, we all know about loch ness, crowley, equinox, the curse, the mystique, the graphic art, blah, blah, blah-and i'm not OPPOSED to any of that-but put it in perspective, back it up with facts or state that it is your opinion, and lets discuss it.

your apology isn't needed.

thank you for your time.

come again!

added: the journey for CODA should result in music. i don't care what the pictures are. nuff said!

aleistercrowley.jpg

....why, daddy, why? *)

Archived