Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  

Personally, I do not consider Coda to be a "Led Zeppelin" album.

Yes, the material on it was played and created by them, but it was culled together following the death of Bonham and official end to the band for the sole reason of fulfilling contractual obligations.

Let me put it this way, Led Zeppelins last album was In Through the Out Door, not Coda.

“In Through The Out Door” (…which I love to do…) was their last studio release…Coda was a compilation of previously un-released recordings…’I can’t Quit You Baby” was a recorded sound check at Royal Albert Hall on September 1’ 70…Thus it is a live recording that was previously unreleased…So the Coda was the bands last LP…

And to the Hockey Puck that stated…”Phil Collins plays drums on Bonzos Monteux”…No John Henry Bonham played the drums during the recording…Phil Collins isn’t a pimple on Bonzos behind…

“In Through The Out Door” (…which I love to do…) was their last studio release…Coda was a compilation of previously un-released recordings…’I can’t Quit You Baby” was a recorded sound check at Royal Albert Hall on September 1’ 70…Thus it is a live recording that was previously unreleased…So the Coda was the bands last LP…

And to the Hockey Puck that stated…”Phil Collins plays drums on Bonzos Monteux”…No John Henry Bonham played the drums during the recording…Phil Collins isn’t a pimple on Bonzos behind…

all new albums are previously unreleased...as in "houses of the holy was previously unreleased".

ICQYB is not a soundcheck but from the actual gig, i believe

the bands' last LP was "mothership"

but we know what you mean....

i don't know about phil collins and acne, but you're very right about the rest.

not trying to be an a-hole,,,just having fun.

here's ICQYB from the website if noone has their zep DVD around.

one of my favorite page solos:

ICQYB royal albert hall

Edited by beatbo

The EP issue was ditched after Knebworth, bigger things were being planned due to Robert's desire to continue singing with the band.

When was Robert deciding to quit? I know Bonzo expressed a desire to quit at some point but I thought Robert convinced him not to.

When was Robert deciding to quit? I know Bonzo expressed a desire to quit at some point but I thought Robert convinced him not to.

They were on hiatus from live performances for nearly two years following the death of

Karac Plant. It was not known when and if Robert would return to music but gradually

he did return, via the rehearsals at Clearwell Castle in May 1978. Following the short

tour of Europe in '80 he agreed to do another United States tour provided it was limited to one month, which it was. Unfortunately, the loss of Bonham preceeded it.

CODA had to be put out mainly so Jimmy could use the Kabbalistic symbols shown on the album cover in some fashion.

CODA was released to fulfill their recording contract obligation with Atlantic Records.

It's always said that -presence if so overlooked, but i think -coda is. It is not an album in a way...its put together and it feels that way, but track by track its a great record to listen to.

I think that as fans, there is a time where its really a depressing record...but it is a record and it was what it was.

I really love Poor Tom and We're Gonna Groove. I listened to that album a lot on a long bus ride a long time ago and it was a very pleasant experience.

:o:blush: Took me awhile to get this one.

Carry on.

I really love Poor Tom and We're Gonna Groove. I listened to that album a lot on a long bus ride a long time ago and it was a very pleasant experience.

I played -poor tom yrs ago on a family trip to -canada, everyone liked it, so i played it a few times and ofcourse got to play a few more songs off coda at the time.

all new albums are previously unreleased...as in "houses of the holy was previously unreleased".

ICQYB is not a soundcheck but from the actual gig, i believe

the bands' last LP was "mothership"

but we know what you mean....

i don't know about phil collins and acne, but you're very right about the rest.

not trying to be an a-hole,,,just having fun.

here's ICQYB from the website if noone has their zep DVD around.

one of my favorite page solos:

ICQYB royal albert hall

When I used the term “previously unreleased” It was implied that the material was recorded and never used…Out-takes…That is why it was not referred to as a studio release…”Mothership” is not an LP (Long Play Record) yet…In August it will be their last LP…CD’s are not classified as LP’s…Read the inside of the original “Coda” LP and it states that “I Can’t Quit You Baby” was recorded during a sound check at Page’s Request…I believe this to be true…I can’t confirm this because I lost my record collection along with the contents of my house during a house fire in 1995…I Laugh every time I think about how I cut school to get first pressing…I had an original Zeppelin III with the “Gold Release” Award on it…“Houses” with the deep purple sky…And I forgot how many copy’s of “In Through” I purchased to try and collect all six versions…In a Paper Bag…

Trivia…Poor Tom was recorded with John Henry playing double base…I wish they let him do more with the double base…And it was recorded on my B-day…Yes it’s an excellent tune…

"When I used the term “previously unreleased” It was implied that the material was recorded and never used…Out-takes…"

i was fucking with you. sorry. i thought you knew...

"Mothership” is not an LP (Long Play Record) yet…In August it will be their last LP…"

it's their last LP. just because you have to wait until august doesn't mean it ain't pressed yet..

"CD’s are not classified as LP’s…"

you got one right.

"Read the inside of the original “Coda” LP and it states that “I Can’t Quit You Baby” was recorded during a sound check at Page’s Request"

i have "coda" on long-playing record, lol. i cut class to get it, too. (southern illinois university). at first glance and listen, it was both exhilirating and depressing.

it does say that on the sleeve.

it's wrong.

didn't you get any albert hall boots or the DVD? didn't take a peek at the song on the video page of this website? you should check it out. if you thought the recording is smoking, watch the film..

sorry about the fire.

".. I had an original Zeppelin III with the “Gold Release” Award on it…"

secondary (subsequent) pressing

"And I forgot how many copy’s of “In Through” I purchased to try and collect all six versions…In a Paper Bag…"

i have all six...and some dupes. which ones do you need?

Yes it counts. Your friend's argument is completely dumb. All the music is performed by the original members. Why wouldn't it count?

P.S. "Wearing and Tearing" rocks!

Edited by Wolfman

This really doesn't make any sense. When Bonham died they were rehearsing for the 1980 North American tour with ITTOD recently released. So, while their touring they're going to release a "20 some-odd song" album with only three songs in the can, where are the other 17 songs gonna come from? How could they possibly do a tour and record and release a double album at the same time?

Answer: no way in hell

Let's see, if my memory serves me right, (and correct me if I'm wrong Steve,) but LZI was recorded in less than 18 hours, LZII was basically recorded while on tour at different studios, LZIII was fermented at a Welsh cottage with no electricity, LZIV was Headly Grange (remote), PG was a mish-mosh of unreleased LZIV and HOTH which then comprised the double album along with the new songs that we know, Presence was birthed in 19 days with Robert on crutches and the incredible Achilles Last Stand was produced, ITTOD was a full-time Robert and Jonsey effort with a part-time Jimmy and Bonzo still reeling from addictions...

Seems to me the Zeppers thrived on last minute, against the odds, challenges and did very nicely with their product - thank you!

So, there IS a way in Hell, and more often than naught, Led Zep found their way in and out.

A 1980 double album was exactly what the Band needed and wanted to release.

Edited by nirvana

Hi Nirvana,

How did you hear about this? That's pretty interesting. Also - please excuse my ignorance - what are the Kabbalistic symbols on Coda?

No ignorance on your part! Jimmy was (is) a Master at hiding Truths in plain sight. For my part, I was a student of the Kabbalah at the time and I stumbled across the Coda symbols in an old Kabbalic text book. Their meaning, much to my surprise, was so profound, that I persued the deepest parts of the Kabbalah from that point on. Thanks to Jimmy, my search wasn't in vain.

Upon finding the clues I even wrote Jimmy via the record company and , of course, never heard a word back but I knew the deal. Maybe he got my letter - maybe not. It is what it is.

All due to a little "mixed bag" album called Coda whose secrets still remain unearthed.

As far as the double album goes, I'm surprised that no one from the time remembers some of the press that had leaked about this project. What I remember was that it was to be a double or triple fold-out type cover with some serious art work by an obscure artist that Jimmy and Robert knew of. The album was to incorporate un-released and new songs (like Physical Graffitti) and would be 20 or more songs.

The project even had some record company "code name" at the time due to the importance of its release because, as stated here earlier, record sales were dropping like flies on morphine.

The execs knew that a MAJOR Zeppelin release and Tour of the U.S., albeit a short one as SAJ states, would single-handedly pull serious cash flow into Atlantic Records. No one was buying into the punk scene - but the punks themselves, who hated anything to do with record companys or suits. Underground releases were becoming huge and of course there was no money being filtered down to the Record Co.s hands - everyone was panicking about punk and rebellion music.

However, Ahmet and the Zep had a plan.

Edited by nirvana

It was a joke (aka Live Aid)!!

Yes it counts. Your friend's argument is completely dumb. All the music is performed by the original members. Why wouldn't it count?

P.S. "Wearing and Tearing" rocks!

Yeah i know it was astupid argument but the only reason it turned out to be an argument was becuase it was RELEASED AFTER Bonzo's death.

p.p.s Wearing and Tearing does indeed ROCK!

Hi Nirvana,

How did you hear about this? That's pretty interesting. Also - please excuse my ignorance - what are the Kabbalistic symbols on Coda?

There aren't any.

It was just a day when Bonzo was in a funk. He said to Robert "Hey why don't I sing and you play drums?" or something to that effect. Everyone has a bad day. Too much should not be made of it. Those I know who spoke to Bonzo around that time have said he was nothing less than his usual enthusiastic teddy bear self.

Edited by Evster2012

There aren't any.[/sup]

That's a mis-informed statement.

Edited by nirvana

^^

I think I made perfectly clear your opportunity to point things out. You keep contradicting me, but you bring nothing in the way of research. Where is it? If you're so informed, and I'm so off the mark, show me. Show us. What exactly is Kabbalistic on the CODA cover? Specifics. I'm dying to see what your great comprehension of the topic has to illuminate us to. Go ahead. I'm still here. Either make your point or keep pissing in the wind. Now's your chance. We're all waiting.

CODA counts. I think it was one way the band said goodbye to Bonham. Thusly the name CODA :)

Sure it counts! I guess the real debate is whether it qualifies as an "official" Zeppelin album. In that sense, I suppose not, as Led Zeppelin didn't put it together collectively. But is it an album of Zeppelin? Hell yes it is! It really boils down to semantics, and what's the point, really? Am I gonna cherish it or cast it aside as some bag of random outtakes? Do what you want. I'm keeping mine! Up CODA!!! :beer:

Sure it counts! I guess the real debate is whether it qualifies as an "official" Zeppelin album. In that sense, I suppose not, as Led Zeppelin didn't put it together collectively. But is it an album of Zeppelin? Hell yes it is! It really boils down to semantics, and what's the point, really? Am I gonna cherish it or cast it aside as some bag of random outtakes? Do what you want. I'm keeping mine! Up CODA!!! :beer:

Well. I will take the time to rephrase that and say it counts as an Led Zeppelin album. If all of it were done with just a few outtakes of Bonz tossed in I would have to say no! But as it is exactly the inversion on the above I think it was a good go at it. After all it gave us all a bit more Zep which is what everyones after anyways.

Cheers>

:beer:

It was a joke (aka Live Aid)!!

Bad Joke...Deserves a comment…Never liked colleens…never will…

Let's see, if my memory serves me right, (and correct me if I'm wrong Steve,) but LZI was recorded in less than 18 hours, LZII was basically recorded while on tour at different studios, LZIII was fermented at a Welsh cottage with no electricity, LZIV was Headly Grange (remote), PG was a mish-mosh of unreleased LZIV and HOTH which then comprised the double album along with the new songs that we know, Presence was birthed in 19 days with Robert on crutches and the incredible Achilles Last Stand was produced, ITTOD was a full-time Robert and Jonsey effort with a part-time Jimmy and Bonzo still reeling from addictions...

Seems to me the Zeppers thrived on last minute, against the odds, challenges and did very nicely with their product - thank you!

So, there IS a way in Hell, and more often than naught, Led Zep found their way in and out.

A 1980 double album was exactly what the Band needed and wanted to release.

LZ I took 30 hours. Jimmy knows because he paid the studio bill. Please cite even one shred of credible evidence to support a 1980 double album was exactly what the Band needed and wanted to release.