Recording

Matthew!

Does anyone out there record? What do you use? Mics/hardware/software/techniques.

This is something my band has been struggling with for a long time...we just don't have the money to buy any quality recording equipment. We've been getting by with a headset mic and audacity, but the sound quality is so horrible that it's really not worth recording at all. :rolleyes:

Does anyone out there record? What do you use? Mics/hardware/software/techniques.

This is something my band has been struggling with for a long time...we just don't have the money to buy any quality recording equipment. We've been getting by with a headset mic and audacity, but the sound quality is so horrible that it's really not worth recording at all. :rolleyes:

The biggest problem you have is the mic you are using is obviously not up for the job. It doesn't matter what software you use - if you use a poor mic you will not get a good sound. My suggestion would be to invest in a quality mic.

Other than that you have to think about how you want to record the band - a live recording with everyone playing at the same time? Or do you want to get clean tracks of each person to be able to tweak each instrument later?

Maybe you could record the band together, and use it as a 'scratch track' - ie the drummer listens to the scratch track and you record the drums on their own track, without the rest of the band playing, then repeat this for guitars and bass etc. This way each individual instrument is on its own track and can be made louder/quieter and have other adjustments.

Also give consideration to the room in which you're recording. Is it a small room/large room, a garage? each will have unique acoustics - the garage will probably have a lot of echo, so maybe you should think about putting up something to stop that etc

Oh yeah, I know some recording techniques, etc. And it is quite obvious that the mic is our problem, yes. :lol: I'll hopefully be transferring out of state for college this fall, so I'm not sure about investing in a mic at this point in time. I was just curious about other people's methods and equipment preferences; I enjoy learning from other people's experience. Saves me time and money. B)

Oh yeah, I know some recording techniques, etc. And it is quite obvious that the mic is our problem, yes. :lol: I'll hopefully be transferring out of state for college this fall, so I'm not sure about investing in a mic at this point in time. I was just curious about other people's methods and equipment preferences; I enjoy learning from other people's experience. Saves me time and money. B)

Another method you can use for amplified instruments is to plug straight into the computer. The system I worked out is plug guitar into amp, run a lead from the headphone jack of the amp to the Line In on the computer and record that. That will bypass your microphone problems.

Another method you can use for amplified instruments is to plug straight into the computer. The system I worked out is plug guitar into amp, run a lead from the headphone jack of the amp to the Line In on the computer and record that. That will bypass your microphone problems.

I'm playing a Gretsch Semi-Hollow with a Bigby in this Video:

I'm playing a Les Paul Studio Wine-Red in this video:

And an Alexis Acoustic that I bought off an old man, out of the back of his truck @ the Arkansas/Missouri border:

Archived