Four nights in Toronto?

legend1

Actually... ummm.... Ozzy would beg to differ with you... haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdwOoinuJi0

Poor video quality... but hey, so are the Cubs!

I suppose technically you're right, but only 'cause Ozzy completely f*****d up the original. I'm sure he couldn't even recall doing this. You can't put a price on entertainment like this.

This could be more exciting than it first appears. Suppose there is a grain of truth in the rumour (there often is) it's just the details that are wrong. This could be the initial planning for The World Tour to hit Canada in August '09.

I agree with The Sun article that the sound in the Rogers Centre blows... it's absolutely horrible. (I saw Page/Plant there and while it was amazing, the sound wasn't that great.) The Globe and Mail article is interesting as it is one of our national newspapers and I would argue, our most reliable.

This could be more exciting than it first appears. Suppose there is a grain of truth in the rumour (there often is) it's just the details that are wrong. This could be the initial planning for The World Tour to hit Canada in August '09.

I was thinking the same.

I agree with The Sun article that the sound in the Rogers Centre blows... it's absolutely horrible. (I saw Page/Plant there and while it was amazing, the sound wasn't that great.) The Globe and Mail article is interesting as it is one of our national newspapers and I would argue, our most reliable.

While the Globe and Mail is a good source, remember they are only rehashing a blog post from Much Music which may be considered somewhat less reliable.

Promoter Shoots Down Rumors Of LED ZEPPELIN Concerts In Canada

Greg Quill of the Toronto Star reports that persistent rumors and frenzied Internet chat about the likelihood of one or more LED ZEPPELIN concerts in late August at Toronto's Rogers Centre — formerly the SkyDome — are just that, says one of two rock promoters large enough to handle an event of such magnitude in this part of the world.

"They're just rumors," Debra Rathwell, senior VP at Anschutz Entertainment Group Live and head of the company's New York office, told the Toronto Star.

"(Roots music star) Alison Krauss and (LED ZEPPELIN front man) Robert Plant are touring together till at least the end of July, and Plant has made it perfectly clear that he doesn't want to tour with LED ZEPPELIN.

"Of course, stranger things have happened, but I can tell you that my office is not involved in any LED ZEPPELIN concerts in Toronto or anywhere else," Rathwell added.

Read the entire article from the Toronto Star

The National Post, Canada's other national newspaper released the following story today. It seems that the Rogers Centre spokeswoman is backing off her previous comments, though she has certainly not said there are no talks at all. My thought is that a promoter, who has either signed zep or is hoping to, is in contact with various arenas to put together a tour package for them. If they have not yet agreed to do a tour, perhaps this would be a way of enticing them. There are clearly some discussions going on at many places. Remember the MSG rumors? The question is whether Zeppelin have agreed to do anything, or if it is just some over zealous promoter on a wing and a prayer.

Rogers Centre left dazed and confused by Led Zeppelin rumours

By Brianna Goldberg, National Post

Rogers Centre sources seem dazed and confused by blog reports a Led Zeppelin concert series will be held there this summer.

“We don’t have any details, there are no contracts pending, and I haven’t prepped any kind of press release to send out there,” said Nadia Flaim, communications manager for the centre.

“If we should be lucky enough to book them for a concert, we obviously will announce. But as it stands, there is nothing on the calendar.”

A MuchMusic blog reported on Saturday that a “reliable source” said the band, which reunited for a December concert in London, England, plans a four-day concert series at the centre in August.

“No fancy tour of the U.S., but Toronto will have FOUR dates at Skydome/Rogers Centre this coming August,” said the posting written by Katharine Foster, a MuchMusic Web editor and producer.

“Hardly any bands play Skydome anymore because it’s such a juggernaut of a venue and impossible to fill unless you’re, well, Led Zeppelin.”

Ms. Flaim was quoted in news reports yesterday saying that Rogers Centre was holding “preliminary talks” with Led Zeppelin. But yesterday, Ms. Flaim told the Post that she “wouldn’t even necessarily say they’re in preliminary talks. It’s nothing that formal.”

Ms. Foster’s blog posting suggested tickets would be coveted, as the band just recently reunited after their 1980 breakup. She did not say why they might play in Toronto, a city Led Zeppelin hasn’t played since 1971.

MuchMusic’s communications manager, Graham Machacek, said he could not confirm or elaborate on any of the information in the blog. He added that Ms. Foster’s posting was the result of a “first-hand personal account” and should be considered as such.

Neither Ms. Foster nor Led Zeppelin’s management could be reached to comment on the communication breakdown.

The National Post, Canada's other national newspaper released the following story today. It seems that the Rogers Centre spokeswoman is backing off her previous comments, though she has certainly not said there are no talks at all. My thought is that a promoter, who has either signed zep or is hoping to, is in contact with various arenas to put together a tour package for them. If they have not yet agreed to do a tour, perhaps this would be a way of enticing them. There are clearly some discussions going on at many places. Remember the MSG rumors? The question is whether Zeppelin have agreed to do anything, or if it is just some over zealous promoter on a wing and a prayer.

Rogers Centre left dazed and confused by Led Zeppelin rumours

By Brianna Goldberg, National Post

Rogers Centre sources seem dazed and confused by blog reports a Led Zeppelin concert series will be held there this summer.

“We don’t have any details, there are no contracts pending, and I haven’t prepped any kind of press release to send out there,” said Nadia Flaim, communications manager for the centre.

“If we should be lucky enough to book them for a concert, we obviously will announce. But as it stands, there is nothing on the calendar.”

A MuchMusic blog reported on Saturday that a “reliable source” said the band, which reunited for a December concert in London, England, plans a four-day concert series at the centre in August.

“No fancy tour of the U.S., but Toronto will have FOUR dates at Skydome/Rogers Centre this coming August,” said the posting written by Katharine Foster, a MuchMusic Web editor and producer.

“Hardly any bands play Skydome anymore because it’s such a juggernaut of a venue and impossible to fill unless you’re, well, Led Zeppelin.”

Ms. Flaim was quoted in news reports yesterday saying that Rogers Centre was holding “preliminary talks” with Led Zeppelin. But yesterday, Ms. Flaim told the Post that she “wouldn’t even necessarily say they’re in preliminary talks. It’s nothing that formal.”

Ms. Foster’s blog posting suggested tickets would be coveted, as the band just recently reunited after their 1980 breakup. She did not say why they might play in Toronto, a city Led Zeppelin hasn’t played since 1971.

MuchMusic’s communications manager, Graham Machacek, said he could not confirm or elaborate on any of the information in the blog. He added that Ms. Foster’s posting was the result of a “first-hand personal account” and should be considered as such.

Neither Ms. Foster nor Led Zeppelin’s management could be reached to comment on the communication breakdown.

I guess the talks could be considered pre-preliminary-hypothetical-theoretical-semi-serious discussions with parties possibly tangentially related to subsidiaries partially related to Led Zeppelin intermediaries (unofficial but with merit nonetheless)

August Zep shows? Nope

Perhaps rock giants will play in Toronto sometime, but not this summer

By JASON MACNEIL AND JOHN KRYK, SUN MEDIA

Led Zeppelin will not be performing in Toronto in August, despite speculative reports to the contrary. Whether the legendary rockers reunite later this year, in Toronto or anywhere on this side of the Atlantic Ocean, remains to be determined.

"I would love to be able to say that they are coming, however at this time there is no scheduled date for a performance by the band in August," said Nadia Flaim, communications manager for the Rogers Centre. "It is simply too early to discuss venue or stage set-up, should they come to perform."

Earlier last fall, both Page and Jones told the Sun that the foursome would wait to see how the 02 Arena show went before discussing, either privately or publicly, any further reunions. Zeppelin then regrouped without instruments in January, where Plant informed the others that he'd be touring this spring and summer with Alison Krauss behind their critical-hit CD Raising Sand. That tour concludes July 19 in Nashville.

With no official announcement from the band, speculation since January has focused on either a Zep tour, or series of dates, on this side of the Atlantic some time later this year. Considering the following band-member logistics, reports of Rogers Centre shows in August make almost no sense.

Plant was long seen as the biggest obstacle to any Zeppelin reunion. Publicly he always said it was because he's not into "nostalgia" acts, preferring instead to always break new musical ground either as a solo artist or in collaboration with others, such as Krauss. But those who intimately know Zeppelin's music and career suspect it might also have been because Plant can no longer hit the high notes he so fabulously reached on some of the band's most famous songs, circa 1968-73. In other words, he'd have the most to lose if he couldn't pull off a reunion, vocally. That's undoubtedly why Zeppelin played several songs at 02 Arena in lower keys, including Stairway to Heaven, Ramble On and The Song Remains the Same. Those stepped-down arrangements might even have been the key factor in Plant agreeing to reunite.

Might Led Zeppelin yet reunite later in the fall? Say, in November?

And if in Toronto, wouldn't it make more sense to play at the Air Canada Centre? After all, no band ever cared more about its sound than Led Zeppelin, and all Toronto concert goers can tell you the sound just plain sucks at concerts held inside the concrete reverberation sphere once known as the SkyDome.

For Badgeholders Only, an Internet mailing list devoted to the band, reported in April that Page, Bonham and Jones had been in a rehearsal studio in London. Presumably, then, they're preparing to play something, somewhere, sometime.

Just not at the former SkyDome in August.

Hi:

I heard this rumour on a Canadian station today...I just listened...I thought it was probably not true

I saw The Eurythmics at the Rogers (former Sky Dome)...I was lucky 'cause I was close to the stage...the washrooms are nice in the facility...at least they were in '89...

I volunteer to promote a concert/Festival that is also a fund raiser..I suggest that if there's going to be a Zep concert, they should start selling tickets and making posters soon...August isn't that far away.....like Zeppelin needs much publicity,eh? I doubt there would be any trouble selling tickets...ya never know though...can't take anything for granted....

Juliet :D

Archived