REMEMBER 'Go outside and play'?

Strider

I was givin the oportunity to enjoy the snowy places when I was a child, great fun!

One Christmas Eve in 2004 I asked my son "What do you want the most for Christmas?" He replied "I want it to snow daddy" :(

Well I had to give him a little geography lesson. Son we live in New Orleans it doesn't snow down here.

Well about 9:00am Christmas morning for about half hour he got his wish :blink:

12-25-04_1415.jpg

:D

I live in the same part of the country as you, and a few years ago it actually snowed, and on Christmas Eve no less! It was the big fluffy snow flakes that are so pretty. My kids were already in their teens by then, but they did'nt care, they were outside playing like little kids. I got such a kick out of seeing that. Well needless to say it had all melted by morning, but here in the south you take what you can get, as far as snow is concerned. And of course the memories will always be their. Oh yea, cute snowman, but by looking at the background of your picture, it must of taken you all quite a while to scrape up that much snow!

Oh wow I miss the snow! I remember, when I lived in Connecticut, snow so high I could make caves in it. Of course, I was, like, 3 feet tall at the time, so, you know, anything above that was high. Grandma would help me and friends find the "cleanest snow" and we'd bring it in and make edible snow pies with fruit and chocolate and such things. We could make huge snowmen, and playing hide-and-seek in such high snow was easy because all you had to do was bury yourself...

I hate Georgia's winters because they aren't real winters. Georgia doesn't know what winter is. On the most infamous snow in Georgia's recorded history (well, as long as I've lived here, anyways)... it didn't snow. The entire freakin' state shut down on a slight threat of snow... and not only was it sunny that day, but it was warm. I only needed jeans and a long-sleeve shirt to be comfortable outside. I mean, yeah, school was canceled, but we ended up having an extra day tacked on to the end of school for it (so more like, for nothing).

I really miss the snow...

Maybe its cause I'm in Southern California I'd have to ask "Who DOESN'T own a cell phone".

Me, that's who...never have, and hopefully never will...I intend to hold out as long as I can.

Don't own a blackberry or ipod either.

The girls' gym teacher was Mrs. Jones. She looked and acted very much like a man, and always barked orders through a megaphone. At the age when the boys first took group showers after activities, there was a lot of giggling and unmanly prancing around in the shower - which the boys' gym teacher took immediate note of. He corrected it by announcing "Stop that nonsense or Mrs. Jones is coming in there!" That was a pretty scary thought for us, believe me...

She sounds like she'd have made a good camp guard.

B)

I live in the same part of the country as you, and a few years ago it actually snowed, and on Christmas Eve no less! It was the big fluffy snow flakes that are so pretty. My kids were already in their teens by then, but they did'nt care, they were outside playing like little kids. I got such a kick out of seeing that. Well needless to say it had all melted by morning, but here in the south you take what you can get, as far as snow is concerned. And of course the memories will always be their. Oh yea, cute snowman, but by looking at the background of your picture, it must of taken you all quite a while to scrape up that much snow!

:lol: Not really, just swiped the hood and trunk of my car and sat it atop the roof.

On the topic of playing I was always told never take a lift from a stranger & to always look both ways

before crossing the road. I learnt that jumping a stream might involve a walk home in very wet trousers & stinging nettles were called that for a reason.

Can anyone remember how you made friendships in those days, all I remember is you throw the

stick I would too, followed by the words I bet........ :D

Survival of the fittest.

Where we live (Italy) survival keeps getting harder ...

My husband and I (both in our 40's) enjoyed childhood with unlocked cars and key-under-welcome-mat homes but nowadays things are quite different ... almost every apartment in our building has been broken into in the last five years, even with security alarm systems, double bolts and security doors. Luckily, our pet rabbit woke us up at 4:00 a.m. in time to confront the burglars on our third floor balcony - his thumping sounding like someone cracking a baseball bat, and they ran when we turned on the lights outside. Now we sleep with the outside lights on every night, but nearly everyone in our small town now owns a pit bull or some sort of mean dog.

We live near a beach, and (drug) needles are all over the sand. Beaches weren't like that when we were kids ...

There are a lot of illegal immigrants here, and many come over without identification after having been released from jails in their native countries ... they do what they can to survive, I suppose, but they can be quite aggressive. Pickpockets are everywhere ... guns are rare (in comparison to the U.S.), but knives are common.

We'd like to ignore the obvious, but things are different nowadays. :'(

I can fondly remember playing squirtgun war with my friends across the street in my backyard. Good times.

But when I was ten we moved away to a housing development that wasn't complete yet so the backyard was barren with dead grass and a single baby tree, much different from the beautiful backyard we used to have with many trees and flowers. I never really felt like playing much after that.

From middle school through maybe 9th grade, in the summers; we used to play spotlight in my neighborhood (flashlight tag) every night, for hours. There would be around 15 of us, and we would use all the yards in the neighborhood, except any "mean" people's yards of course :lol: Back then we just knew whose yards you could play in/cut through, and whose you couldn't. (We also knew the names of all the dogs within a 2 mile radius) :)

i told my kids to go outside and play today so they decided to set up a lemonade stand...remember doing that as a kid and you might sell 2 glasses to your mom for 10 cents a glass?

well they sold 22 glasses in a little over an hour for 5 NOK(norwegian kroner) a piece... 5NOK =$1...damn...i think i'm gonna go into the lemonade business :D

i told my kids to go outside and play today so they decided to set up a lemonade stand...remember doing that as a kid and you might sell 2 glasses to your mom for 10 cents a glass?

well they sold 22 glasses in a little over an hour for 5 NOK(norwegian kroner) a piece... 5NOK =$1...damn...i think i'm gonna go into the lemonade business :D

:) You're kids must of had a great time! Mine are too old to be doing that now, and even if they were young enough, they would'nt make any money. Where I live no one is walking around in the streets, It's just to darn hot, it went up to 95 degrees today. I live in an air conditioned city, there is plenty to do here, but it's all inside unless you go to the beach. I grew up on long Island in New York, and yes I can remember lots of lemonade and koolAid stands, did'nt make much money but it was alot of fun!

:) You're kids must of had a great time! Mine are too old to be doing that now, and even if they were young enough, they would'nt make any money. Where I live no one is walking around in the streets, It's just to darn hot, it went up to 95 degrees today. I live in an air conditioned city, there is plenty to do here, but it's all inside unless you go to the beach. I grew up on long Island in New York, and yes I can remember lots of lemonade and koolAid stands, did'nt make much money but it was alot of fun!

A ton of fun. The girls in my neighborhood had one set up today and also had the street chalked out with the biggest Hopscotch track I've ever seen. Laughed my head off when the boy's tried to play ball hockey in the same area :D Somethings are just timeless

A ton of fun. The girls in my neighborhood had one set up today and also had the street chalked out with the biggest Hopscotch track I've ever seen.

I just saw a whole line of chalked out Hopscotch squares in town. :D

At least those kids are moving and jumping and not being 'Jabba The Hut' in front of the TV or computer. :D

At this moment the neighbourhood boy's are playing ball hockey in front of my house. Nothing like the sound of a tennis ball hitting your garage doors on a Sunday morning :D I may have to go out and play myself

At this moment the neighbourhood boy's are playing ball hockey in front of my house. Nothing like the sound of a tennis ball hitting your garage doors on a Sunday morning :D I may have to go out and play myself
:) Go for it!

Archived