Why Alison Krauss?

I'm still on the fence with 'Raising Sand', but I'll admit that her voice is incredible and that their harmonies on the album are great.

That was a nice song by the way.

I've loved it since I first heard it. I was an instant fan of Alison, and Robert teaming with her (of all people) really told me that I wasn't alone in seeing the beauty that's Union Station. It's really a match made in Heaven (to me). I know some folks don't get it, and that's fine. It's not what they'd hoped for. But for me personally, it's everything I could've hoped for. I used to live in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and steeped myself in bluegrass, from Bill Monroe to Jerry Garcia, and hearing Robert and Alison together brought my world together in so many ways. I know it may sound silly to some from either quarter, but damn if it don't work for me! A match made in Heaven me says again!

Edited by Evster2012

I've loved it since I first heard it. I was an instant fan of Alison, and Robert teaming with her (of all people) really told me that I wasn't alone in seeing the beauty that's Union Station. It's really a match made in Heaven (to me). I know some folks don't get it, and that's fine. It's not what they'd hoped for. But for me personally, it's everything I could've hoped for. I used to live in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and steeped myself in bluegrass, from Bill Monroe to Jerry Garcia, and hearing Robert and Alison together brought my world together in so many ways. I know it may sound silly to some from either quarter, but damn if it don't work for me! A match made in Heaven me says again!

My favorite song of hers! Thanks for posting that :D I've always been a fan of bluegrass, old country, American roots music etc. so I had no qualms about Robert pairing up with her. I had no idea what they would ultimately produce together but I trusted both their talents and needless to say I wasn't disappointed. Some people couldn't understand Robert venturing into this area but I wasn't surprised at all. He's always been influenced by roots music.

My favorite song of hers! Thanks for posting that :D I've always been a fan of bluegrass, old country, American roots music etc. so I had no qualms about Robert pairing up with her. I had no idea what they would ultimately produce together but I trusted both their talents and needless to say I wasn't disappointed. Some people couldn't understand Robert venturing into this area but I wasn't surprised at all. He's always been influenced by roots music.

Me too! I must say it's refreshing to hear someone speak entusiastically about Robert's journey with roots music. The majority just seem to winge on about not getting a Zeppelin tour. Most of them weren't even born yet. It's funny. You're a New Yorker and I'm from sunny Southern California, yet we comprehend an Englishman's love of the American South and embrace it. Go figure! :lol:

Me too! I must say it's refreshing to hear someone speak entusiastically about Robert's journey with roots music. The majority just seem to winge on about not getting a Zeppelin tour. Most of them weren't even born yet. It's funny. You're a New Yorker and I'm from sunny Southern California, yet we comprehend an Englishman's love of the American South and embrace it. Go figure! :lol:

:lol::beer: That is funny!

I'm all for musicians going in unexpected directions. That to me is what music is all about. Exploring endless possibilities. I think in part Robert has been able to sustain a successful career because he isn't rehashing what he's done. He may use it as a stepping stone but it's all about where the next uncharted road is.

I'm in the same boat. I've been a long time Deadhead (toured from 84-95 off and on near the end after my first two children). I've always been a musician as well ( http://www.myspace.com/dcmuir ) and thought it was important to know the roots of our music including as many folky genres including bluegrass etc (played in a bluegrass band actually), blues, celtic, etc etc.....

The only thing that surprises me is that Robert says he had no exposure to this music before. I know it's very 'white' compared to what originally inspired him but I thought he must have heard it and just not been moved-but apparently he actually never really heard it at all.

Maybe him and Alison can do some Old and in the Way stuff (even that song)....or some other Peter Rowan songs-or dare I say it-Friend of the Devil or some other rootsy Grateful Dead songs.....I've wondered how much Robert has been exposed to the Dead scene as every now and then he espouses certain ideas that seem to directly come from them. It could be just the whole 'great minds think alike' deal.....

...anyway it's a match made in heaven for me too and I didn't see it coming at all. I didn't hear about it until after the album was out and thought 'I can't picture this....I gotta check it out'.....of course I love the album and will hopefully catch their act soon.

...ooh a good Know you Rider wouldn't surprise me actually being a trad and all......

I gotta testify! Robert and Alison on I know You Rider? Oh fucking yum! That would surely get my fat ass dancing in the isles!

Gonna miss your baby from rollin in your arms!

Damn, I can hear it plain as day!!!! No shit! It fits like a glove!

I'm back from Stockholm, where Plant & Krauss performed on Friday. It was a fantastic show, they were both magnificent! And the band was great too.

I strongly recommend, go to see them, you won't be disappointed. I would love to see them again.

The whole atmosphere was magical, scent of incentives filled the air. Set list was pretty much the same as in Dusseldorf, three Zep songs and In the mood. Alison is incredible, her voice is not from this world, it is so beautiful, almost unreal. And she is beautiful, like an angel really.It must be wonderful to be able to sing like that. Robert was great as always, he was funny and playful and significantly loved playing with these guys. It was very clear that they all had absolutely great time together. For me the highlight was when Robert sang Black Country Woman, it was a very emotional moment.

As in every concert there were couple of jerks yelling something stupid but Robert pretty much ignored them. One guy yelled constantly: Robert one more time.

The supporting act was interesting but I didn't catch their name, three guys playing acoustic. Does anyone know who they were?

All in all, it was lovely night. Now go and buy the tickets!!

That was beautiful. I never have listened to a lot of her music, but Alison has a wonderful voice. I didn't think Raising Sand was going to be all that great, but I was totally wrong. I love it. I have it on cd and on vinyl, I listened to both, and it sounds much better on vinyl. It adds to the warmth of the album. I wanted to see the concerts too, I expect it to sound just like the album and be done. I didn't expect Robert to put on the show with the music constantly changing like it did in Zep. Once again, I was wrong. The music moved, and evolved. There were more songs than on the album, and the show was great.

I'm back from Stockholm, where Plant & Krauss performed on Friday. It was a fantastic show, they were both magnificent! And the band was great too.

I strongly recommend, go to see them, you won't be disappointed. I would love to see them again.

The whole atmosphere was magical, scent of incentives filled the air. Set list was pretty much the same as in Dusseldorf, three Zep songs and In the mood. Alison is incredible, her voice is not from this world, it is so beautiful, almost unreal. And she is beautiful, like an angel really.It must be wonderful to be able to sing like that. Robert was great as always, he was funny and playful and significantly loved playing with these guys. It was very clear that they all had absolutely great time together. For me the highlight was when Robert sang Black Country Woman, it was a very emotional moment.

As in every concert there were couple of jerks yelling something stupid but Robert pretty much ignored them. One guy yelled constantly: Robert one more time.

The supporting act was interesting but I didn't catch their name, three guys playing acoustic. Does anyone know who they were?

The support act is Scott Matthews, nice set B)

My 4th show comes up on Thursday and I will be meeting up with quite a few people from here and other forums. :D

Edited by ledded1

Excellent! I can't wait to see them. I've heard a couple of live recordings that sound fantastic but it's always a different experience to actually be there. I'm also looking forward to Scott Matthews (opener). I absolutely love his CD.

Thanks ninelives and ledded, I have to buy Scott Matthews cd. He said that he is from Wolverhampton. I hadn't heard about him before.

Ledded, lucky you!!! I really would love to see them again. I'll go to L.A in the end of July but as we all know they will perfom there in June. :(

Thanks ninelives and ledded, I have to buy Scott Matthews cd. He said that he is from Wolverhampton. I hadn't heard about him before.

Ledded, lucky you!!! I really would love to see them again. I'll go to L.A in the end of July but as we all know they will perfom there in June. :(

June 24th at the Greek. Wish you could be there. :console:

Patio.jpg

It's a great show. It was also my first concert. They sound great, and he looks great. Much better than in pictures, looks a lot younger. (Not that he looks "old" in pictures.)

What a great first concert for you to go to :D I can't wait to see this tour!

It was. I'm thrilled that I got to see it. I'd love to see it again, but I can't because no one will drive and I can't drive yet. It was worth every penny spent on tickets and extras at the show.

June 24th at the Greek. Wish you could be there. :console:

I'm going to both of the Greek shows...can't wait. Have you seen the Youtube

clips of them doing Battle of Evermore?

And I can't be bothered with the clowns who have whined about the Plant/Krauss

collaboration...it's their loss if they don't get it.

Stop moaning about a Zep reunion tour and be happy we got a great O2 gig

at least.

What is really galling is some of the sexist and profane comments some so-called

Zeppelin fans have directed towards Alison Krauss, who is an artist deserving of

respect in her own right.

I'm also a huge fan of roots music dating back to Hank Williams, Sr., Johnny Cash, the Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan and the Band on up until the present day with artists such as John Prine (who has also covered Killin' the Blues), Iris Dement and what has come to be known as "alt.country" music (aka Americana, Y'allternative, No Depression) etc. In fact, No Depression magazine's artist of the decade is also on this tour, the incomparable Buddy Miller (who I first saw in concert at MerleFest as Emmylou Harris' guitarist in Spyboy). Needless to say, Raising Sand is right up my alley. My girlfriend and I recently scored tickets to their upcoming show in Raleigh and can't wait for it to get here.

75.jpg

The very last issue of No Depression with Buddy Miller gracing the cover

Yes, there is a LOT of new 'country' music that is fantastic....just not the stuff made by the pretty faces that get all the press (well some are pretty like Alison-but I think you know what I mean)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Du5FguDSzE...feature=related

...it's not that new but what the heck....

Edited by pop