Black Crowes Enlist For 'War' On New Album

Jahfin

I don't know all the ins and outs but apparently he has a long and storied history with drug abuse, one can only guess but that's most likely what lead to his most recent falling out with the Robinson brothers and him being ousted from the band (again).

Drugs or not, I thought I heard Marc Ford quit the Crowes in 2005-06 via fax...

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...he-black-crowes

In the Studio: The Black Crowes

17943461-17943464-slarge.jpg

“It’s about freedom, and what revolution used to stand for, how you’ve got to make one of your own and make it last,” singer Chris Robinson of the Black Crowes shouts as the brawling guitars of “Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution,” the opening song on the Crowes’ first studio album since Lions in 2001, boom through the stereo speakers in a friend’s apartment in Brooklyn. “It’s like the last line of the song,” Robinson says, then singing along to himself on the record, “Don’t you want to see the ship go down with me?”

That fighting spirit is a running theme in Warpaint, to be released on March 4th on the Crowes’ own Silver Arrow label. The album features ten new originals, written by Chris and his guitarist brother, Rich, including the heavy-blues march “Walk Believer Walk,” the midtempo bruiser “We Who See the Deep,” a country-soul ballad, “There’s Gold in Them Hills,” and the closing raga- flavored hymn, “Whoa Mule,” with Chris declaring, “We’re dirty but we’re dreamin’, ” in a field of harmonium, slide guitar, harmonica and hand drumming. Warpaint also comes with holy rollin’ — a raucous cover of “God’s Got It,” written and recorded in the Seventies by Louisiana guitarist-preacher Rev. Charlie Jackson.

According to Chris, Warpaint is the complete package of the Georgia-born Crowes’ passions and influences — the Delta blues, Dixie soul and early-Seventies classic rock that immediately marked them as determined purists on their 1990 hit debut, Shake Your Moneymaker. “It’s got all the roots,” he says as Warpaint plays — loudly — behind him. “But it’s also got a psychedelic feel,” he adds. The Day-Glo country ballad “Oh Josephine” is, Chris says, “one of the best things Rich and I have ever written.” But at the end, it veers into a long finale of exultant, battling guitars, played by Rich and Luther Dickinson of the North Mississippi Allstars, who has officially joined the Crowes with this album. “Hey, we’re the Black Crowes,” Chris says with a smile poking through his gold-rush-miner beard. “We gotta tack on a three-minute coda.”

Warpaint, the Crowes’ seventh studio album, has been an unusually long time coming. In 2002, the band — exhausted by a decade of touring, record-label politics and the Robinsons’ own notorious, combative relationship — went on open-ended hiatus, during which Chris and Rich each pursued solo careers. The brothers restarted the Crowes in 2005 but stuck to live work until last July, when they recorded Warpaint with Dickinson, bassist Sven Pipien and original drummer Steve Gorman in a studio in Woodstock, New York. The Crowes cut the songs live in the studio in just three weeks and in as few takes as possible, with minimal overdubbing. The voodoo rock of “Evergreen” was caught in a single take, and “Whoa Mule” was actually cut outdoors. “You can hear the birds,” Chris points out.

The incandescent tangle of Rich and Dickinson’s guitars on Warpaint was, Chris claims, inevitable: “We’ve known the guys in the North Mississippi Allstars for a long time.” But after Rich and Dickinson debuted their side project, Circle Sound, a covers-jam band, in early 2007, the Robinsons decided to make Dickinson a Crowe for real. “Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do,” Chris says, laughing. Meanwhile, the Allstars, founded by Dickinson and his drummer brother, Cody, release their own new album, Hernando, on January 22nd.

The Crowes are so proud of Warpaint that they will play the record in its entirety every night during a run of shows in March. Chris points out that the originals are truly new, too — all written shortly before the Woodstock sessions, with no riffs or hooks left over from the past few years. “I didn’t want any of that,” Chris says. “I wanted to show people where we are now.”

[Photo: Matthew Mendenhall]

David Fricke

The article makes the new album sound good.Hope it rocks and shakes.

No offense but is there really any need in quoting the entire post?

Does that bother you?To be honest I am not familiar with how the editing of a post works.I was on another forum where you had to quote the entire post,so I plead ignorance.but rather than offend you maybe you could give me a pointer on the how to.My computer skills are limited,In my line of work never had to use them much.

Does that bother you?To be honest I am not familiar with how the editing of a post works.I was on another forum where you had to quote the entire post,so I plead ignorance.but rather than offend you maybe you could give me a pointer on the how to.My computer skills are limited,In my line of work never had to use them much.

When you hold your cursor over the REPLY button you should get a pop-up saying "Reply Directly To This Post". That allows you to quote someone. There's a nother Reply button below that which won't quote the post.

It's no biggie but it is sort of a pet peeve of mine when it comes to boards. I can understand quoting a specific passage or whatever to make a point but have never understood the point in quoting the entire thing (I'm referring to articles here). I also understand the rigors of learning the ends and outs of messageboards for the first time. It took me a while to get the hang of it myself. The different features will come to you, just give it some time and most of all, don't be afraid to ask for help.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003714973

'War' Comes Naturally For Black Crowes

robinson_chris_rich_01l.gif

The Black Crowes

Gary Graff, Detroit

Black Crowes frontman Chris Robinson says the group's decision to play "Warpaint," its first album in seven years, in its entirety at upcoming shows reflects the way the band feels about it.

"We want this album and we want these songs to have a little space and time on their own before they get mashed up into ... all the other material we play," the singer explains to Billboard.com about the One Night Only tour, which begins Sunday (March 2) in Sayreville, N.J. "I don't think we've ever been in such a place where everyone's so excited to get to rehearsal to start playing stuff [and] really get into a groove."

Following a three-year hiatus, the Crowes have been back together since 2005 but have focused almost entirely on live work. Robinson says the time allowed the group to get itself back into shape and find the right lineup -- including North Mississippi Allstars guitarist Luther Dickinson and keyboardist Adam MacDougall.

"I feel the band has been very good the last few years, even with all the changes and things," Robinson notes. "We've done a lot of different things, really opened it up, played a lot of catalog, played a lot of covers. We've hit a lot of things musically that I think were interesting for us.

"So the way I look at it, really, what makes ('Warpaint') so vibrant is we found our way to this music as opposed to trying to make something happen when it just wouldn't have been right," he continues.

The Crowes are releasing "Warpaint" on their own imprint, Silver Arrow Records, though Robinson says there was definitely label interest once the band started working again.

"Here we are enjoying all this success and freedom, and they come sniffing around again," Robinson recalls. "They want some money and want to tell you what to do, instantly -- 'You guys could get some writers and do this and that.' And we're like, 'Whoa, man. Whoa!' We've always talked about (their own label) and doing something different for us and our little commune here. So here we are. It was the most enjoyable experience ever putting this record together because of that kind of freedom and independence."

Just picked up 'Warpaint' At circuit city in Union Square. 10 bucks. Virgin (Union Square) was 14 dollars. Fucking Virgin, I hope that store goes out of business.

Sounds like a solid, laid-back Southern album. Which is good, but Don't expect a Marc Ford/ Eddie Harsch sound.

I could have used a more rockin' album, but they can do that with the next one...

THE BLACK CROWES' new album, "Warpaint", has sold 46,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 5 on The Billboard 200 chart. The CD was issued via the band's own newly formed label Silver Arrow Records through Megaforce/Sony Red BMG. "Warpaint" is also available as a limited-edition vinyl package.

THE BLACK CROWES' video for "Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution" can be viewed on YouTube.

THE BLACK CROWES' new album, "Warpaint", has sold 46,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 5 on The Billboard 200 chart. The CD was issued via the band's own newly formed label Silver Arrow Records through Megaforce/Sony Red BMG. "Warpaint" is also available as a limited-edition vinyl package.

THE BLACK CROWES' video for "Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution" can be viewed on YouTube.

46,000? That kinda blows. But I guess by todays standards, that is a pretty good number.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

ANNOUNCING LIVEBLACKCROWES.COM

Category: Music

THE BLACK CROWES

TO RELEASE LIVE AND ARCHIVED RECORDINGS

AND FREE MP3’S TO THE FIRST 10,000 TO REGISTER ON

LIVEBLACKCROWES.COM

With the release of their first studio album in seven years, "Warpaint," The Black Crowes announce there will be more music to come.

The Black Crowes are one of the few bands that have allowed their fans to tape record their live concerts and have encouraged taping and trading since their 1990 multi-platinum release, "Shake Your Moneymaker."

Now, the band will lend a helping hand by making their own live recordings available of shows performed in 2008 as well as other previously unreleased live and archived material from their past. The Black Crowes continue to welcome fan taping.

The Black Crowes have partnered with nugs.net, the leader in band-to-fan distribution, to release live recordings of their upcoming tour 2008 on LiveBlackCrowes.com.

*** Starting March 31, the first 10,000 fans to register at LiveBlackCrowes.com will receive free MP3 downloads culled from the band’s intimate "One Night Only" shows this month. ***

* Every concert will be available within 96 hours of the performance (International shows may take up to one week before being made available)

* Full concert downloads in MP3 and true CD quality FLAC formats

* Each show also available on CD with custom artwork for each show

* CD+MP3 bundles of each show where fans can download the MP3 right away and get the CDs in the mail

* Nugs.net powers the band-to-fan services for hundreds of artists, including Metallica, Phish, Dave Matthews, the Grateful Dead, and festivals like Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, and Austin City Limits Music Festival. Nugs.net has served over 50 million paid downloads in DRM-free fan-friendly MP3 and FLAC formats.

LIVEBLACKCROWES.COM will make available the upcoming shows in Australia and New Zealand as well as shows in London and Amsterdam. (Some International and US shows may not be available due to venue restrictions.)

• 1 month later...

Archived