Free Riverside Concerts (Rochester, NY)

Desperado

For anyone that is interested, Dicky Betts, Molly Hatchet, Eddy, Money and others will be playing in Rochester, NY in the summer concert series Riverside. The concerts are FREE. I just saw Marshall Tucker here for Free at the Lilac Fest. The concerts are in June. About 3 weeks away so if anyone is in ther area it should be worth seeing.

Other than Dickey, I'd say the concerts are free for a reason (then again I've read they he's been playing the same exact setlist for several years now). As for Hatchet, I think there's only one original member in the band (same for Tucker). For years they toured with no original members. Like I said, it's free for a reason...

Other than Dickey, I'd say the concerts are free for a reason (then again I've read they he's been playing the same exact setlist for several years now). As for Hatchet, I think there's only one original member in the band (same for Tucker). For years they toured with no original members. Like I said, it's free for a reason...

Perhaps so. But Bets is Betts. And Ill tell you, Marshall Tucker was damn good. the only one that wasnt damn good unfortunatley was the lead singer Doug Gray as he was quite trashed on Whiskey and made no denials about it. But the Flute/Sax player, Muse, was just incredible. So was Hicks. Well worth seeing for FREE. I wonder which Molly Hatchet member is the original? The singer? I love the song Dreams Ill Never See. Love Jessica by Dicky and In Memory of Elizabeth Reed.

Evidentally, many of these "reunited" southern rock groups utilize a revolving cast of musicians. Looking at the Tucker website, there are recent and past members that have played in similar style name brand groups. So you should at least be getting some professional level of talent worth checking out, considering the ticket cost (none). When I saw Tucker last year, they did offer apologies for the flute player just learning some songs, as it probably was for some of the other members too, and Doug's voice problems from recent surgery. The free concerts we have are very closeby, on the water, and no problem bringing chairs, blankets, coolers, etc. I would say the biggest problem is the audience these things attract - whole families of restless kids and yentas on cell phones.

Perhaps so. But Bets is Betts. And Ill tell you, Marshall Tucker was damn good. the only one that wasnt damn good unfortunatley was the lead singer Doug Gray as he was quite trashed on Whiskey and made no denials about it. But the Flute/Sax player, Muse, was just incredible. So was Hicks. Well worth seeing for FREE. I wonder which Molly Hatchet member is the original? The singer? I love the song Dreams Ill Never See. Love Jessica by Dicky and In Memory of Elizabeth Reed.

I'm sure Dickey Betts will be worth seeing, I'm just not too fond of artists that play the exact same setlist night in and night out (apparently Dickey's been doing the same one for several tours now).

Molly Hatchet's original lead singer, Danny Joe Brown died several years ago. The only original member currently in the band is guitarist Dave Hlubek.

The only original member of the Marshall Tucker Band is Gray. They played my area not too long ago but I'll be damned if I was going to pay $30 to see what is essentially a cover band, I don't care how good they supposedly are. They should have retired the name when Toy Caldwell died.

Blackfoot has also toured in recent years without Rickey Medlocke (who's now in the band that refers to themselves as Lynyrd Skynyrd). No Medlocke, no Blackfoot. I feel the same way about Foghat who continue to tour despite the death of "Lonesome" Dave Peverett (guitarist Rod Price also passed away a few years ago). No "Lonesome" Dave, no Foghat. Again, that's why so many of those nostalgia shows are free. Sometimes (as in the case of Molly Hatchet a few years ago) there's not even one original member of the band in the lineup. I don't wanna see that, even for free as it's nothing more than a cover band cashing in on the name. That's not only a rip-off to fans who think they're seeing the real thing but is an insult to the memory of the original band members.

I'm sure Dickey Betts will be worth seeing, I'm just not too fond of artists that play the exact same setlist night in and night out (apparently Dickey's been doing the same one for several tours now).

Molly Hatchet's original lead singer, Danny Joe Brown died several years ago. The only original member currently in the band is guitarist Dave Hlubek.

The only original member of the Marshall Tucker Band is Gray. They played my area not too long ago but I'll be damned if I was going to pay $30 to see what is essentially a cover band, I don't care how good they supposedly are. They should have retired the name when Toy Caldwell died.

Blackfoot has also toured in recent years without Rickey Medlocke (who's now in the band that refers to themselves as Lynyrd Skynyrd). No Medlocke, no Blackfoot. I feel the same way about Foghat who continue to tour despite the death of "Lonesome" Dave Peverett (guitarist Rod Price also passed away a few years ago). No "Lonesome" Dave, no Foghat. Again, that's why so many of those nostalgia shows are free. Sometimes (as in the case of Molly Hatchet a few years ago) there's not even one original member of the band in the lineup. I don't wanna see that, even for free as it's nothing more than a cover band cashing in on the name. That's not only a rip-off to fans who think they're seeing the real thing but is an insult to the memory of the original band members.

I agree with what you are saying. Truly. I just wanted to say how impresed I was with some of Marshall 'Tuckers members. They of course payed homage to the Cauldwell bros. Ill tell you one thing though, this guy Dave Muse on Flute and Sax is worth seeeing. He is just faboulous. And their version of Take the Highway was flawless. so for free on a hot summer afternoon, why the hell not?

I guess it's a tough call, regarding certain bands that have changed members but still want to use the original name. As in this forum, where a suprising number of people think that a Zep reunion that includes Jason is in no way Led Zeppelin. I understand the honor aspect in it, and sometimes it is seedy to see an essentially cover band using a name most of them didn't form. We do have official forum sites now, where we can get information on the latest band members - so no one should be fooled before considering a show. I'd rather see a questionable original band for free, than see a pure cover band or unfamilar band for a door fee. Maybe my wallet has control over my ethics, on this issue. In many cases, if you like the older groups the best, there's little choice when musicians are dead, retired, or moved on to other things.

We do have official forum sites now, where we can get information on the latest band members - so no one should be fooled before considering a show. I'd rather see a questionable original band for free, than see a pure cover band or unfamilar band for a door fee. Maybe my wallet has control over my ethics, on this issue.

Thing is, I believe when groups like the Marshall Tucker Band, Hatchet, Blackfoot, etc. roll into town most folks could give a shit about the line up so it probably never even crosses their minds. They just wanna see the band they've heard played to death on Classic Rock radio. The more hardcore fans might actually go to the trouble of checking but I'm guessing that would be about it. From there they can make an informed decision. Speaking for myself, I'm not forking over $30 or more (especially at a club) to see a shadow of what once was.

In many cases, if you like the older groups the best, there's little choice when musicians are dead, retired, or moved on to other things.

I believe the case is, most artists find that they're going to get more recognition if they stick with a well known band name rather than going solo. In Molly Hatchet's case, when they were touring with NO original members, I just think that is wrong. On the other hand, there's many older groups who have been playing the nostalgia circuit for years with no original members. Gene Simmons even plans for Kiss to go on with replacement members (like he's already done with Frehley and Criss) once he and Stanley retire.

I guess most towns have those Downtown Live things were washed up bands go to die. In recent years we've had Night Ranger, Foghat, Arrested Development and many others here. One of them on the lineup this year is Brian Howe "singing the hits of Bad Company". I'm sure there's somebody out there that wants to see that shit but it sure as hell isn't me (even for free).

Another thing that amazes me is the number of Who fans here that seem to have no problem with only two members still calling themselves the Who. I always thought of the Entwistle and Moon as the standout members (I won't give my assessment of Townshend here), and don't see this as appropriate. I'm sure they still get top dollar for their shows, but you won't see me paying for that.

Anyway, I will still be checking the free offerings, for all the reasons I've already given. Last year the town had Kansas, with at least three original members - and they were quite good all around.

I never saw the Who in their heyday but I was fortunate enough to see them on the Quadrophenia anniversary tour back in the 90s before Entwistle passed. Having seen them in concert (even in that configuration) was satisfying enough for me because, even though I've never been a huge fan, I have always wanted to see them in concert. To me, they are that rare breed like the Beatles, Zeppelin, R.E.M. (or plenty of others) where if you take just one person away, it's not quite the same. I'm not sure of your opinion of Townsend but I always figured him to be an extremely integral part of the group.

Well let's see free Dickey Betts concert or sit home and twidle thumbs.I guess I would go to the concert.

I have discovered most of the bands I like have Retired or Dead members so you have to sacrafice a little quality it is unfortunate .But its all good have a beer or Two and Rock on

Well let's see free Dickey Betts concert or sit home and twidle thumbs.I guess I would go to the concert.

I have discovered most of the bands I like have Retired or Dead members so you have to sacrafice a little quality it is unfortunate .But its all good have a beer or Two and Rock on

Like I said, I don't have a problem with seeing Dickey Betts (for free or otherwise) other than the identical setlists. It's the bands touring with little or no original members that I could give a shit about seeing (even for free). There's plenty of other artists out there to see, not just the ones I grew up listening to in the 70s. For instance, I would rather keep my memories of Foghat intact rather than seeing a half-baked version that doesn't even include "Lonesome" Dave. Some artists know when to hang it up and give it a rest, others will keep touring trying to milk every last dime out of it. I don't really have any interest in seeing those.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with seeing Dickey Betts (for free or otherwise) other than the identical setlists. It's the bands touring with little or no original members that I could give a shit about seeing (even for free). There's plenty of other artists out there to see, not just the ones I grew up listening to in the 70s. For instance, I would rather keep my memories of Foghat intact rather than seeing a half-baked version that doesn't even include "Lonesome" Dave. Some artists know when to hang it up and give it a rest, others will keep touring trying to milk every last dime out of it. I don't really have any interest in seeing those.

I agree on Foghat last show I saw was 98 in Baton Rouge in the Texas Club verry small venue free tickets general admission I was in the front all the originals awesome show since lonesome Dave is gone its not the same.

Gotta agree there. Back in the 80's when I was playing in bar bands, we used to open up for bands such as Black Oak Arkansas, Steppenwolf and Rare Earth. These groups would have one or two original members and sucked big time. In fact, Steppenwolf had only Goldie McJohn from the original lineup. These shows weren't free either, so most people were dissapointed as hell. About 3-4 summers ago, I saw Eddie Money at an outdoor free concert in Pontiac, MI. He actually kicked ass.

Archived