Telecaster Fan Club

Sorry all Les Paul and Stratocaster owners but I noticed that many of the people on the forum own Teles and Im lucky enough to own one of them so here is a Tele appreciation and tip thread. Share tips, tricks, and stories of playing the Tele here. On my tele I seem to get the best sounds when the tone knob is not all the way locked in place or full ( on my 04 tele the tone knob sorta slides and locks when turned all the way up) Also I am thinking about putting a bigsby tremelo arm on it and I was wondering if any one has done it before and if they liked it or not. Also what was Jimmys amp and effects set up when he was playing the tele, ive seen one the Zep dvds that he was using Marshalls, but did he every use anything else when he was in Zep and the Yardbirds?

I have a strat and a tele. You can get a great clean sound out of a tele that can sound very good played through a stereo chorus pedal through a good amp or two. It can sparkle in a way you cannot duplicate with a strat. Obviously you will never find a better Country guitar to give you that bright, sweet, twang. Newbies might not know the S.T.H. solo was played with the tele. I usually use the middle position on my three-way pickup switch. Sometimes it is easier to cut through the mix with a tele, and if you want a country, or country-rock sound, look no further. Paradoxically, punk and metal dudes still play the tele.

As far as the tremolo deal, I think there is a "John 5" Telecaster available with a tremolo, but I don't know how it sounds.

I had an american tele. Very unforgiving guitar. Actually demoralized me cause I was used to heavily laminated sludgy budget humbucker guitars that hide mistakes. So i sold it for a cheapy bronze series bc rich warlock and spent the difference booze and hookers* ...because well.....i play punk rawk....LOLOLL!!!L!.....and such.

*possibly untrue.

I've got two ASATs and I love 'em!

My 'Tribute' model

DSCF0002.jpg

And my fancy schmancy custom shop "ASAT Jr" which is a hybrid of an ASAT and a Les Paul Jr

DSCF0007.jpg

I've used a Telecaster (amongst other guitars) for the past 14 years, and although something of a a struggle to get to grips with it initially, it's a superb sounding instrument, These guitars have a distinctive voice, and are irreplaceable in some styles of music. Incidentally, it's the only guitar I can tolerate that has a maple neck. Again, this is a design that Fender got right at the first time of trying.

RB

It's funny, I've owned friggin everything at one time or another, but I'll always have a sweet spot in my heart for my Frankentele. It's an '88. I dropped a stacked Duncan in the bridge and Quarter Pound Tele in the neck. And I removed the tone knob and changed the selector to a regular Les Paul toggle switch, which I put in the tone pot's space, because I kept bending the Fender unit, which goes north-south instead of east-west. I like up and down, and could never flick it quickly between the volume and tone knobs without tweaking it. That sucker was my workhorse for everything for years!

Page Tele sound? A Sola Sound Tonebender fuzz through a Supro Supreme. Either of these items would be ridiculously expensive today though. I have a Fulltone Soulbender www.fulltone.com, and the first time I plugged it into my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe I nearly shit myself! There it was! I put on Dazed and Confused from the first album and played along. The sound during the solo was spot on! It sounded even better through a vintage Champ. They're pricey (about $180 bucks street), but if that first album, BBC Sessions, pre-Whole Lotta Love-Marshall-Les Paul sound is what you're after, you can't go wrong with the Soulbender. It's basically a handwired remake (and way more reliable) version of the original Tonebender II. Great stuff!

As always, Ev, you've been quite helpful on my quest for "electricity"...

Being an acoustic player since I've started to learn guitar, I'm starting, for the last year, to play electric guitar seriously.

I think I'll buy a Tele, along with my sacred "Godin Mtl"...

:beer:

^^You're welcome! Did I also mention that my Tele (which was originally a pukey baby vomit yellow) was sprayed in a body shop with Ford Mustang Blue? :hysterical:

What can I say? I didn't cost nuthin!!! :D

She ain't the prettiest ship in the harbor, lol! A couple years ago, I replaced the chrome, the bridge and all the hardware and added a mirror pickguard. If you look close, you can see the Les Paul toggle switch where the tone knob was, and the empty slot where the stock one should be, and the hefty chrome volume knob. You can also see a Jerry Garcia handprint sticker covering the area where my forearm wore off the finish.

EvTele.jpg

And I removed the tone knob and changed the selector to a regular Les Paul toggle switch, which I put in the tone pot's space, because I kept bending the Fender unit, which goes north-south instead of east-west. I like up and down, and could never flick it quickly between the volume and tone knobs without tweaking it. That sucker was my workhorse for everything for years!

That's similar to how my ASAT Jr is wired, LP style toggle and I had Volume/tone, but I rewired it for a volume knob for each pickup.

That Mustang Blue is cool dude!

Page Tele sound? A Sola Sound Tonebender fuzz through a Supro Supreme. Either of these items would be ridiculously expensive today though. I have a Fulltone Soulbender www.fulltone.com, and the first time I plugged it into my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe I nearly shit myself! There it was! I put on Dazed and Confused from the first album and played along. The sound during the solo was spot on! It sounded even better through a vintage Champ. They're pricey (about $180 bucks street), but if that first album, BBC Sessions, pre-Whole Lotta Love-Marshall-Les Paul sound is what you're after, you can't go wrong with the Soulbender. It's basically a handwired remake (and way more reliable) version of the original Tonebender II. Great stuff!

Thanks for the review on that, I used a Fulldrive (??) a buddy loaned me. I hear Fulltone is getting ready to do a version of the Echoplex EP3 that will street for @$5-600, I'm saving my pennies for that!

Thanks for the review on that, I used a Fulldrive (??) a buddy loaned me. I hear Fulltone is getting ready to do a version of the Echoplex EP3 that will street for @$5-600, I'm saving my pennies for that!

You're welcome. I know Fulltone has had a really nice tape echo for awhile, but man, it's like over a grand. If they've got one coming out for half that, my left testicle might go back on ebay! :lol:

Yeah, i hear that. The Tube Tape Echo is $1,200!!! Too rich for my blood plus the EP3 sound is more what I'm after and at $500ish it might be bearable (I'm really cheap)

If your into pedals there's a guy in Australia that's building a pedal that's the pre section of an EP3 you can check it out here Clinch Effects

And the discussion thread with reviews here at the metro amp forum Metro Amp Forum

Thanks for the links! Truly! I'm intrigued, but alas, I'm kind of in a condense down to what you absolutely need period. Know what I mean? :lol:

Absolutely dude, at this point my summer will probably be straight into my amp. Unless I get my vox wha working...

Archived