Song Remains the Same spoken intro

Roger

Hey Ev,

From Wearing and Tearing, seems apt!

Hey Reg!

Yeah. It's a shame when a lyric gets taken out of context.

And then you ask for medication. Who cares for medication when you've worn away the cure?

Kinda takes on a different meaning when you read it as a sentence, doesn't it? Not too apt a quote for promoting drug taking.

This would hardly be the APT place for a personal attack. Especially when it's utter bullshit. I live near LA, so what if I were be a Laker fan? By your logic, as Kobe Bryant was accused of rape, having his picture in my sig would make me an advocate of rapists. It doesn't add up to anything more than you looking for any excuse, however ridiculous, to attack another person on the board. "Underlying messages"? Bullshit.

Oh, and "Who cares for medication" is a Zeppelin lyric.

That's an odd thing to say regarding someone's response to a photo depicting flagrant personal attack.

As for underlying messages, well, what's the relationship of a great soccer player getting punched in the face to the Zeppelin forums? Seems to me there's some kind of underlying message in there. Maybe an inside joke? Whatever, no big deal. But please, don't insult people's native intelligence on top of it.

BTW, thank you Knebby for making your utterly innocent personal choice of unapt (?) soccer mayhem smaller.

Hey Reg!

Yeah. It's a shame when a lyric gets taken out of context.

And then you ask for medication. Who cares for medication when you've worn away the cure?

Kinda takes on a different meaning when you read it as a sentence, doesn't it? Not too apt a quote for promoting drug taking.

Problem is the lyric in the sig is outside of any apparent context. So people may read whatever they wish into it. Of course, the photo beneath it might make some folks wonder what context the little snippet of lyric has in relation... what's the cure? What's the medication? Why do we need medication or a cure? What's the illness that needs treating?

OTOH, as Hotplant might say: :coffee:

The point is that the attack in her sig was made against, not by, a member of Newcastle's Football Club. As Knebby is a diehard fan of that club, I would think it would be more a reference to the local news of her team, not an advocation of violence. And while her sig quote can be taken in a myriad of ways, I'll leave it to her to clarify its significance, if she can be bothered. But underlying messages? I know Knebby, and she has no such messages. No such agenda. If anything, she's so wearied of the scrutiny she gets here, that she's beside herself with frustration. She does however have a wonderful teenager, who at times could be a handful. But by no means is she being groomed to take drugs or engage in violent behavior.

Point is, lots of people have all manner of things in their sigs. Aleister Crowley, Baphomet, Richard Ramirez, Clockwork Orange. People with screen names that are overtly evil. Yet no one calls them out for it. I found this reference to Kneb's sig totally random and not at all related to the topic. So yes, I cried foul. I could only surmise it was personal, not observational.

I should add that the "Who cares for medication" quote was there long before that photo was added. The pic's a recent change based on the football news. She follows the football with passion, so the incident is relevant to her. It's part of who she is. I've seen many different sigs of hers over the years, and I never saw an agenda or a message.

Amazing isn't it Ev- all the people here with sigs that are personal to them for whatever reason, but its me getting asked to "explain" mine?

There is no underlying message or inside joke . It is my personal choice as I already stated.

I think the "underlying message" is more in you asking ME to explain and not going after anyone else for the same reasons - yet I have handled that completely peacefuly and as you pointed out even shrunk the pic WITHOUT being asked, for the sake of keeping people happy around here.

Now give it a bloody rest please. :rolleyes:

The point is that the attack in her sig was made against, not by, a member of Newcastle's Football Club. As Knebby is a diehard fan of that club, I would think it would be more a reference to the local news of her team, not an advocation of violence. And while her sig quote can be taken in a myriad of ways, I'll leave it to her to clarify its significance, if she can be bothered. But underlying messages? I know Knebby, and she has no such messages. No such agenda. If anything, she's so wearied of the scrutiny she gets here, that she's beside herself with frustration. She does however have a wonderful teenager, who at times could be a handful. But by no means is she being groomed to take drugs or engage in violent behavior.

I didn't think she was advocating either, just pointing out that without context, all sorts of meaning may be read into it.

The quote must mean something, or why post it? It seems you have to be a personal friend of Knebby's to understand most of what she posts. Can't you see how frustrating that gets for people? I will be open with whoever is on here, there's no "what is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow" riddles to answer correctly before you either see my other side, or are flung to your death (or punched in the nose), you know?

Point is, lots of people have all manner of things in their sigs. Aleister Crowley, Baphomet, Richard Ramirez, Clockwork Orange. People with screen names that are overtly evil. Yet no one calls them out for it. I found this reference to Kneb's sig totally random and not at all related to the topic. So yes, I cried foul. I could only surmise it was personal, not observational. I should add that the "Who cares for medication" quote was there long before that photo was added. The pic's a recent change based on the football news. She follows the football with passion, so the incident is relevant to her. It's part of who she is. I've seen many different sigs of hers over the years, and I never saw an agenda or a message.

Well, I have seen fun poked at other peoples' names and avatars and such, but that's beside the point.

Yes, I presumed Knebby identifies with Shearer. I assumed people into British soccer would be aware of the news story, may even know what brought on the unfortunate attack. (The man doing the punching must have been provoked by something.) But since I live in the US, others live in Russia and Australia and New Zealand, etc., and we're not all fans of soccer, no, I'm wasn't aware of the local context of the photo. So I view it in the context of the forum.

What is the relationship of getting punched out by an opposing team to Knebby's experiences on these boards? (Paging Dr. Freud...)

If you post on a public board, you are inviting public scrutiny, if not new friends. I took some care choosing an avatar, a sig, a picture and a quote, to represent my affections and interests. To say there is no underlying meaning behind them would be horse feathers.

I didn't think she was advocating either, just pointing out that without context, all sorts of meaning may be read into it.

The quote must mean something, or why post it? It seems you have to be a personal friend of Knebby's to understand most of what she posts. Can't you see how frustrating that gets for people?

No, I can't imagine why anyone would get so worked up about it.

And no. I personally don't know why she has the line from Wearing and Tearing in her sig.

And as for being a friend of hers being a requirement to understand most of what she posts, I've always enjoyed what she's shared. I didn't need a guidebook or a membership.

But again the question looms, why all this in this thread? Why the accusation that Knebby has cryptic messages in her sig advocating drug use and violence out of the complete blue in a thread about Robert's introduction to TSRTS, and if it's act or apt?? Why not just send her a pm and ask what significance it holds for her instead of derailing the thread with a random attack on someone's sig?

Surely that would be an apt approach. ;)

Because SunChild takes far more pleasure in going after me on the forums for any excuse she can come up with - I think that's pretty obvious by now.

Sorry that this is de-railed. I will now only answer any - strangely irrelevant- questions about my sig etc if they come to me via PM. I'll ignore anything else as I probably should have done from the beginning.

So we all agree Robert says "apt", and that's the end of it hopefuly.

Sorry that this is de-railed. I will now only answer any - strangely irrelevant- questions about my sig etc if they come to me via PM. I'll ignore anything else as I probably should have done from the beginning.

Well, technically it was I who cried foul, not you. At first, you just rolled your eyes, lol. I made the initial fuss, and I still want to know why this even came up here. I'm reading along, happy happy, and I run into this post like a speedreader into a bookmark. "What the hell's this all about?". I would dearly like to know. Why is Misty Mountain going on a rant about your sig? Why is any of this happening in a thread about Robert's intro to TSRTS? There was nothing leading up to it. I go back to my initial reaction: It must be a personal attack. And when a personal attack comes out of nowhere, totally at random, and derails a thread, then it's both inappropriate and a violation of forum guidelines.

Not that I've never done that, but I'm striving to improve! ;)

Amazing isn't it Ev- all the people here with sigs that are personal to them for whatever reason, but its me getting asked to "explain" mine?

There is no underlying message or inside joke . It is my personal choice as I already stated.

I think the "underlying message" is more in you asking ME to explain and not going after anyone else for the same reasons - yet I have handled that completely peacefuly and as you pointed out even shrunk the pic WITHOUT being asked, for the sake of keeping people happy around here.

Now give it a bloody rest please. :rolleyes:

I asked you because it wasn't clear why you chose what you have. It's rather cryptic and not exactly Zeppelin related. Other peoples' choices are more obvious. That's all.

It's personal? Well, duh. Mine are personal to me too. Should you ask me about them, I'll be glad to share, if not downright pleased to be asked. How is it that you figure what you post in public should not pique peoples' interest?

Frankly, there's a bit of hostility in some of what you post. For instance, here's a lovely anatomical study of a human hand. Now, I happen to be fascinated by orthopaedics - it appears it's a personal interest we share and can discuss, perhaps on a public forum?

12958947_125x125.jpg

How is it that you figure what you post in public should not pique peoples' interest?

In the appropriate (apt, still vaguely on topic) forum. The topic here isn't Knebby's sig, so why here? That's my whole point. It's the randomness. Why not simply post "Hey Knebby, what's your sig mean?" Instead of blasting off with that long post about "Underlying meanings" and "children under 18"? Why not ask the question first instead of presuming the answer in an accusatory manner? That's what I say is the foul. That's what makes it reek of a personal attack.

Well, technically it was I who cried foul, not you. At first, you just rolled your eyes, lol. I made the initial fuss, and I still want to know why this even came up here. I'm reading along, happy happy, and I run into this post like a speedreader into a bookmark. "What the hell's this all about?". I would dearly like to know. Why is Misty Mountain going on a rant about your sig? Why is any of this happening in a thread about Robert's intro to TSRTS? There was nothing leading up to it. I go back to my initial reaction: It must be a personal attack. And when a personal attack comes out of nowhere, totally at random, and derails a thread, then it's both inappropriate and a violation of forum guidelines.

Not that I've never done that, but I'm striving to improve! ;)

Let's start at the start. Who cares for medication? Well, I work at a hospital, I actually do care for medication. You know, when people shoot a nail into their eyeball, or break their spine, or have cancer, why, fuck me, medication is really useful, cures even better. So yeah I was bemused by Knebby's quote, and mildly curious what she might mean by it, so sue me. However, she has declined to state, therefore, I am free to read my own meaning into it.

Same with the photo. Now, it was not I who chose a signature pic of huge proportions showing an act of violence. But, my deepest apologies for thinking it was in any way meant to draw attention of any kind. Obviously I was mistaken. Sorry, it will not happen again.

Just for the record, you derailed the thread Evster, not I. Or are some people allowed to get worked up, and others not? (Gosh, thought we already had that fight...)

In the appropriate (apt, still vaguely on topic) forum. The topic here isn't Knebby's sig, so why here? That's my whole point. It's the randomness. Why not simply post "Hey Knebby, what's your sig mean?" Instead of blasting off with that long post about "Underlying meanings" and "children under 18"? Why not ask the question first instead of presuming the answer in an accusatory manner? That's what I say is the foul. That's what makes it reek of a personal attack.

A) I did ask Knebby what her sig meant. She said it was personal. I left it at that. See: Me Asking Knebby Very Politely What Her Sig Means

2) I never said one single word about children under 18. You have me confused with someone else.

Hey, I love that song, "start me up, I never stop"... good one... again, it appears we have something in common.

Edited because you cannot put the letter B in front of a right paranthesis without smiling.

Let's start at the start. Who cares for medication? Well, I work at a hospital, I actually do care for medication. You know, when people shoot a nail into their eyeball, or break their spine, or have cancer, why, fuck me, medication is really useful, cures even better. So yeah I was bemused by Knebby's quote, and mildly curious what she might mean by it, so sue me. However, she has declined to state, therefore, I am free to read my own meaning into it.

It's a freaking Zeppelin lyric, that's all. Jesus.

Same with the photo. Now, it was not I who chose a signature pic of huge proportions showing an act of violence. But, my deepest apologies for thinking it was in any way meant to draw attention of any kind. Obviously I was mistaken. Sorry, it will not happen again.

Just for the record, you derailed the thread Evster, not I. Or are some people allowed to get worked up, and others not? (Gosh, thought we already had that fight...)

A) I did ask Knebby what her sig meant. She said it was personal. I left it at that. See: Me Asking Knebby Very Politely What Her Sig Means

2) I never said one single word about children under 18. You have me confused with someone else.

Hey, I love that song, "start me up, I never stop"... good one... again, it appears we have something in common.

Edited because you cannot put the letter B in front of a right paranthesis without smiling.

Actually, my post that you say derailed the thread regarding children and such was directed at Misty Mountain, not you.

Namely this one:

I know that when someone who condones violence in sport as APT in a led zeppelin forum ;and the use of drugs /medication be it for recreation or pain relief in a forum where there is the possible younger fan (under the age of 18)who might find the whole idea of signatures with these messages "apt" behavior by your self .please let it be said "You" might think its cool with your underlying messages behind your posts .please tell that to some young fans parents when they go and recreate what they have seen from your signatures .violence and medication use "apt I think not.

It was this random rant at Knebby out of nowhere that I quoted asking WTF? My response to this post was where I entered this thread. So sue me. Evidently you thought I was directing my post at you. I wasn't involved in your discussion about the size or content of Knebby's sig. Frankly, I haven't been on here since last week, so I must have missed it. I just responded to this above quote coming out of right field. Nothing more. Sorry for the confusion.

It's a freaking Zeppelin lyric, that's all. Jesus.

I'm dazed and confused at how many more times we're gonna talk about what is and what should never be. This is a place for friends but in the light of the previous posts there seems to be some kind of comunication breakdown here. Or even a battle of evermore.

:rolleyes:

Oh, yes, I used the titles of some LZ songs because I have also some hidden message behind that post.

I wanted to say, what a lot of bullshit, but I think you figured it out. :);)

Well, I've often seen people ask other posters about their avatars and sigs within threads devoted to other topics, and it's never been a big deal, they simply get a reply from the person. Most of the Zep lyric quotes you find in people's sigs are pretty obvious choices for fans of the band, and you're never tempted to ask about them, but Knebby's isn't, whatever else you can say about it.

For some reason it made me think of an old interview, which had an odd comment from the person being interviewed. 'I've taken my medicine this morning', he said. But what do I know?

As for the topic, being Icelandic, I often had a hard time when I was a kid understanding Robert. And I remember thinking, 'an attoical, The Song Remains the Same' - WTF?! :lol: I figured it out years ago, yep, it's 'apt title'.

Well, I've often seen people ask other posters about their avatars and sigs within threads devoted to other topics, and it's never been a big deal, they simply get a reply from the person. Most of the Zep lyric quotes you find in people's sigs are pretty obvious choices for fans of the band, and you're never tempted to ask about them, but Knebby's isn't, whatever else you can say about it.

Understood Otto. Hello btw. :wave: But this didn't unfold (at least my part in it) because Knebby's signature was "asked about". She was outright accused of...oh nevermind. I've ridden this horse way too long. It was the manner in which it was pointed to.

Understood Otto. Hello btw. :wave: But this didn't unfold (at least my part in it) because Knebby's signature was "asked about". She was outright accused of...oh nevermind. I've ridden this horse way too long. It was the manner in which it was pointed to.

Yeah, that's right, and I agree. I didn't like that post either.

:wave:

Actually, my post that you say derailed the thread regarding children and such was directed at Misty Mountain, not you.

Namely this one:

It was this random rant at Knebby out of nowhere that I quoted asking WTF? My response to this post was where I entered this thread. So sue me. Evidently you thought I was directing my post at you. I wasn't involved in your discussion about the size or content of Knebby's sig. Frankly, I haven't been on here since last week, so I must have missed it. I just responded to this above quote coming out of right field. Nothing more. Sorry for the confusion.

Look at it this way - the post from Misty Mountain is no more random than seeing this displayed over and over for several weeks in threads across the board:

* Who Cares For Medication *

I am me as you are you...

5095534_7_3.jpg

And Misty's post was actually not that random, it came out of the exchange you missed which preceeded it.

Five minutes spent explaining the thing to the members of the board God condemned to be born far away from Manchester, feeling niether worn nor torn, would have cleared this up, you know?

But as you both (and others) make clear, ours is not to wonder why this isn't a matter for public discussion, though it's on public board.

Alrighty then. That's me out of it, as well.

What a great thread this has turned into... NOT!!!

I wondered where I found my sig and struggle to name the song really.

Given the reponses to the title of the thread it seems to me that some people here would fail an APTitude test :blink:

Mr Shearer being swung at by Mr Keane is old football news and no one died or was tragically injured. I know knebby has this heros thing for Mr S along with many many thousands of Newcastle United and England fans. he c was well able to stand up for himself too,ask any defender.

Hardly condoning violence by having it there when her hero is being attacked.

Roy Keane was sometimes a vicious footballer for Manchester United and some of his tackles were harder and more damaging than this attempted punch.

Where the drug use comes into the argumant fuck knows. :blink:

And given some of the vicious personal comments that occur on forums at times this picture pails into insignificance for me.

get a life some of you!!!

Fuckwit Central is alive and well.

:D

Look at it this way - the post from Misty Mountain is no more random than seeing this displayed over and over for several weeks in threads across the board:

* Who Cares For Medication *

I am me as you are you...

5095534_7_3.jpg

And Misty's post was actually not that random, it came out of the exchange you missed which preceeded it.

Five minutes spent explaining the thing to the members of the board God condemned to be born far away from Manchester, feeling niether worn nor torn, would have cleared this up, you know?

But as you both (and others) make clear, ours is not to wonder why this isn't a matter for public discussion, though it's on public board.

Alrighty then. That's me out of it, as well.

At fucking LAST.

My sig was NOT of huge proportions - if it was too big for the guidelines it would have been automatically shrunk. As it is I MADE IT SMALLER MYSELF WITHOUT BEING ASKED TO. Big fucking deal.

And I DID explain to you why I like that picture - something you have refused to acknowledge.

@Who cares for medication@ is a line from a Zeppelin song. So go yell at THEM if you don't like the things it suggests. One minute you are complaining that the pic is irrelevant on a Zep forum, next you are bitching about a quote from a Zeppelin song.

This whole thing is CLEARLY about attacking me and is transparent as your attacks usually are. You are SO desperate to try to control me, from telling me how I should post to telling me how I should have my sig, and telling me how I should respond to irrelevant questions about it.

Get a fucking LIFE.

Oh and yes I AM advocating swearing.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And what the hell does Manchester have to do with ANY of this? I was born far away from Manchester too.

Please, ZepFriends, let's drop this or get it back on topic. I've been reading this forum since it started, took some time before I registered, then took some more time before I posted.

I'm sorry to see my first post turn in to an argument about sigs.

I do really appreciate knowing what Robert said now. Thanks for that.

Happy Friday everyone, enjoy your weekend.

Archived