Robert Plant - Pre-Zep History

I've started the New Year at Birmingham archives..checked May-November 1967 for 'Nbetweens gigs and found the following BOJ gigs..apologies if they have already appeared.

All from the Birmingham Evening Mail.

boj1967002.jpg

Wed 31st May 1967

boj1967003.jpg

Sun 16th July 1967

boj1967004.jpg

Tues 18th July 1967

boj1967005.jpg

Wed 26th July 1967

boj1967006.jpg

Sat 29th July 1967

Excellent work as always, Blocoboy.

According to Band Of Joy roadie Harry Barber, the 7/29 gig at Black Horse was the last show that Robert performed with the "original" Band Of Joy. The subsequent shows in August and September featured Robert with a different backing group. (In fact, some of the gigs credited to just "Band Of Joy" may not feature Robert at all.)

• 2 weeks later...

Not much chance of a rest for Mr Plant over Christmas 1967-

bojjan68002.jpg

The Penthouse gig supporting The Marvelettes is Saturday 23rd December 1967.

The Penthouse gig supporting The Troggs is Sunday 24th December 1967.

The Cofton Country Club gig is Sunday 24h December 1967.

Two days 3 gigs and you could probably see all of them for less than a quid.

Edited by Blocoboy

Wow BLOCOBOY, Have gone back and read the first 13 pages of this thread, will do the rest when I can. This is indeed even though somebody else started the thread, has to be the most intestesting place for historical facts of dates etc to with Plant, this guy was always going to make it. The time you have taken to post these old cuttings up, going to the library takes alot of time and effort.

Thanks for all this. Its a gold mine you have unearthed. KUDOS to you. If we could give awards on here .

• 4 weeks later...

Well well well. Thanks to Blocoboy's latest discoveries, we now have proof that Robert played under the "Band Of Joy" name AFTER Obs-Tweedle was formed in March 1968. That likely means one of two things:

1. Robert did not join Obs-Tweedle in March 1968 (as some sources claim)

or

2. Robert did join Obs-Tweedle in March, but they played several concerts as the "Band Of Joy".

I guess we'll never know the answer unless we find overlapping dates for the 2 bands. Harry Barber (Band Of Joy roadie) claims that the BOJ played at Mothers on April 4, 1968 (which is the same date that Obs-Tweedle played the Woolpack Restaurant). If someone can find evidence that the BOJ played at Mothers on April 4th, then I think it would close the case.

Well well well. Thanks to Blocoboy's latest discoveries, we now have proof that Robert played under the "Band Of Joy" name AFTER Obs-Tweedle was formed in March 1968. That likely means one of two things:

1. Robert did not join Obs-Tweedle in March 1968 (as some sources claim)

or

2. Robert did join Obs-Tweedle in March, but they played several concerts as the "Band Of Joy".

I guess we'll never know the answer unless we find overlapping dates for the 2 bands. Harry Barber (Band Of Joy roadie) claims that the BOJ played at Mothers on April 4, 1968 (which is the same date that Obs-Tweedle played the Woolpack Restaurant). If someone can find evidence that the BOJ played at Mothers on April 4th, then I think it would close the case.

Great strides have been made but for me Robert's pre-Led Zeppelin performance history has become of a train wreck at the moment. I have found no less than three discrepancies in the Barber book when compared against adverts in other sources:

2/8/68 London, Marquee Club according to 'Led Zeppelin - The Press Reports' by Robert Godwin

London, Speakeasy according to 'Band of Joy' by Harry Barber

2/23/68 London, Marquee Club according to 'Led Zeppelin - The Press Reports' by Robert Godwin

Dudley, Broadway Club according to 'Band of Joy' by Harry Barber

3/8/68 Hampstead, Westfield College - Dining Hall / Bar according to 'The Lemon Tree' (Dec '94) (fanzine)

Erdington, Mother's according to 'Band of Joy' by Harry Barber

:unsure:

Great strides have been made but for me Robert's pre-Led Zeppelin performance history has become of a train wreck at the moment. I have found no less than three discrepancies in the Barber book when compared against adverts in other sources:

2/8/68 London, Marquee Club according to 'Led Zeppelin - The Press Reports' by Robert Godwin

London, Speakeasy according to 'Band of Joy' by Harry Barber

2/23/68 London, Marquee Club according to 'Led Zeppelin - The Press Reports' by Robert Godwin

Dudley, Broadway Club according to 'Band of Joy' by Harry Barber

3/8/68 Hampstead, Westfield College - Dining Hall / Bar according to 'The Lemon Tree' (Dec '94) (fanzine)

Erdington, Mother's according to 'Band of Joy' by Harry Barber

:unsure:

I have the 2 Marquee gigs listed in "London Live" by Tony Bacon if that's any help.

I guess we'll never know the answer unless we find overlapping dates for the 2 bands. Harry Barber (Band Of Joy roadie) claims that the BOJ played at Mothers on April 4, 1968 (which is the same date that Obs-Tweedle played the Woolpack Restaurant). If someone can find evidence that the BOJ played at Mothers on April 4th, then I think it would close the case

The Mothers gig I have just put on here is for the 12th April 1968..might I suggest that an eight day discrepancy may be due to relying on memory.

If their is any specific Midlands gigs I can look for please let me know..I know the Walsall Teacher Training College would be nice :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...