Robert Plant - Pre-Zep History

Fascinating finds have once again been presented here by Blocoboy. A standing ovation!

Glad you like them..before I blot my copy book I have a pic of the Way of Life (the one with them standing in front of John Bonhams homemade amps)..if this is familiar to you all I won't bother putting it on here.

Glad you like them..before I blot my copy book I have a pic of the Way of Life (the one with them standing in front of John Bonhams homemade amps)..if this is familiar to you all I won't bother putting it on here.

Offhand it doesn't sound familiar to me so would love to see it! Many thanks for the photo above of Bonzo. Great to see early stuff like that.

• 2 weeks later...
Has the Dial Lp been discussed before?

There was a brief reference earlier in this thread. I see that the album's release date is listed as February 1964, but the article you posted is from September 1964. Were they still promoting the album 7 months later, or is the release date wrong?

I didn't know Bonham was still in the band in September. I thought he had moved on by then (to Terry Webb & The Spiders?)

It's quite possible JB was still with them in September. Dates between 1964-1966 for John are not well documented. It's known between 65-66 he played in many bands, sometimes making only one-off appearances. Mick Bonham sadly passed away before he could finish off that last book he was working on, so much information is missing.

There was a brief reference earlier in this thread. I see that the album's release date is listed as February 1964, but the article you posted is from September 1964. Were they still promoting the album 7 months later, or is the release date wrong?

I didn't know Bonham was still in the band in September. I thought he had moved on by then (to Terry Webb & The Spiders?)

Thanks Blocoboy. I now remember where I read about this. It was mentioned in Mick Bonhams book.

Alas The Navigation is another pub long gone.

Coventry library have copies of the local newspapers that would cover the Bonham/Plant Midlands adventures..Senators,Listen etc..it might be worth a look if you are ever at a loose end for a few hours..I'm assuming you're a local.

I'm still wading through Wolvo and Brum archives at the moment but Cov is on my to do list :rolleyes:

Re .Shenstone Teacher Training College 1968.

I thought I might save a bit of petrol money by emailing Worcester Archives to see if they would check The Bromsgrove Messenger for any Obstweedle gigs during the relevant period.

This is the reply-

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Obstweedle and their possible appearance at Shenstone Training College in July 1968. The Bromsgrove Messenger was the only local newspaper during that period and would have covered college stories. However, I have searched the period from the end of June through to the first week of August and have not found any reference to Obstweedle.

Not the best result..it just means that I will have to get over there at some point and check for myself..it's quite easy to miss stuff..unless of course someone on here lives in the area and has a hour to spare :-)