Robert Plant - Pre-Zep History

Mr. duCille -

Welcome to the forum. Could you kindly confirm the date of the wedding and the name/location of church? If there was a reception did Robert Plant attend? If so could you kindly confirm that location and if he performed or not? Thank you.

First I do not intend to give out personal info to strangers, no matter how innocent the request. Suffice it to say it was Autumn 1969 at Kirksandall Church near Doncaster Yorkshire. RP did not perform at the wedding other than to read out the various cards, telegrams and good wishes.

Edited by Beresford

Hello Bes,

Earlier in this thread Blocoboy posted an article from October 1967 which indicated that Mickey Cox formed The Good Egg after members of the original Band Of Joy defected to Robert's band. The article lists The Good Egg as:

Mickey Cox (vocals, guitar)

Keith Belmore (lead guitar) <-- might he be the same person as Keith Law?

Keith Langsford (bass)

Plug Pemberton (drums) <-- might he be the same as Peter Robinson?

Meanwhile, the same article lists the new Band Of Joy lineup as:

Robert Plant (vocals)

Keith Hammond (guitar) <-- I presume that this was actually Kevin Gammond

Chris Brown (organ)

Paul Lockey (bass)

John Thompson (drums) <-- might he be the same person as John Trickett?

The article does not specify if Belmore, Langsford or Pemberton had previously been members of The Band Of Joy.

Ironically, Cox and former BOJ roadie Harold Barber would later form a group called "Paint" (I wonder if it had any connection to "The Paint", which supposedly featured Plant?)

Kevyn Gammond was the BOJ's guitarist . Mickey and Aitch formed Paint but it was The Paper that RP used as an alternative BOJ.There was no Plug Pemberton, Pete Robinson was known as Plug (and a marvellous drummer to boot-still is!!) There was so much chopping and changing of bands and their lineups in the 60's that I would be surprised if anyone remembers exact details and chronology. I don't and I was around most of the time.

Very nice to meet you, after years of looking at your picture! If you're talking about RP's suit, I've always thought the jacket was several sizes too small. :D

Hi

Actually I was referring to my suit but RP's ain't great either!! The snakeskin boots made an impression on everyone. The photographer was a big LZ fan and took more pics of Rob than he did of my wife Carol and me!! We are still together BTW.

Hello Beresford..could you confirm it was the College in Gorway Road, Walsall that you were talking about..cheers.

Thats the one. West Midlands College of Education. I was there until 1969 where I met my wife and introduced my college mates to the Band of Joy.

I never said I was a schoolmate of Robert's I met him through a schoolmate (Chris Brown) who was the keyboard player in the Band of Joy

Well, I never said you were a schoolmate of Robert's either. laugh.gif Thanks so much for confirming approximate date and exact location of the wedding. I maintain a Robert Plant chronology so these details are of great interest to me.

Hi

Actually I was referring to my suit but RP's ain't great either!! The snakeskin boots made an impression on everyone. The photographer was a big LZ fan and took more pics of Rob than he did of my wife Carol and me!! We are still together BTW.

That's great that you're still together. :) I think you won on the suit but Robert won on the boots, so you're even on that score. :lol: Actually snakeskin boots in the UK in 1969 must have been quite something (I'm from there and remember those days!).

Well, I never said you were a schoolmate of Robert's either. laugh.gif Thanks so much for confirming approximate date and exact location of the wedding. I maintain a Robert Plant chronology so these details are of great interest to me.

That was me who said "schoolmate". I think I was intending to use a different word but that came out.

That's great that you're still together. :) I think you won on the suit but Robert won on the boots, so you're even on that score. :lol: Actually snakeskin boots in the UK in 1969 must have been quite something (I'm from there and remember those days!).

It occurs to me that it must be your 40th anniversary around now, congratulations!

This is a few days before the Listen stolen tapes article-

Walsall Observer 11/02/1966

scan0002-1.jpg

I think this is my favourite so far..you can imagine the telephone conversation.."Robert who?..Grant?..Prant?..Plank..oh right..Clamp"

Walsall Observer 21/07/1967 (gig is 22/07/1967)

scan0001-1.jpg

I think this is my favourite so far..you can imagine the telephone conversation.."Robert who?..Grant?..Prant?..Plank..oh right..Clamp"

scan0001-1.jpg

It seems the Nita Anderson Agency is still a going concern:

http://nitaandersonagency.com/

This from the 'N Between Times website:

Nita Anderson

People are apt to get the impression that the only entertainment agency operating in Wolverhampton during the 60's was Astra but that was not the case, there was also the Nita Anderson Agency. She began her promotional work in Sedgley, using the local Parish Hall. It was her promotions at the Ship & Rainbow that most punters best remember. She brought a number of very good acts to the Ship, including probably the most popular of all the performers at the venue, Raymond Froggatt. She managed a number of local groups, her first being Derry Ryan & Ravens who she heard playing at the Ellowes public house in Gornal. Other groups she looked after included Choice, Scarlet Religion and Revolver. It was while the 'N Betweens were with the Anderson Agency that they got their contract with Fontana and became Ambrose Slade. Some of the people who worked for Nita's agency in the 60s include Barry Dunn, the former vocalist with the Mountain Kings and the Cobras, Jimmy Powell who had some success in the early beat period with the Dimensions, Don Fardon who had a major hit with the record Indian Reservation in 1970, Keith Evans, the former drummer with the Californians and of course, the inimitable Roger Allen.

Band Of Joy

First emerged on to the local scene in 1967, with their 'amazing' lead vocalist, Robert Plant. From the outset it was obvious to local punters that he was something special, although few would probably have agreed when he was lead singer with Listen. One night that is recalled by many punters was when the band was playing at the Ship & Rainbow and Robert Plant was forced to do an unaccompanied session because of an electrical fault. It proved to be tremendous. The band was involved in at least one controversy when Robert formed a second Band Of Joy from the group, Paper. It led to a dispute with the original group's management over the name of the group. The new group had Keith Hammond on lead, Paul Lockey on bass, John Thompson on drums and Chris Brown as organist. It was a much more blues-oriented group. It was in that form that they supported Tim Rose while on tour in 1968. It was in the summer of 1968 that Robert Plant left the group, along with the group's drummer at the time, John Bonham, and joined Jimmy Page's New Yardbirds which would become Led Zeppelin. Robert Plant did play for a very short time with another group called Obs Tweedle, immediately before joining Page. He still performs locally with Priory Of Brion.

Edited by SteveAJones

Funny how that Robert Plant singing, unaccompanied after an electric outtage has been attributed to both BOJ and various early Led Zep dates. *cough*Urban Legend*cough*

An urban myth that can be dated :o

scan0005.jpg

On the same day [Nov. 4, 1967], agent Terry King advertises a change of address in the music paper [NME] and announces that his list of clients includes Robert Plant and The Band of Joy.

I'm booked into Wolvo archive on Wednesday and I'm starting with November 1967..their might be something similar in the Express & Star.

I've never seen that "singing during an electric outage" story attributed to Zeppelin gigs. :huh: Luckily you've solved that mystery. :D

scan0001-1.jpg

What I also love about this is that the Dynamic Robert's "band of joy" are in lower case letters, as if they're just a cheerful bunch of mates who follow him around. :D

I've never seen that "singing during an electric outage" story attributed to Zeppelin gigs. :huh: Luckily you've solved that mystery. :D

I remember reading such a story, but can't remember where. :slapface: Must search for it again.

Ok, here is a story, not about an electric outage, but when Robert's microphone failed.

Led Zeppelin 1969

Edited by glicine

I remember reading such a story, but can't remember where. :slapface: Must search for it again.

If you look at the Robert Plant page of this early press release for the January 1969 Boston gigs, it mentions the first gig in Sweden (which would have been on 9/12/68 at the Grona Lund Amusement Park (Tivoli Garden):

http://ledzeppelin.com/lzprogrammes/69_boston.html

This same information was repeatedly used throughout press releases in 1969, including the January Fillmore East program:

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/lzprogrammes/69_fillmore_jan_programme.html

I've also read this story in various early newspaper articles (which were essentially glorified press releases).

Does it really matter if it happened? If it didn't, I have the give the PR machine some serious credit for coming up with an awesome tall tale!

If you look at the Robert Plant page of this early press release for the January 1969 Boston gigs, it mentions the first gig in Sweden (which would have been on 9/12/68 at the Grona Lund Amusement Park (Tivoli Garden):

http://ledzeppelin.c.../69_boston.html

This same information was repeatedly used throughout press releases in 1969, including the January Fillmore East program:

http://www.ledzeppel..._programme.html

I've also read this story in various early newspaper articles (which were essentially glorified press releases).

Does it really matter if it happened? If it didn't, I have the give the PR machine some serious credit for coming up with an awesome tall tale!

[/quote

It's brought up briefly in this 1984 interview (around 2.36).

http://www.robertplant.com/multimedia/interviews/australia-tv-interview-1984/

An urban myth that can be dated :o

scan0005.jpg

I'm booked into Wolvo archive on Wednesday and I'm starting with November 1967..their might be something similar in the Express & Star.

No mention of Terry King in the E&S but I have another 25 or so BOJ/Obstweedle gigs to put on here from November 1967 to May 1968..bear with me :mellow: