Wed 03/04/68

Wed 17/04/68

Wed 24/04/68

Wed 01/05/68

Wed 08/05/68

Sat 11/05/68

Wed 22/05/68

Wed 29/05/68

The layout of the advert remained fairly constant.

scan0014-1.jpg

Friday 22nd March 1968

..and there's more-

scan0016-1.jpg

Tuesday 2nd April 1968

scan0017-1.jpg

Friday 5th April 1968

scan0019-1.jpg

Thurday 11th April 1968

scan0020-1.jpg

Sunday 14th April 1968

scan0021-1.jpg

Saturday 20th April 1968

scan0022.jpg

Friday 26th April 1968

scan0023.jpg

Thursday 25th April 1968

scan0024.jpg

Friday 3rd May 1968

That's it for the moment..I have few more to scan :blink:

Edited by Blocoboy

So.......now we've got Obs-Tweedle dates as far back as 3/13/68, plus a tour of Germany?! Is it even possible that Robert was in the group that soon? Do we know of any confirmed Band Of Joy dates after 3/10/68?

Also, the 1/21/68 Band Of Joy show is billed as "By demand from London", yet it's been reported that they played London later in January. So, did they go to London twice? Or are the previously-published dates incorrect?

In my previous discussion with Bill Bonham, he has stated that Obs-Tweedle played at the Star Club in Hamburg. At that point Robert had not yet joined the band. They picked up a guitarist Scotty for the trip though. When the band returned from Europe, they performed at Dudley Zoo, where Robert was in the audience at asked to join the band. This all happened in March/April 1968. What we need is an advert showing the date of the Dudley gig, which would pinpoint when Robert joined the band.

Meg

So.......now we've got Obs-Tweedle dates as far back as 3/13/68, plus a tour of Germany?! Is it even possible that Robert was in the group that soon? Do we know of any confirmed Band Of Joy dates after 3/10/68?

Also, the 1/21/68 Band Of Joy show is billed as "By demand from London", yet it's been reported that they played London later in January. So, did they go to London twice? Or are the previously-published dates incorrect?

For Robert Plant and the Band of Joy, it didn't. For Obs-Tweedle, prior to Robert joining, apparently it did happen.

Meg

I'm a little confused..I thought that Obstweedle didn't exist prior to RP joining The Answer..when he joined they changed their name to Obstweedle.

Anyway-

This is the full advert from the April 2nd gig at Essington-

obs007.jpg

Friday 5th April 1968

obs008.jpg

Sunday 12th May 1968

obs009.jpg

Thursday 16th May 1968

obs010.jpg

Saturday 18th May 1968

obs011.jpg

Monday 27th May 1968

Blocoboy, thnak you for all of the contributions you have made to this. I can't even imagine the time you have invested. I have read this entire thread and many have contributed (thanks to all), but you have certainly earned my respect!

Can't wait to see more of what you contribute :notworthy:

I'm a little confused..I thought that Obstweedle didn't exist prior to RP joining The Answer..when he joined they changed their name to Obstweedle.

That's what everyone thought before Blocoboy changed history. ;)

But it's looking more and more like Robert joined them after they had been performing as Obs-Tweedle for quite some time. The newspaper first reported that Robert joined the group on July 4, 1968, and I find it very hard to believe that Robert would have played with them for 16 weeks without any mention in the press.

Also, if Robert joined Obs-Tweedle on March 13th (3 days after the last confirmed Band Of Joy gig) then it leaves no time for Robert to go to London to work with Alexis Korner -- unless Robert had exaggerated his connection with Korner.

I bet if you dig a little deeper you will find a gig for Obs-Tweedle at the Dudley Zoo's Broadway Club in mid-June 1968. If so, then it must be the date that Robert joined the group.

Edited by swandown

I would say that's a fair assessment Scott. I believe Robert's time in Obs-Tweedle was not as long as previously thought. If we can pinpoint his recording time with Alexis in London, that would make things easier. I suspect it would have been around March/April.

That's what everyone thought before Blocoboy changed history. ;)

But it's looking more and more like Robert joined them after they had been performing as Obs-Tweedle for quite some time. The newspaper first reported that Robert joined the group on July 4, 1968, and I find it very hard to believe that Robert would have played with them for 16 weeks without any mention in the press.

Also, if Robert joined Obs-Tweedle on March 13th (3 days after the last confirmed Band Of Joy gig) then it leaves no time for Robert to go to London to work with Alexis Korner -- unless Robert had exaggerated his connection with Korner.

I bet if you dig a little deeper you will find a gig for Obs-Tweedle at the Dudley Zoo's Broadway Club in mid-June 1968. If so, then it must be the date that Robert joined the group.

That's what everyone thought before Blocoboy changed history. wink.gif

Brilliant, Scott. There's a lot of information to piece together in this thread and it sounds as if you are a step or two ahead of us both. I agree it is highly unlikely Robert Plant joined Obs-Tweedle in March 1968 as it would not afford him

the opportunity to play a few club gigs with Alexis Korner. If only the advertisements for those gigs could be found!

Blocoboy, thnak you for all of the contributions you have made to this. I can't even imagine the time you have invested. I have read this entire thread and many have contributed (thanks to all), but you have certainly earned my respect!

Can't wait to see more of what you contribute :notworthy:

Dear Ms J ,thank you for the kind words..I enjoy the research

time. The newspaper first reported that Robert joined the group on July 4, 1968, and I find it very hard to believe that Robert would have played with them for 16 weeks without any mention in the press.

When Noddy Holder joined The 'Nbetweens in March 1966 it didn't get a mention until May so don't take the RP July announcement as gospel..not wishing to sound like a stuck record but why not put these questions to RP?

I bet if you dig a little deeper you will find a gig for Obs-Tweedle at the Dudley Zoo's Broadway Club in mid-June 1968. If so, then it must be the date that Robert joined the group

I'm planning to go back to the Wolverhampton archives in the next couple of weeks..if there are any other specific dates like this I can look for please PM me and I'll see whats in there..I'll be starting with June 1968 so the Zoo gig will hopefully be one of the 1st I find.

Dear Ms J ,thank you for the kind words..I enjoy the research

When Noddy Holder joined The 'Nbetweens in March 1966 it didn't get a mention until May so don't take the RP July announcement as gospel..not wishing to sound like a stuck record but why not put these questions to RP?

I'm planning to go back to the Wolverhampton archives in the next couple of weeks..if there are any other specific dates like this I can look for please PM me and I'll see whats in there..I'll be starting with June 1968 so the Zoo gig will hopefully be one of the 1st I find.

My notes show that according to Robert Godwin's 'Led Zeppelin - The Press Reports' there was a Page performance with The Yardbirds planned for Wolverhampton on March 30, 1968. It must have been cancelled because they played

the Anderson Theater in New York that night . I'm seeking confirmation of the venue (probably Civic Hall) and if any

advetisements and/or cancellation notices for this gig were published. Perhaps something on this can be found when

you return to the archives.

My notes show that according to Robert Godwin's 'Led Zeppelin - The Press Reports' there was a Page performance with The Yardbirds planned for Wolverhampton on March 30, 1968. It must have been cancelled because they played

the Anderson Theater in New York that night . I'm seeking confirmation of the venue (probably Civic Hall) and if any

advetisements and/or cancellation notices for this gig were published. Perhaps something on this can be found when

you return to the archives.

I'd best start making my list B)

Three things about that story:

1. more proof that the phrase "new Yardbirds" was used in 1968 (even if it was informal).

2. the article claims that the band was scheduled to leave for an American tour on September 14, 1968. Yet they were still in Scandinavia! Is it possible that the Scandinavian tour was originally scheduled for just 1 week?

3. regarding the recording dates for the Alexis Korner sessions: Korner's albums have consistently claimed that the sessions took place in September 1968. Yet this article proves that the sessions had to have taken place prior to September 6th, which doesn't leave much time for Korner's claims to be correct.

Once again, fantastic work by Mr. Blocoboy.

Three things about that story:

1. more proof that the phrase "new Yardbirds" was used in 1968 (even if it was informal).

2. the article claims that the band was scheduled to leave for an American tour on September 14, 1968. Yet they were still in Scandinavia! Is it possible that the Scandinavian tour was originally scheduled for just 1 week?

3. regarding the recording dates for the Alexis Korner sessions: Korner's albums have consistently claimed that the sessions took place in September 1968. Yet this article proves that the sessions had to have taken place prior to September 6th, which doesn't leave much time for Korner's claims to be correct.

Once again, fantastic work by Mr. Blocoboy.

Cheers

I like the "They should do well " comment.

Off the top of my head, here's a wishlist:

1. Obs-Tweedle at the Dudley Zoo (Broadway Club?), sometime in April/May/June 1968. This was the show where Plant allegedly joined the group.

2. anything mentioning Robert Plant or The Band Of Joy between March 10 and June 28, 1968.

3. confirmation of the Obs-Tweedle or Band Of Joy gig at the West Midlands College of Education on Gorway Road in late July.

4. confirmation of the Obs-Tweedle or Band Of Joy gig in Buxton (or Boston) with Terry Reid. This was the show that caused Reid to recommend Plant to Page.

Thanks and good luck!

Off the top of my head, here's a wishlist:

4. confirmation of the Obs-Tweedle or Band Of Joy gig in Buxton (or Boston) with Terry Reid. This was the show that caused Reid to recommend Plant to Page.

Scott, my notes (1991) show Terry Reid said Robert Plant and His Band of Joy were billed below him at the Buxton Opera House. Terry added he watched their set and phoned Jimmy the next day to tell him about Robert. Jimmy had

already spoken with Terry, so he knew Jimmy was still looking for a vocalist. For some reason I have this show as Sat,

July 13, 1968 - my notes don't say why - if correct they may have actually been billed as Obs-Tweedle on that date.

Scott, my notes (1991) show Terry Reid said Robert Plant and His Band of Joy were billed below him at the Buxton Opera House. Terry added he watched their set and phoned Jimmy the next day to tell him about Robert. Jimmy had already spoken with Terry, so he knew Jimmy was still looking for a vocalist.

I always thought it was Buxton as well, but this article says it was at the Boston Gliderdome.

It's also worth noting that the same article states that the infamous tour of Scotland took place "in the middle of winter" (which would rule out May 1968 as commonly suspected).

I always thought it was Buxton as well, but this article says it was at the Boston Gliderdome.

It's also worth noting that the same article states that the infamous tour of Scotland took place "in the middle of winter" (which would rule out May 1968 as commonly suspected).

Given Blocoboy's Autumn '67 findings it was quite likely later in the year - perhaps Nov/Dec of 1967.

??? ?? 1967 Ayr, Scotland Ayr Ice Rink

Billed as Robert Plant and his Band of Joy

Source: Plant interview in Sunday Mail (Oct 23 2005)

??? ?? 1967 Kircaldy, Scotland YMCA

Billed as Robert Plant and his Band of Joy

Source: Plant interview in Sunday Mail (Oct 23 2005)