Robert Plant - Pre-Zep History

I'm not sure if Bonzo was in the band at the time, but according to IT ads, Tim Rose also toured England in May 1968 as well. These ads have Tim Rose at Grimsby on 5/19, Beckenham on 5/20, and Nottingham on 5/21:

Elsewhere on this forum there's a thread discussing Tim Rose, and it lists 3 tourdates in July 1968 which perfectly match these 3 dates in May (i.e., Grimsby 7/19, Beckenham 7/20, Nottingham 7/21).

I think it's safe to say that those "July" dates are incorrect. Now we just need to figure out if Bonzo was touring with Tim Rose in May!

Elsewhere on this forum there's a thread discussing Tim Rose, and it lists 3 tourdates in July 1968 which perfectly match these 3 dates in May (i.e., Grimsby 7/19, Beckenham 7/20, Nottingham 7/21).

I think it's safe to say that those "July" dates are incorrect. Now we just need to figure out if Bonzo was touring with Tim Rose in May!

Interesting. More than likely, the original tour dates listed for May were incorrect. I found these ads which place the Grimsby and Beckenham shows on the same days in July (19th & 20th), as had been listed for May:

TimRose-July1968.jpg

The July dates are correct. My understanding of those May dates were that they were cancelled and rescheduled for July. Before Tim Rose died, on his official site there used to be a forum with many posts from fans recollecting seeing Tim during the 1968 tours. Sadly the forum was removed but I do recall some posts about Visa problems and a dispute with the promoter over monies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hope your feeling better, Blocoboy. I miss your contributions to this forum as well.

I'm ticking over thanks matey.

I think I've exhausted the relevant Express and Stars for pre Zep stuff..I'm currently wading through 1962-64 for pre Slade stuff so if their's anything I can look for please let me know.

Once I've gone through the E&Ss the Wolverhampton Chronicle awaits and then the archives at West Bromwich and then..Birmingham!

• 2 weeks later...

For the New Yardbirds fans..this is the complete article from September 12th 1968-

001.jpg

Article date can't be right. The article states that they returned from Demark and were going to America on Sat. Zeppelin were still playing in Scandinavia for the first tour on September 12, 1968 and didn't tour America till late Dec 1968.

Article date can't be right. The article states that they returned from Demark and were going to America on Sat. Zeppelin were still playing in Scandinavia for the first tour on September 12, 1968 and didn't tour America till late Dec 1968.

Just checked the date of the article..12th September 1968..it may be worth considering that the article might not have been intended to be published on that date and was to be published prior to the USA trip..it's just a bit of space filler about a little known singer in a local newspaper...I think the chart at the side of the article is a September 1968 chart (thats one for the experts) however on my next visit to the Wolvo archives I will double check and be prepared to eat humble pie :slapface:

Edited by Blocoboy

Spent a few hours in the Birmingham archives today..managed to wade through The Birmingham Evening Mail Jan-Sept 1966..nothing for the 1st few months and then-

Thurs 7th July 1966

listen0707660001.jpg

Sat 16th July 1966

listen1607660001-1.jpg

Sun 28th August 1966

listen2808660001.jpg

Tues 30th August 1966

listen3008660001.jpg

Sat 17th Sept 1966

listen1709660001-1.jpg

Re the Chalet Country Club gig..I imagine I'll have to find out what else the Mercury and Mail said :-)

Edited by Blocoboy

Bloco or Scott, do you have any information regarding dates Plant worked for Wimpey in Birmingham? I've seen conflicting dates published, either in 1966 or 1967. Plant also worked for Woolworths in Halesowen.

Bloco or Scott, do you have any information regarding dates Plant worked for Wimpey in Birmingham? I've seen conflicting dates published, either in 1966 or 1967. Plant also worked for Woolworths in Halesowen.

Can't help you with that Meg sorry.

Did you read this?

http://www.sundaymercury.net/news/tm_method=full&objectid=20551096&siteid=50002-name_page.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Spent a few hours at Dudley Archives today..this is the only RP related thing I could find between 1965-67..they must have had a good publicist..Kendal archives might be worth a look at.

abate0002.jpg

Dudley Herald-25/11/66

Edited by Blocoboy