Robert Plant - Pre-Zep History

Swanlicote is a mystery..probably Swadlincote in Derbyshire.

The Willenhall Baths and "Autumn 66" gigs are the same thing..it doesn't help that Slade didn't exist for another 3 years..the confusion is probably because the 'Nbetweens became Slade.

A couple of the venues listed are a bit strange.."Bent Jade" and the "Established Owl"?

Is the Bromsgrove July 20 1969 gig before or after the Walsall Teacher training gig?

I agree "Swanlicote" is a typo and it is "Swadlincote". During one of Priory of Brion gigs in December 1999 Robert mentioned from the stage having returned to the site of the roller rink...to find it gone.

I agree Willenhall Baths and "Autumn 66" must be the same.

I believe "Bent-Jade Club" was substantiated by an ad, but I could be wrong.

"Established Owl" is directly from Robert himself during the 1995 SXSW in Austin. His

recollection could be wrong of course, but he sounded certain. It could be a case of

the venue having gone through multiple name changes since then. There are some

venues Jason Bonham has played three times or more where the venue's name was different each time.

Bromsgrove and the Walsall Teacher's Training College gig (7/20/68) seem to be one

and the same. There is a discrepancy in the name at the time since it had changed

over the years. Once I find the original ad (I have it somewhere) that should confirm

what it was called when Robert performed there.

I agree "Swanlicote" is a typo and it is "Swadlincote". During one of Priory of Brion gigs in December 1999 Robert mentioned from the stage having returned to the site of the roller rink...to find it gone.

I agree Willenhall Baths and "Autumn 66" must be the same.

I believe "Bent-Jade Club" was substantiated by an ad, but I could be wrong.

"Established Owl" is directly from Robert himself during the 1995 SXSW in Austin. His

recollection could be wrong of course, but he sounded certain. It could be a case of

the venue having gone through multiple name changes since then. There are some

venues Jason Bonham has played three times or more where the venue's name was different each time.

Bromsgrove and the Walsall Teacher's Training College gig (7/20/68) seem to be one

and the same. There is a discrepancy in the name at the time since it had changed

over the years. Once I find the original ad (I have it somewhere) that should confirm

what it was called when Robert performed there.

I'd like to see the Walsall College ad..I looked in the Walsall Observer archives last week and couldn't find it but that doesn't mean anything it was probably put in another paper.

Your comment about the college having name changes is interesting..I have lived in Walsall for over 50 years and it's always been known as Walsall Teacher Training College as far as I know..it would be great to find out what else it was known as.

Club names do change but they usually make some sense.."Established Owl"??

The Blue Horizon Wolverhampton is listed as well..never heard of it and never seen it mentioned in any of the Black Country archives..it's probably The Blue Flame.

The main problem with any of this stuff is relying on books and the memories of the artist..most books have little or no research done and rock and roll can take its toll..classic case in point..The 'Nbetweens were said to have played their 1st paid gig together at Walsall Town Hall on 1st April 1966..they group told the story..the books told the story..their is a Blue Plaque in the Mayors parlour to commerate the date..its total rubbish..they played there 2 weeks earlier..the TH was closed on the alledged date and the group were in Newcastle on the night..a little research would have stopped this tale becoming the "truth"

Their is still a lot pre Zep stuff available...it just needs someone to look for it..my main interest is the pre Slade things so any Zeppelin fan on here from the Black County who wants pointing in the right direction please contact me and we'll have a chat.

Club names do change but they usually make some sense.."Established Owl"??

It's entirely possible I misheard what Robert said about it being the "Established Owl". I do know for certain he did say he had opened for Gene Vincent so perhaps there is an advert somewhere to substantiate where Gene had performed on that tour.

Your absolutely correct about artist and audience recollections being inaccurate. The

howler I always think of is in more recent years when Jimmy once told an interviewer

about the Earls Court concerts in "1976".

I think the song's writers should have been spelled Cavaliere and Brigati, as in Felix and Eddie of the Young Rascals.

Slade looked pretty cool back then! Like it better than the skinhead look. :P

The 1st time I saw Slade was outside Noddy Holders parents in October 1969..they had only recently had the skinhead cut and they looked scarey..I went to see them play in Jan 1970 and the audience were just as scarey..the group grew their hair ASAP.:-)

hp1.jpg

robertplantsounds004wi1.jpg

Nice find! The Brumbeats featured Roger Hill and Alan Eastwood, who crossed paths with Robert Plant numerous times in the '60s. Also, when The Brumbeats were signed by Decca Records in late 1963, John Paul Jones was part of the session crew that was brought in as "insurance" in case the band couldn't play.

Edited by swandown

I came across this on RO forum posted by "Wailing Sounds"

This was an interview with RP talking about his early influences and the bands he sang with in the early years before Zep. The magazine was SOUNDS, not sure of the publication date but the pic of Plant on the front appears to be early 80's.

robertplantsounds002vj3-1.jpg

robertplantsounds003ei3-1.jpg

robertplantsounds004wi1-1.jpg

Enlarge photo, if you mouse over pic an arrow cursor will appear, click on that and it will enlarge the pic further so you can read the text.

Thanks for posting the article Lynn! I used to own it but sadly many of my old clippings disappeared over the many moves.

I gave away a copy of that mag on the last forum because I had two. Can't remember but I think Chicken may have got it in the end?

I came across this on RO forum posted by "Wailing Sounds"

This was an interview with RP talking about his early influences and the bands he sang with in the early years before Zep. The magazine was SOUNDS, not sure of the publication date but the pic of Plant on the front appears to be early 80's.

robertplantsounds002vj3-1.jpg

Enlarge photo, if you mouse over pic an arrow cursor will appear, click on that and it will enlarge the pic further so you can read the text.

I'm certainly glad he aged well, he looks so gey in the pic on the right :lol:

RE: the article from SOUNDS

I found that quite by accident but thought it fit in nicely with the topic of the thread.

I guess Robert doesn't have such a bad memory after all!! :)

Great article.

Does anyone have an approx date of Rob3ert's one man demo in Wolverhampton (it might have been Birmingham)..I came across the news report a few years ago and it would be nice to refind it..67/68 ish..unless it's already on here of course.

The magazine was SOUNDS, not sure of the publication date but the pic of Plant on the front appears to be early 80's.

I believe this is from 'Sounds Fan Library #12' which is a special all Robert Plant issue published in 1983 (for the benefit of anyone seeking a copy on ebay or what have you).

A bit more to add to the story..all from the Sutton Coldield News.-

sutton007.jpg

Sunday July 6th 1967

sutton005.jpg

Friday 22nd Dec 1967

sutton003.jpg

Saturday May 4th 1968.

Blocoboy,

Interesting! The last ad you posted is the first time I've ever seen Obstweedle spelled without the "H".

The only other place I've seen it spelled this way was in the liner notes for 66 to Timbuktu which were written by Plant. It seems in many interviews over the years, it has been spelled with the"H". This is probably why there is always so much confusion about the correct spelling of the name.

Good find.

Blocoboy,

Interesting! The last ad you posted is the first time I've ever seen Obstweedle spelled without the "H".

The only other place I've seen it spelled this way was in the liner notes for 66 to Timbuktu which were written by Plant. It seems in many interviews over the years, it has been spelled with the"H". This is probably why there is always so much confusion about the correct spelling of the name.

Good find.

Somewhere in the Mysteries Thread there is a concert ad for Obs' Tweedle, which

sparked speculation as to if the liner notes should have had the apostrophe also,

but the consensus was the advert was incorrect.

I think confusion about the correct spelling of the name originates in a '72/'73 interview

Jimmy gave to Zig Zag magazine wherein he says he saw Robert perform with a band

called "...Obstweedle or Hobbstweedle or something..."

Robert himself was very precise during a 7/4/98 Page/Plant interview with Much Music held at the Molson Amphitheater in Toronto. The interviewer accentuated the H when she pronounced it, and Robert was quick to correct her by saying "Obs" with emphasis and spelling it out.

I hadn't realized he had his name in front of the Band of Joy at one point.

...and in CAPITAL LETTERS........ looks like Exclusive Engagement......:D :D

Thanks to all for contributing to this very informative and entertaining thread.... :D :D

band_of_joy_150_02_kevyn_gammond.jpg

Band of Joy © Kevyn Gammond

...and in CAPITAL LETTERS........ looks like Exclusive Engagement......:D :D

Thanks to all for contributing to this very informative and entertaining thread.... :D :D

band_of_joy_150_02_kevyn_gammond.jpg

Band of Joy © Kevyn Gammond

Glad you like them.

Mothers and Le Metro were good clubs ,everybody and their granny played there.

The Youth Club still exists..they advertised grroups every week by the look of it..no big names at all but they probably couldn't afford them :D

I noticed that too and was wondering if that was just a one off thing or at some point they were billed as Robert Plant and the Band of Joy.

I believe this was the 2nd incarnation of the band, which Robert formed after being fired from the original Band Of Joy. I'm guessing that he called it "Robert Plant And The Band Of Joy" to distinguish it from the other group (which soon folded anyway).

I believe this was the 2nd incarnation of the band, which Robert formed after being fired from the original Band Of Joy. I'm guessing that he called it "Robert Plant And The Band Of Joy" to distinguish it from the other group (which soon folded anyway).

As 5 months separate the RP+BOJ and BOJ advert is it safe to say the Yenton gig is with Rob3ert..If so I would hazard a guess that cost came into the advert..if they charged by the letter the last thing you need is an eleven letter name. :slapface: