Robert Plant - Pre-Zep History

That's what glicine just said. :D

Highly interesting. I've always remembered the Saturday, July 20th 1968 as the day Jimmy Page and Peter Grant (plus Chris Dreja) went to see Robert Plant sing but at the West Midlands College of Higher Education?

June 12th - Obs-Tweedle

June 22nd - The New Obs-Tweedle

I would not be surprised if Robert joined sometime between those two shows. It fits in perfectly with the common story that he was only with the band for a few weeks.

Also, the venue for the July 20th show (The Connaught Hotel, Tettenhall Road, Wolverhampton) is quite interesting, because this was supposedly the date of the show at the "teacher training college" where Jimmy and Peter Grant saw Robert.

I asked Bill Bonham again today about Obstweedle...this is his reply.

Robert had to have been in the band as we had never used that name before.

Any gig obstweedle played was with Robert.

The Walsall College gig advert would be really interesting to see :D

I asked Bill Bonham again today about Obstweedle...this is his reply.

Robert had to have been in the band as we had never used that name before.

Any gig obstweedle played was with Robert.

The Walsall College gig advert would be really interesting to see :D

Bloco,

I too spoke with Bill sometime ago (an earlier thread over this can be found elsewhere). When discussing the origins of the name he definitely posted back with "Obs-tweedle". Interesting comment about Plant. He told me that the band existed prior to Plant joining and that he was at first a replacement for their singer who fell sick. The name originated from his father who was the band's manager, after the band couldn't decide what they wanted to call themselves.

Meg

Bloco,

I too spoke with Bill sometime ago (an earlier thread over this can be found elsewhere). When discussing the origins of the name he definitely posted back with "Obs-tweedle". Interesting comment about Plant. He told me that the band existed prior to Plant joining and that he was at first a replacement for their singer who fell sick. The name originated from his father who was the band's manager, after the band couldn't decide what they wanted to call themselves.

Meg

I'm now researching Bill's group history for him and the latest version of the Obst weedle saga is still that when Robert joined they changed their name from The Answer to Obs tweedle (the name suggested by Bills father)..If I can find the Answer gig in Dudley that Robert is said to have been at it might help with the timeline.

The problem is relying on people's memories :rolleyes:

Still no sign of the Walsall College gig ad..anybody?

Edited by Blocoboy

So the band existed pre-Robert but not the name, sounds like he's saying.

Wish I could help with the Walsall College ad, Blocoboy. :(

Spot on..it appears The Answer were joined by Robert and then they became Obs Tweedle.

In the past week I've visited 4 archives,Wolverhampton,Lichfield,Sutton Coldfield and Walsall, and I 've looked for the Walsall gig without luck..not had chance to get to Birmingham..the problem is that the venue very rarely advertised..it was not exactly a hive of rock and roll so if someone does have the ad I'd be really interested to know where it appeared..I'll blame brain strain if I've missed it ;)

Can I ask where the 20th July 1968 date for the Walsall gig comes from?

• 4 weeks later...

Blocoboy, AWESOME job digging up this stuff. Thanks for posting!

It looks like the 7/20/68 West Midlands College of Higher Education gig is incorrect, unless Steve can actually post the ad. Perhaps the gig was played on a different day, was unadvertised, or was the second gig they played on 7/20.

Here's the 1989 dissolution order of the West Midlands College of Higher Education (correct name). The college then became a part of the University of Wolverhampton:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19890409_en_1.htm

Here's a photo of the teaching block at the college with some background info:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/524296

It's pretty well known that the first time Page saw Bonzo was at the Country Club in Hampstead on 7/31/68 when he was playing with Tim Rose:

rose1.jpg

I read in an old fanzine that Bonzo played with Tim Rose at "The Factory," a Birmingham nightclub on 8/3/68. Plant allegedly attended this show to convince Bonzo to join the "New Yardbirds." This certainly could have been Bonzo's last gig with Rose since he went down to Jimmy's Pangborne boathouse soon thereafter.

Blocoboy, have you seen an ad for this Birmingham 8/3/68 Tim Rose gig? Also, did you happen to see any press clippings in your archival search for the Zeppelin gigs played in the area (Mothers 3/22/69; Birmingham Town Hall 6/13/69 & 1/7/70; Kinetic Circus 11/17/71; Birmingham Odeon 12/16 & 12/17/72; The Belfry, Sutton Coldfield 3/20/71, Leicester University 11/25/71; and Coventry Locarno 12/9/71)?

Edited by mikezep61

The problem is relying on people's memories :rolleyes:

Still no sign of the Walsall College gig ad..anybody?

Same problem applies to the Walsall College advert (and date)...I was relying upon my memory. I shall continue to search the archive but I have yet to find anything. :tomato:

Regardless, it seems we can rule out his having performed there on Sat, 7/20/68 as it conflicts with an advert that has been produced within this thread. :bravo:

I believe that the date was first published by Greg Russo in his Yardbirds biography.

Oh, Crikey that explains it then. I collaborated with Greg on that book regarding the

Page Concert Chronology and Dreja's recollection is indeed from whence the date comes. There is no evidence to substantiate it (yet) so far as I know.

I read in an old fanzine that Bonzo played with Tim Rose at "The Factory," a Birmingham nightclub on 8/3/68. Plant allegedly attended this show to convince Bonzo to join the "New Yardbirds." This certainly could have been Bonzo's last gig with Rose since he went down to Jimmy's Pangborne boathouse soon thereafter.

Very interesting, as Bonzo recalled he had agreed to tour with Chris Farlowe following the end of the UK Tour with Tim Rose. Perhaps Chris Farlowe can (or already has) recalled Bonzo dropping out on very short notice, seeing as Zep's first rehearsal on Gerrard Street is believed by many to have been 8/12/68.

Very interesting, as Bonzo recalled he had agreed to tour with Chris Farlowe following the end of the UK Tour with Tim Rose. Perhaps Chris Farlowe can (or already has) recalled Bonzo dropping out on very short notice, seeing as Zep's first rehearsal on Gerrard Street is believed by many to have been 8/12/68.

Hopefully Blocoboy can confirm or deny the 8/3/68 Tim Rose date listed in the old fanzine. Ironically enough, the August 3, 1968 Melody Maker stated that Tim Rose postponed his American tour from August to November.

Blocoboy, AWESOME job digging up this stuff. Thanks for posting!

It looks like the 7/20/68 West Midlands College of Higher Education gig is incorrect, unless Steve can actually post the ad. Perhaps the gig was played on a different day, was unadvertised, or was the second gig they played on 7/20.

Here's the 1989 dissolution order of the West Midlands College of Higher Education (correct name). The college then became a part of the University of Wolverhampton:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19890409_en_1.htm

Here's a photo of the teaching block at the college with some background info:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/524296

It's pretty well known that the first time Page saw Bonzo was at the Country Club in Hampstead on 7/31/68 when he was playing with Tim Rose:

Reduced: 78% of original size [ 491 x 315 ] - Click to view full image

Blocoboy, have you seen an ad for this Birmingham 8/3/68 Tim Rose gig? Also, did you happen to see any press clippings in your archival search for the Zeppelin gigs played in the area (Mothers 3/22/69; Birmingham Town Hall 6/13/69 & 1/7/70; Kinetic Circus 11/17/71; Birmingham Odeon 12/16 & 12/17/72; The Belfry, Sutton Coldfield 3/20/71, Leicester University 11/25/71; and Coventry Locarno 12/9/71)?

I've not posted on here recently mainly because I was hoping the Walsall college gig advert would appear but it would appear that its not going to :-)..I asked Bill Bonham again if he could remember the date..the answer is still no..but he doesn't remember it being a double header.

The College was never a hot bed of rock and roll in Walsall and very rarely,if ever ,advertised any of its gigs..if anyone wants to see the place in real life get off the M6 at Wednesbury..ignore Morrisons and follow the signs towards Walsall ..its on the left oppositish the old Crest Motel

The Zeppelin ads would be easy to find in any of the Brum/Cov/Leicester newspapers..the ad for the Belfy gig is on here already in the Timeline section..I submitted an ad relating to the gig which can also be seen in the same section.http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/march-20-1971

At the moment I'm concentrating on the Black Country archives but a visit to Brum is on the cards..meanwhile if any Brummies are reading this PLEASE pm me and I'll tell them where to look..having the dates helps and someone could find them in a lunch hour..honest!

I will however have a look for the Birmingham gigs in the Sutton Coldfield News archives as they sometimes listed City gigs.

This might be a silly question but has anyone asked Robert Plant if he recalls anything about the Walsall gig.

Edited by Blocoboy

Can anyone confirm the dates of Robert's association with The Brumbeats?..I have a few pieces relating to them but they are from late '64 into 1965 and I don't want to post them if they are not relevant.

Edited by Blocoboy

This might be a silly question but has anyone asked Robert Plant if he recalls anything about the Walsall gig.

Peter Grant recalled they met him at the door prior to the gig and mistook him for a roadie. I don't think Peter was ever very specific regarding the venue, simply using

the old standby "a teacher's training college near Birmingham"...

Then there is the 1973 Zig Zag magazine interview with Jimmy Page during which he

says they saw him perform with ..."Obstweedle or Hobbstweedle or something..."

Can anyone confirm the dates of Robert's association with The Brumbeats?..I have a few pieces relating to them but they are from late '64 into 1965 and I don't want to post them if they are not relevant.

I show it was for a brief period in 1963 between stints with The New Memphis Bluesbreakers and Sounds of Blue.

I show it was for a brief period in 1963 between stints with The New Memphis Bluesbreakers and Sounds of Blue.

Thanks.

Re the Walsall gig..I'll give them a bell to see if they have any paperwork from the time..it's a long shot but you never know

I've been doing more digging in the archives. I now show the 7/20/68 gig Page, Dreja & Grant attended was at a "teacher's training college" in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire. Robert discusses his recollection of this in a circa-1988 interview with Chris Tetley and during the SXSW Festival in Austin in 1995.

I've been doing more digging in the archives. I now show the 7/20/68 gig Page, Dreja & Grant attended was at a "teacher's training college" in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire. Robert discusses his recollection of this in a circa-1988 interview with Chris Tetley and during the SXSW Festival in Austin in 1995.

This place?-

http://www.francisfrith.com/bromsgrove/mem...-college_70981/

I'll hang fire on the Walsall call then..and I emailed Bill Bonham about the above and this is his reply from 2 minutes ago-

"Chris it was so long ago. I just don't remember. Bill"

Bromsgrove Local studies http://worcestershire.whub.org.uk/home/wcc-lib-bromsgrove have copies of the local newspaper on file which should cover 1969..an email might get the answer to the mystery..I have no problem doing it but a non local might get a better response.

Edited by Blocoboy

scan0002-4.jpg

This is a pic of Plant around that era. (1967 - might be closer to Band of Joy days) Leader of The Midlands Flower People. Protesting outside a courthouse.

August 1967 I think..outside Wednesbury Magistrates Court..it's on me list of articles to find..I realise most of you know about this but I would like to see how the Express and Star reported it. :rolleyes: