The Riffs of Led Zeppelin

What makes a LZ riff differnent from other bands? What does it have that others lack? Black Sabbath have riffs that are similar except that they downtune the guitars.

I always feel like they structure thier riffs like the up and down structures of a rollercoaster. Plus they have some element of blues in there as well. There also is some sort of action packed dynamic to thier songs.

Mc7

What makes a LZ riff differnent from other bands? What does it have that others lack? Black Sabbath have riffs that are similar except that they downtune the guitars.

I always feel like they structure thier riffs like the up and down structures of a rollercoaster. Plus they have some element of blues in there as well. There also is some sort of action packed dynamic to thier songs.

Mc7

Also Zep was around before sabbath.

Mc7

it's whats behind the riff-the greatest drums ever recorded. and that little space behind the beat, between the riff-that makes it swing.

Cleverness, attitude, structure, tone, and correctly fitting the vibe within the song's framework. Not easy to achieve, but Page did it consistently and effortlessly, more so than anyone else has to date. That's his bag. It's a big bag.

Archived