Causes for Dissatisfaction With The New Board

MS1

You do realize that if they removed 'post counts' then you would probably be ruining a few peoples whole day. But how about it if the mods could up the flood control time setting just for the spam abusers?

I just think it's a useless piece of information. I don't see why anyone gives a shit about post counts, really.

^but I like it when the siggys are smaller. Not only do I save frustration scrolling past it, but I also am not forced to look at life-size portraits of Robert's nose hair. :lol:

Small siggys give us the benefit of being creative without the annoyance of having to scroll for ten minutes to get three posts down. :wacko:

I also agree that a sub-forum for games would be nice. I like how PZ has it there because then I don't get "fooled," thinking that there is a reply in a thread I may be interested in when I'm looking for discussions instead of games. It's also nice to know that at PZ I don't have to wade through threads to get to onces that aren't games.

Here are a few stats I compiled about the composition of Ramble On. I did it in the intent of looking for patterns of threads/posts/posters and activity of all the above in order to make some sense of whether we should get a "games" sub-forum.

I really think we shold get a "games" sub-forum. I think it would be a nice way to keep the games out of people's way--espeically the people who are quite irritated by them and call them spam.

I do not think we should do away with them, but I think they should be seperate.

Here are my statistical findings:

On the first page alone, there are 9 threads where you post a one or two word phrase that is “game-like” out of 30 total threads. (I’m not saying that every thread that’s not a game thread is quality..)

In Ramble on, there are 20 game threads out of a total of 88 threads.

Out of a total of 3,852 total posts in Ramble On, there are 2174 posts in these threads. That composes over 56% of Ramble On!

These threads are created by 13 different people, one person has created 4 of the most spam-like, and there are a few others that have created more than one. To top it off, many of the game thread creators are in the top 30 posters, especially the games with the most replies. But—some of these people who have created these threads I don’t know because they only post in these kinds of threads, or the mass majority of their posts are in game threads.

I just see a pattern here…

1. Song Name Game—21 pages and 1542 replies, AND there are like three active threads in this forum already that play this exact game.

2. Word association-- :rolleyes: just :rolleyes:

3. Let’s play Atlas!—a total of 7 pages and 540 replies :huh:

4. The person above you thread—3 pages, 247 replies

5. What r listenin 2—2 pages, 164 replies

6. What are you wearing?—3 pages, 287 replies

7. What are you washing in the laundry?—4 pages, 544 replies (and has actual discussions going)

8. Beautiful Men—4 pages, 75 replies (created discussion)

9. Corrupt-A-Wish Game—2 pages, 35 replies

10. The Hair Thread: Talk about your hair—3 pages, 51 replies

11. Guess the Movie Quote Thread—2 pages, 20 replies

12. Food: talk about food—5 pages, 86 replies

Page

13. Post a Random Picture Thread—2 pages, 36 replies

14. A-Z movies—1 page, 6 replies

15. Beautiful Women Thread—4 pages, 67 replies

16. Random Lyric Thread—2 pages, 21 replies (one of the better games, IMO)

17. What colour is your toothbrush?—2 pages, 21 replies

18. The Shout Out thread-1 page, 0 replies

19. The Add A Verse or Original Lyric Thread—1, 0 replies (this one requires imagination—no wonder why there’s not replies…:sarcasm: )

20. Beautiful Women—1 page, 1 reply

I think what's even more worthless than the "game" threads are the "Hi, I'm new" threads. I've always disliked the Meet & Greet section for that reason.

Those are really irritating. I wish we had one big thread for "Hi, I'm New." I think that the problem-solving for that would be to disable newbie's thread creation for a few posts or so--or make it so you have to read the "norms" for posting before posting. :lol:

Geez---I'm becoming a bit anal, aren't I?

:Backs out of thread:

Spell check would be nice, because my spelling is for shit. I think the new board is great and I'm just happy that Sam has given us this wonderful place to play ( Thanks Sam !) . My beef with this board is the same beef I had with the other board...that it's not as jumpin' as it has been, it's not the boards fault, just things have slowed to a snails pace. Too many folks lurking, what happened to all our duisfuntional family ? and we can't use folks being banned as an excuse 'cause ALL of them are back in their new and improved form ! I guess I miss the arguments and love and crazy ass posts ......I guess I just need to give it time.

There IS a spellcheck Celia, see the little "abc" and checkmark? Next to the colors option, I think you have to download it.

You can get a spellcheck with a Yahoo toolbar or Firefox, I disabled mine...duh. I could use it today.

yes!!!!

Oh, Tank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

:huh:

How does it work? I have clicked OK there and nothing happened. :(

:lol: "Tanks"...:lol:

I'm not sure how it works really :bagoverhead:

I think you download one of several.

In fact I think I'll try that too.

I'll tell ya if I got it to work. :D:blink:

Ok burpy, I tried it just for you so don't say I never .... :P

When you click OK it takes you to a spellcheck website, gives you options, I picked the first one.

Once you download it...(and if we get screwed we'll have to blame sam...j/k) you restart your puter.

It says if you use blah, blah, blah, you do this or that. In my case with IE, it says you'll be a right-clicker. :lol: It will be in your "Tools"

Click your Tools and at the bottom will be spellcheck. Not as nice as the old board IMHO, but maybe better than having a zillion options on your toolbar.

I'm actually pretty puter illiterate, but that downloaded ok.

:hysterical: just edited for spelling.................................................. :wacko:

Overall I like the new board. I have one huge gripe though, and it's been mentioned here before. The "Show New Replies to Your Posts" function. That thing was my lifeline. Not having it really bums me out.

As for the spam thing, I don't spend much time in Ramble On so..The thing to me is, spam threads are one thing. If the thread itself is the spam or games or whatever, I could give a shit about it. That's one of the beauties of having the "Show New Replies" function. If you don't post in a spam thread, you don't have to be reminded of it.

The spam I don't dig is the invidual chunks of the stuff hurled into a serious discussion by some little jackass trying to derail a thread. That shit burns my ass like a 3 foot high flame.

As for sig size, it's only limited horizontally because if it's wider than the forum, it'll stretch the window. Evidently you can be as tall as you like. Personally, I don't think a person's sig needs to be bigger than they're entire post box! :wacko:

Please Sam, bring back the "Show New Replies to your Posts" function. Pretty please!!

Oh and Joel, I guess your whole "Sam will never fix the sticky board problem" rant can finally be consigned to the history books, eh? :lol::thumbsup:

Poor Sam. :lol:

He's got a huge request list now. :lol:

I actually agree with the limited signature space. I don't mind siggies, hell, I have one myself. But I remember that once upon a time, on the old board we told we could not have a picture larger than 200x300 or something. That's why my little license plate is so small. I had to fanangle the size without warping or distorting it. I've just always kept mine small.

One thing I wish I could see other than the siggy space being limited is somethign done with the PM inbox. I wish there were a better way to store your messages.

I'm getting used to the forum, and I'm feeling like it's home. Thanks, Sam! :D

Actually, there is. You can copy/paste them into your notepad in your user control center or whatever they call it. I used to store the links to some cool smilies in mind, as well as some valued PMs. I don't think the notepad space is unlimited, but it was pretty friggin' big.

FWIW, this is the board setup we had shortly after I joined in 2003. I think we had it when I joined (back when you couldn't edit your posts :o ) but Sam updated to something new a few weeks after that, and then there was that big power outage. The new board after that was IPB, so in a lot of ways, this one is like coming home.

My inner puppy is still sniffing around though. B)

Yes, Only Mensa members may now post in Random.

Game / Spam Threads areas are the "Trailer Parks" of the Forum .. :D:D

And all societies have Trailer Parks, even though not all societies have Beach Front Property. or even Ivory Towers... :oB)

These threads are created by 13 different people, one person has created 4 of the most spam-like, and there are a few others that have created more than one. To top it off, many of the game thread creators are in the top 30 posters, especially the games with the most replies. But—some of these people who have created these threads I don’t know because they only post in these kinds of threads, or the mass majority of their posts are in game threads.

I just see a pattern here…

1. Song Name Game—21 pages and 1542 replies, AND there are like three active threads in this forum already that play this exact game.

2. Word association-- :rolleyes: just :rolleyes:

3. Let’s play Atlas!—a total of 7 pages and 540 replies :huh:

4. The person above you thread—3 pages, 247 replies

5. What r listenin 2—2 pages, 164 replies

6. What are you wearing?—3 pages, 287 replies

7. What are you washing in the laundry?—4 pages, 544 replies (and has actual discussions going)

8. Beautiful Men—4 pages, 75 replies (created discussion)

9. Corrupt-A-Wish Game—2 pages, 35 replies

10. The Hair Thread: Talk about your hair—3 pages, 51 replies

11. Guess the Movie Quote Thread—2 pages, 20 replies

12. Food: talk about food—5 pages, 86 replies

Page

13. Post a Random Picture Thread—2 pages, 36 replies

14. A-Z movies—1 page, 6 replies

15. Beautiful Women Thread—4 pages, 67 replies

16. Random Lyric Thread—2 pages, 21 replies (one of the better games, IMO)

17. What colour is your toothbrush?—2 pages, 21 replies

18. The Shout Out thread-1 page, 0 replies

19. The Add A Verse or Original Lyric Thread—1, 0 replies (this one requires imagination—no wonder why there’s not replies…:sarcasm: )

20. Beautiful Women—1 page, 1 reply

Yay, my thread's part of this spamness. Which makes me part of the pattern! Yay! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Archived