Sugar Mama (unused track) WHY?

ok has enyone heard the unused track "Sugar Mama" ?

well i have and it is an AMAZING song ( but everything from zep is amazing anyways :P)

i just rly wanna kno why led zep didn't actually use the track? cuz it's rly good!! they should have put it on coda at least..... it has a rly good riff too :)

here's the link if you haven't heard it yet

First off, type like you are talking here, not if you are texting or im'ing.

It was not used because at that time the song was considered a "slight retread" of previous material and the band was going forward past that sort of song structure.

well i have and it is an AMAZING song ( but everything from zep is amazing anyways :P)

i just rly wanna kno why led zep didn't actually use the track? cuz it's rly good!! they should have put it on coda at least..... it has a rly good riff too :)

Oh yeah one of my top 10 songs,I JUST LOVE THAT GROOVE!!!

i just rly wanna kno why led zep didn't actually use the track?

Because it's vastly inferior to everything else they recorded. It sounds like a half-finished idea that they decided to record when they had a few extra minutes at the end of a session. The lyrics sound like they were written on the spot.

Because it's vastly inferior to everything else they recorded. It sounds like a half-finished idea that they decided to record when they had a few extra minutes at the end of a session. The lyrics sound like they were written on the spot.

No worse however than Darlene or Ozone Baby...

I agree does anybody have any more information on Sugar Mama , year of recording and is it a original song?

It was recorded in June 1969 at Morgan Studios for the Led Zeppelin II album. It is a cover of a Sonny Boy Williamson song, which is why it wasn't on the album (typically when they cover someone they change the name or do something so they can add their names to the credits).

This song reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiL1sjGIcew.

Sugar mama, sugar mama, sugar mama,

Where you been?

Where you been?

Sugar mama!

Say you love me sugar mama

Ill never let you go

Love you babe

Drive me insane

Sugar mama gonna love you all I can

Ill never let you go

Ill never let you go

Ill never let you go

No, it isn't.

You're right; Sonny Boy Williamson's lyrics are different.

Sugar mama, sugar mama

Sugar mama please come back to me

Sugar mama, sugar mama

Sugar mama please come back to me

Bring me my 'gradulated' sugar

Sugar mam, an try to ease my misery

You've got this new grade of sugar

Sugar mama, an you done made me love it, too

You've got this new grade of sugar

Sugar mama, an you done made me love it, too

You've got this 'gradulated' sugar

Sugar mama, ain't nobody else got, but you

They been braggin' 'bout your sugar

Sugar mama, been braggin' all ov'r town

They been braggin' 'bout your sugar

Sugar mama, braggin' all ov'r town

Now, the boot-leggers want you to sell 'em enough to make whiskey

But you won't sell 'em about four or five pounds

I like my coffee sweet in the mornin'

You know, an I'm crazy 'bout my tea at night

An I like my coffee sweet in the mornin'

You know, an I'm crazy 'bout my tea at night

Don't give me my sugar three times a day

Oh, Lord, then I an feel right.

No, it isn't.

You're right; Sonny Boy Williamson's lyrics are different.

It is, however Zeppelin (most likely Plant) have shown a tendency to change the original lyrics (Travelling Riverside Blues). At any rate, my source for this information is Nigel Williamson's book "THE ROUGH GUIDE to Led Zeppelin." It came out in late 2007. Here is the direct quote:

Sugar Mama

A cover of a Sonny Boy Williamson song recorded in June 1969 at Morgan Studios for Led Zeppelin II but not included on the album. "Where you been? Sugar mama! Say you love me sugar mama, I'll never let you go!", Plant wails in fine form. The track can be found on the bootleg CD Alternative Coda

Here is a version of Sonny Boy Williamson's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3RBb-tSs2E, and it sounds lyrically and musically different from Led Zeppelin's song.

That may be so, but that doesn't mean it didn't originate from Sonny Boy Williamson's song. Travelling Riverside Blues doesn't really sound like the Robert Johnson original, nor does it have the same lyrics, but it's still considered a cover.

That may be so, but that doesn't mean it didn't originate from Sonny Boy Williamson's song.

Nor does it mean that it did originate from Williamson's song. And BTW, this is John Lee Williamson we're talking about here, not the Sonny Boy who was the inspiration for other Zep covers.

Travelling Riverside Blues doesn't really sound like the Robert Johnson original, nor does it have the same lyrics, but it's still considered a cover.

It's considered a cover because most of the lyrics were written by Robert Johnson. The same can't be said for Zep's "Sugar Mama". There were half a dozen blues songs with "Sugar Mama" in the title or lyrics -- how do you know that Zep's song wasn't inspired by one of those other songs?

Nor does it mean that it did originate from Williamson's song. And BTW, this is John Lee Williamson we're talking about here, not the Sonny Boy who was the inspiration for other Zep covers.

It's considered a cover because most of the lyrics were written by Robert Johnson. The same can't be said for Zep's "Sugar Mama". There were half a dozen blues songs with "Sugar Mama" in the title or lyrics -- how do you know that Zep's song wasn't inspired by one of those other songs?

Because Nigel Williamson is an extremely reliable source on the matter.

Sugar Mama is a commonly used song title; the lyrics may vary from song to song. Beyonce has a song called Sugar Mama that is more current. It's safe to say the lyrics are decidedly different in her song.

For those unfamiliar with American candy, the original Jolly Rancher is a brand of hard bar-shaped candy that is meant to be sucked; if you bite the candy it will stick to your mouth. It comes in many flavors, some of which are cherry, sour apple, and watermelon. With it's popularity over the years it expanded into softer varieties such as gummies and jelly beans also.

And of course, many of us are familiar with waffle cones.

I'ma be like a jolly rancher that you get from the corner store

I'ma be like a waffle cone that's dripping down to the floor

164109263_457922.gif164122747_893739.gif

And BTW, this is John Lee Williamson we're talking about here, not the Sonny Boy who was the inspiration for other Zep covers.

Oh, so it came from the other Williamson. You gotta watch those Williamsons as they can get to be a little confusing.

Archived