Hypothetical Question: Would you enlist in your own army?

Bonham

Would you...  

37 members have voted

1. 1. ...join the army/military?

• Yes, sir!
    • Noooo!
    • Maybe...
    • I'd remove my trigger finger by any means necessary
    • Only if my country really needed me to
    • Only if my country's cause for war was acceptable to my views
    • Other

So, here's the scenario; The World has been pulled into another World War, or a very large war that your country is directly involved in, wether they started it, or if you're being invaded, and you're the proper age and everything, nothing limits you from joining and defending your country. So, the big question is, would you volunteer for the army? Or whatever it is you want to be in, navy, airforce, marching band etc, to protect your people, and it's people.

Edit: And now for something completely different; a tribute to the growing number of war and misery threads in here --

"War..... oof! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing! Sing it again, brother. War.... oof! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing!!"

Absolutely! I told my son, that is the ONLY time I would want him to ...in essence...kill people. I'm against going into foreign countries. It's THEIR problem, and I know the argument thank-you. To protect our home land yes. I know my son would. I'm a wee old to be of too much help. But I would help in any way I could.

NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!

War is shit, no matter, why it did start, and I think I'd rather die than kill a person whose only fault is to be born in the wrong land!

Why don't we keep peace and talk instead of shooting eachother down!?!? :hippy::rant: :rant:

I think what he meant was if they were at your front door, in which case, you pretty much don't have a choice but to protect your family.

War is worth absolutely nuthin'...but if people were invading, say my hood...I'd have no choice. I'd protect my kids first and foremost by any means possible.

Heres some things to think about.....

What if all the other able-bodied men and women were joining?

What if the enemy were committing horrible atrocities?

What if your country were being invaded?

What if your own country were invading and committing horrible atrocities?

What if they put a gun to your head?

What if being a civilian were simply an incredible bore and being in the army gave you a better lifestyle?

What if joining gave you benefits (Free college, extra pay, loot, land, etc)?

What if your country were losing terribly?

What if the other country were losing so bad that your country's army wouldn't even need the extra men to finish the job?

What if you were allowed to go in at a very high rank?

What if you had to go in at a very low rank?

What if your family and friends were pro-war?

What if your family and friends were anti-war?

What if the war were simply a waste of time and money?

What if you thought war is fun? (You know who you are...)

What if you wanted to go down in history for deeds on the battlefield?

What if you had family or friends in the opposite country that needed your help?

What if the country your own country is invading had friends and family in it at all?

What if you joined your country's army, and the moderators threatened to suspend or ban your profile?

Oh and, what if you already were in the military prior to the declaration of war?

I voted before I read the thread...whoops

Anyways, I'd enlist for sure if it was a World War and my country really needed me. If it looked like we would win for sure...then no. I'd rather live and help people here then die for an already won cause

No. It isn't that I'm against war, but I'm just not a violent person, not that everyone in the Army is. I'm just not that way. I'm not totally against war, but here's what I think should happen. They should get x amount of people from each country. Let's just say 500 from the US and 500 from Britain. (I'm not saying anything about British people, just the first country to come to mind.) They should then be sent off to a deserted island and left to fight. Whoever is left with the most amount of people wins. There are plenty of people who would willingly die for their country, I however am not one of them.

No. It isn't that I'm against war, but I'm just not a violent person, not that everyone in the Army is. I'm just not that way. I'm not totally against war, but here's what I think should happen. They should get x amount of people from each country. Let's just say 500 from the US and 500 from Britain. (I'm not saying anything about British people, just the first country to come to mind.) They should then be sent off to a deserted island and left to fight. Whoever is left with the most amount of people wins. There are plenty of people who would willingly die for their country, I however am not one of them.

You'd have us, the British people sent to a remote island to fight it out like savages and barbarians? Most certainly not, good day to you.

:P

NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!

War is shit, no matter, why it did start, and I think I'd rather die than kill a person whose only fault is to be born in the wrong land!

Why don't we keep peace and talk instead of shooting eachother down!?!? :hippy::rant: :rant:

Because unfortunately, that's not even remotely realistic. No matter how much we hate it, there will always be wars.

And to answer the question- I would certainly enlist if it was for an honest reason, to protect our country. Not the shit like what's going on now.

You'd have us, the British people sent to a remote island to fight it out like savages and barbarians? Most certainly not, good day to you.

:P

:P But......it would be so entertaining!

Break for tea!

(That's a joke, son. Please no withering glances)

:P But......it would be so entertaining!

Break for tea!

(That's a joke, son. Please no withering glances)

:hysterical:

Did I hear you right? You call me "son"? :o

You're picking up the linguo, for sure. But you used "son" in the wrong context, and anyway, you don't want a handsome young man like me to be your son, do you. :P

As for tea break, definitely. Even if we are reduced to savage tactics and animilistic brutality, we must always, always stop for tea. It's the only thing that will keep us sane out in that island. Let's just pray to god that one of the island's natural produce is tea leaves.

:hysterical:

Did I hear you right? You call me "son"? :o

You're picking up the linguo, for sure. But you used "son" in the wrong context, and anyway, you don't want a handsome young man like me to be your son, do you. :P

As for tea break, definitely. Even if we are reduced to savage tactics and animilistic brutality, we must always, always stop for tea. It's the only thing that will keep us sane out in that island. Let's just pray to god that one of the island's natural produce is tea leaves.

:lol: I used that phrase because I heard it somewhere years ago (probably on tv), and I say it to anyone (old/young, male/female) just because I am a little flaky. OKAY???!!!!! :P

Just remember, every day is Christmas in heaven ;):banana:

Now back to your animalistic brutality!

Hell NO!!!!!!!!!

If I have my own army I demand to be a defacto member! :angry:

*Enlist...., I don't know what these people are on.*

Thank you sir.

Thank you for slapping the faces of every enlisted solider and ex-enlisted veteran out there. God forbid they try to help out their country

Just remember. those of you who voted not to fight for their country.

If we lose the war, then whoever beat us are now coming for you yellow backs.

If we win the war, then we are coming for you.

So if you don't fight you lose whatever happens!!!

Thank you sir.

Thank you for slapping the faces of every enlisted solider and ex-enlisted veteran out there. God forbid they try to help out their country

Read my tongue in cheek post again....it obviously parted your hair as it went over your head. B)

:lol:

Indeed it did and I do apologize. I've been in a bad mood today and I guess I just missed most of the post, my bad :hippy:

It's all good....seems like a lot of people have been in a bad mood so far on this three day weekend.

Chin up brother! :beer:

If the russians go over the border I have very little choice.

But even if I had a choice, I whould go to war, if it is a good one, like WW2.

but not for something like iraq, afghanistan or vietnam for that matter.

Archived