Hypothetical Question: Would you enlist in your own army?

Bonham

Would you...  

37 members have voted

1. 1. ...join the army/military?

• Yes, sir!
    • Noooo!
    • Maybe...
    • I'd remove my trigger finger by any means necessary
    • Only if my country really needed me to
    • Only if my country's cause for war was acceptable to my views
    • Other

The troops are living this reality. They are training for war, and have to face war. They make extreme sacrifices from day one in the military, and the stress level is extreme. When the public doesn't support the war, it causes severe damage to the troops. There is nothing worse than being in a war, risking your life, and realizing that people don't support what you are doing. Those people are a poison to the troops. There is no way to support the troops, yet be against the war.

There is no other way around it. Imagine being a soldier, and someone comes up and says to you "I support you and the troops, but I am against the war." WHAT?

uhhhh, the spouse is currently in the military and what you are spouting is a bunch of spoon fed propaganda perpetrated by a bunch of right wing fascists bent on controlling your thought processes!!!

we do not support this war, yet we ARE the troops! my husband has served for 16 yrs...so don't ever say there is no way to support the troops and not the war...simply not true!!! i support my husband's job and everything that goes along with it. i also support and assist all the other wives in any way i can.

you know full well that the troops vows to OBEY the president, not support him!!! and you know full well there are MANY troops who do not support this war, so please do not claim to speak for all of them as it is a disservice to those troops around you and you are not supporting those troops by spouting this b.s.

when someone comes up to us and says they support the troops and not the war, we say "thank you so much! please do everything you can to stop this madness!"

so please stop disregarding those members...it's just not very supportive of the troops!!

:wave: hi drunk, we meet again!!!

in the process of joining the Canadian Reserves and do not regret it one bit. I'm just waiting for the N.W.O to take affect so i can be a part of everyones army :). Just to let you guys know, Iran is riding a tight line. I'm surprised the United states/the world has not taken part in controlling them/put the nation in line. Ahmadinejad and his buddies are up to no good . THEY SUPPLY ARMS FOR THE IRAQI INSURGENTS. which means that they are taking part in the process of killing the good guys. what does Enriching Uranium for no apparent reason tell you?(think about it...take a second).

The only criticism i have towards the Iraq war is that it's strategic efforts were poor. Only now with the surge, are things getting better. Also I think a civil war was put at halt in the process. (Sunni & shi'ah). Take Lebanon for example. Sunni and Shi'ah killing each other. Both part of islam. I don't see any Evangelicals at war with the Roman Catholics or the Mormons. ok ya...maybe in the past with the separation of the churches, but look at it now. No hatred/killings on each other over spiritual beliefs.

Until i see woman and children of the middle east and woman and children of other countries near by, being treated with respect and dignity, (Don't get me wrong there has been some improvement...but...)...We must Rebel/shed some light.

propaganda like that always makes me think that advertisers rearly go to war.

and they crack me up. :D

Actually that's not propaganda, I edited that myself and that is how I as an American feel about our keepers of freedom. It's one of those things that some cannot appreciate until they lose it!

So, here's the scenario; The World has been pulled into another World War, or a very large war that your country is directly involved in, wether they started it, or if you're being invaded, and you're the proper age and everything, nothing limits you from joining and defending your country. So, the big question is, would you volunteer for the army? Or whatever it is you want to be in, navy, airforce, marching band etc, to protect your people, and it's people.

Edit: And now for something completely different; a tribute to the growing number of war and misery threads in here --

"War..... oof! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing! Sing it again, brother. War.... oof! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing!!"

Never. I love my principles more than my country. As a matter of fact, I love my principles more than ANY country.

uhhhh, the spouse is currently in the military and what you are spouting is a bunch of spoon fed propaganda perpetrated by a bunch of right wing fascists bent on controlling your thought processes!!!

we do not support this war, yet we ARE the troops! my husband has served for 16 yrs...so don't ever say there is no way to support the troops and not the war...simply not true!!! i support my husband's job and everything that goes along with it. i also support and assist all the other wives in any way i can.

you know full well that the troops vows to OBEY the president, not support him!!! and you know full well there are MANY troops who do not support this war, so please do not claim to speak for all of them as it is a disservice to those troops around you and you are not supporting those troops by spouting this b.s.

when someone comes up to us and says they support the troops and not the war, we say "thank you so much! please do everything you can to stop this madness!"

so please stop disregarding those members...it's just not very supportive of the troops!!

:wave: hi drunk, we meet again!!!

Yeah, what branch is he in and what is his job?

That answers my question, and is just what I expected.

The Navy isn't "fighting" these wars. The US Army and the Marine Corps are. Specifically, the combat arms troops. Infantry mainly, along with other supporting elements such as tankers, engineers, cav scouts, etc.

Sorry, but there is not much else to say.

If Canada itself was invaded, I'd protect it. Otherwise, I don't think I'd get involved.

No offense I love Canada but by the time that happens there won't be anything left to fight for.

The Navy isn't "fighting" these wars. The US Army and the Marine Corps are. Specifically, the combat arms troops. Infantry mainly, along with other supporting elements such as tankers, engineers, cav scouts, etc.

I hope you read this, Drunk. Even though I think you are a paranoid asshole and you think I am a liberal idiot and we'll pretty much never agree on anything, I owe you an apology. Tonight I am watching a Memorial Day tribute to the troops, and remembering a terrible comment I made to you. It was a sarcastic comment about you "defending our freedom," and I apologize for it. It was a disrespectful thing to say to somone who has served, because no matter how we feel about things, you have done something I can't imagine doing and I thank you for it.

It's not just the US pal.

Well, I guess I can't get too upset with you. I would be fooling myself to think anyone can really understanding what is going except a few of us that have been over there.

It's fairly easy to be foolish with words.

Thanks though.

Yes I would enlist, however now I am much too old. Although maybe I could join a militia or something.

But in all seriousness, one of my biggest regrets is that I did not enlist in the military back when I was 18. Not that there was a war back then (Vietnam had ended a few years earlier). But since I didn't really do anything too worthy between 18 and 22, I wish I could at least say that I had served.

I did happily register for the selective service as soon as I turned 18. At the time there was a chance that we might have been going to war with Iran over the hostages. And when then President Jimmy Carter and Congress asked for the selective service system to be reactivated, I was resigned to the idea that it might be necessary to serve. And I was willing to do so had there been a war.

I have the greatest respect for anyone who has served either during war time or not.

Well, I guess I can't get too upset with you. I would be fooling myself to think anyone can really understanding what is going except a few of us that have been over there.

It's fairly easy to be foolish with words.

Thanks though.

I fully understand what's going on in Iraq & Afghanistan you only have to watch the nightly news.

What with suicide bombers not only killing their own people but the "ALLIES" as well.

FYI Australians have peacekeeping forces in East Timor & The Solomon Islands.

I support the war on terrorism and "ALL" troops everywhere fighting the good fight.

Just because I support itdoesn't mean I like it.

So before you get all jingoistic about the war being fought only by the US Army & Marines, remember there are troops from all over the free world fighting for democracy.

When "The Coalition Of The Willing" took Baghdad guess who was at the forefront,

Australian SAS troops, something acknowledge by the US military command.

Anyone who enlists in the military knows they could be put in harms way.

No I'm not a soldier, however when I was 14 I joined my school cadet corp simillar to

ROTC.

We learnt to speak Vietnamese and how to fight guerilla jungle warfare.

In 1972 if not for a change of government I would have been called up (drafted) for national service and would have gone to Vietnam.

I love my country and support our troops but I'll be damned if someone tries to tell me that the US are the only ones making sacrifices.

As you said it is fairly easy to be foolish with words.

I fully understand what's going on in Iraq & Afghanistan you only have to watch the nightly news.

What with suicide bombers not only killing their own people but the "ALLIES" as well.

I support the war on terrorism and "ALL" troops everywhere fighting the good fight.

So before you get all jingoistic about the war being fought only by the US Army & Marines, remember there are troops from all over the free world fighting for democracy.

When "The Coalition Of The Willing" took Baghdad guess who was at the forefront,

No I'm not a soldier, however when I was 14 I joined my school cadet corp simillar to

ROTC.

In 1972 if not for a change of government I would have been called up (drafted) for national service and would have gone to Vietnam.

I love my country and support our troops but I'll be damned if someone tries to tell me that the US are the only ones making sacrifices.

Lol I like you're use of that word, you see down here in Louisiana that's a word we use to describe people that cannot be taught so they have to be Learnt! :lol:

Lol I like you're use of that word, you see down here in Louisiana that's a word we use to describe people that cannot be taught so they have to be Learnt! :lol:

Hi Y'all,

Nice to talk to someone from N'orlens.

I hope you and your family are coping after Katrina.

ROTC.

That is my mistake. I know full well that the Australians as well as others have been involved in a significant way.

exactly as i thought... because you can not defend your position, you merely change the subject...

i'll refresh your memory...we were discussing your lack of support for the troops and now we can add your disregard for any troop that is not in a foxhole...shame on you!

exactly as i thought... because you can not defend your position, you merely change the subject...

i'll refresh your memory...we were discussing your lack of support for the troops and now we can add your disregard for any troop that is not in a foxhole...shame on you!

Oh stop. :rolleyes:

Don't try to reverse this.

You want to make it seem like you have some clear point of view, as if you are living in this reality. Your husband is a "Navy aviator". Sorry, but you don't have a clue.

The Navy is not fighting this war, so what makes you think you have any idea what the FUCK is going?

Oh stop. :rolleyes:

Don't try to reverse this.

You want to make it seem like you have some clear point of view, as if you are living in this reality. Your husband is a "Navy aviator". Sorry, but you don't have a clue.

The Navy is not fighting this war, so what makes you think you have any idea what the FUCK is going?

uhhh yes he did...and currently is (the afganistan one,remember that one?)...you sir are sadly mistaken...he also has served in 4 deployments to iraq and 1 to saudi arabia...

...and if i am correct in reading the threads you were the one who was saying that it was impossible to support the troops and not the war and i was here to set the record straight

... there are many in the military that do not support the war in iraq and yet we are here everyday supporting all of our friends and families that are here with us no matter how they feel about the war...we do not exclude our support for them even if they are for the war...we support ALL of the troops...

...just don't ever say that you can not support the troops without supporting the war or i will call you on it.

... you do not have a market on ALL of the answers as you try to portray merely because you are in the military.

uhhh yes he did...and currently is (the afganistan one,remember that one?)...you sir are sadly mistaken...he also has served in 4 deployments to iraq and 1 to saudi arabia...

...and if i am correct in reading the threads you were the one who was saying that it was impossible to support the troops and not the war and i was here to set the record straight

... there are many in the military that do not support the war in iraq and yet we are here everyday supporting all of our friends and families that are here with us no matter how they feel about the war...we do not exclude our support for them even if they are for the war...we support ALL of the troops...

...just don't ever say that you can not support the troops without supporting the war or i will call you on it.

... you do not have a market on ALL of the answers as you try to portray merely because you are in the military.

YOU ARE A NAVY WIFE. Sorry, but you have NO idea. Goodnight.

Archived