Hypothetical Question: Would you enlist in your own army?

Bonham

Would you...  

37 members have voted

1. 1. ...join the army/military?

• Yes, sir!
    • Noooo!
    • Maybe...
    • I'd remove my trigger finger by any means necessary
    • Only if my country really needed me to
    • Only if my country's cause for war was acceptable to my views
    • Other

YOU ARE A NAVY WIFE. Sorry, but you have NO idea. Goodnight.

Didn't the navy aviators soften up the enemy before the ground troops went into Baghdad and weren't they susceptible to being shot down by anti aircraft batteries?

If needs be they would be the first to provide support for the ground troops, so Drunk you should be thankful in knowing they are there should you ever need them.

God bless the wives and husbands of all service personnel who have to put up with the stress of not knowing how their loved ones are faring over there.

This petty bickering between the services reminds me of a scene from a movie in the The Last Detail with Jack Nicholson.

He is a sailor taking a leak in a bus terminal toilet standing next to a marine.

The marine says, "It must be a pain trying to take a piss with all those buttons on your pants."

To which Jack replies, "Yeah, but all a marine has to do is take off his hat!"

If you are still over there Drunk, I pray you return home safely to your loved ones.

Marolyn I hope your husband is home to you too very soon along with all the fine & brave young men & women from all countries serving as one.

Steve, it is more likely that a Navy ship gets struck by lighting, than an incident like that happening.

I invite you to respect the fact it did happen. Please do not denigrate the service of naval personnel nor their families.

Please do not denigrate the service of naval personnel nor their families.

I've done no such thing.

The bottom line is that there is a person here trying to speak for the "troops" who is neither a "troop" herself, nor is in contact with anyone who is. The association that this person is claiming to have, which is to a "naval aviator", is insignificant. These wars are being fought by combat arms ground troops. A Naval Officer doesn't have the least bit of an idea of what is happening on the ground, and nor do most of the Navy personnel for that matter.

I've done no such thing.

The bottom line is that there is a person here trying to speak for the "troops" who is neither a "troop" herself, nor is in contact with anyone who is. The association that this person is claiming to have, which is to a "naval aviator", is insignificant. These wars are being fought by combat arms ground troops. A Naval Officer doesn't have the least bit of an idea of what is happening on the ground, and nor do most of the Navy personnel for that matter.

I believe she is speaking for herself. Regardless, that's no excuse for denigrating the

service of naval personnel or their families, as you continue to do here. If anything,

your posts are merely confirming you either cannot or are unwilling to discuss this conflict in any context outside of your own personal experiences. I can only encourage

you to be more open-minded to other points of view. Agreement is not mandatory

and you just might learn something new.

I believe she is speaking for herself. Regardless, that's no excuse for denigrating the

service of naval personnel or their families, as you continue to do here. If anything,

your posts are merely confirming you either cannot or are unwilling to discuss this conflict in any context outside of your own personal experiences. I can only encourage

you to be more open-minded to other points of view. Agreement is not mandatory

and you just might learn something new.

This person is claiming to be a voice for the "troops" yet she isn't one, and she has no real connections to those those who are on the ground.

There is not much more to say.

I volunteered for the Army during Vietnam and I can say, from personal experience, that to the troops on the ground, supporting the troops means supporting the mission. Moral was severely adversely affected by the anti-war activity's back home during my service. I've heard the same story from many current troops who keep re-uping and going back to fight for what they believe is important, and don't feel supported by those who say " I support the troops but not the war". This is a meaningless phrase to us.

When in the service you don't get to choose your wars you just follow orders and do the best you can. You want to think the people back home support WHAT YOU ARE DOING. If you don't support the mission that's your prerogative but you can't have it both ways.

This person is claiming to be a voice for the "troops" yet she isn't one, and she has no real connections to those those who are on the ground.

There is not much more to say.

whoa, i don't know where to begin...

...i am going to say it one more time...you can not tell me that you can not support the troops without supporting the war...

...i am army prior enlisted (of course you feel my service was meaningless because i never served in a foxhole.) am married to a navy officer who has fought in combat, my brother is cav at camp stryker, and all of my friends (i hesitate calling them friends because really they are like family)are in the military...yet of course, according to you, i have no right to claim any military affiliation...

...this notion that you must support the war in order to support the troops is a propaganda tool used to drum up support for the war and it's very sad to me that you can not read through that...

...fortunately there are many in the military who have seen through that nonsense and will continue to support ALL of the troops, even those who support the iraq war...even you, drunk!!! :D

...now if you'll excuse me, i have to go get ready for a farewell party i am hosting at my house for all the troops that are moving on to their next duty station...

I've done no such thing.

Hey Dont make to many negative statements about the Navy.I am retired U.S. NAVY and proud of it.

Those Ground Troops were not drafted this I know for sure and they picked the service they wanted.

I have had many of My friends killed on board thier safe Ships by Mines and A Excocet Missle in one case.War is a dangerous buisness and when you join the Military you need to be aware of the fact that you could be called upon to fight and Die for something you may or may not agree with.So if you are looking for a job or a education think about it there is a price for serving and if you are not up to it stay Home.

leansixsigmanavystyledesertstormSma.jpg

Desert Storm early 90's Not far from Jeddah Saudi Arabia

bt3almorangitmocubaussraliegh78.jpg

1979 Off the coast of Honduras during thier conflict

...i am going to say it one more time...you can not tell me that you can not support the troops without supporting the war...

...i am army prior enlisted (of course you feel my service was meaningless because i never served in a foxhole.) am married to a navy officer who has fought in combat, my brother is cav at camp stryker, and all of my friends (i hesitate calling them friends because really they are like family)are in the military...yet of course, according to you, i have no right to claim any military affiliation...

...this notion that you must support the war in order to support the troops is a propaganda tool used to drum up support for the war and it's very sad to me that you can not read through that...

...fortunately there are many in the military who have seen through that nonsense and will continue to support ALL of the troops, even those who support the iraq war...even you, drunk!!! :D

...now if you'll excuse me, i have to go get ready for a farewell party i am hosting at my house for all the troops that are moving on to their next duty station...

Sorry, but as Uncle Bill said, you can't have it both ways.

You can claim a military affiliation, but that doesn't mean you have a clue about what is going on.

You husband Naval officer. He is not on the ground. Your brother is in a place that is like a country club.

The notion that you can "support the troops but not support the war" is nothing more than a liberal excuse.

A person that feel obligated to support a war just becaouse they are afraid of

offending the troops, are stupid and don't help the troops even a little bit.

I visited Oslo a couple of times nice place.

Ignore DRUNK. His opinion is worth about as much as my socks.

Seriously, he's an idiot. Ignore him and his company. They're blind...and apparently ignorant of the topics of which they discuss

Ignore DRUNK. His opinion is worth about as much as my socks.

Seriously, he's an idiot. Ignore him and his company. They're blind...and apparently ignorant of the topics of which they discuss

Look at this "stud"...comes out of know where thinking he knows someone.

Let the People debate...cleanly that is.

ohh and i Don't think we need any help from "Geralds Game" either lol

Drunk just got a bit hot headed with Steve's Statement.

Also,I don't recall DRUNK degrading the Navy and it's members families in any way.

But.......his comment towards Marolyn about being a "Navy wife" was quite harsh.(someone seems very sketchy on getting a point accross...no offense) A comment like that is how wars are started.

Theres no use of us crying over Iraq anymore...If anything, we must show love and respect to the troops over there and the Vet's that are here.

ohh...&...The Navy is too busy in Burma/Myanmar...lol

One last thing...Does anyone see Iraq being a pathway towards Iran, where the real trouble is? Just a little guesstamate that came up.

Sorry, but as Uncle Bill said, you can't have it both ways.

You can claim a military affiliation, but that doesn't mean you have a clue about what is going on.

You husband Naval officer. He is not on the ground. Your brother is in a place that is like a country club.

The notion that you can "support the troops but not support the war" is nothing more than a liberal excuse.

not on the ground???...not relevent to the discussion, but you sir have no idea what you are talking about.

while im over here supporting the troops, where are you supporting the war? ...seems pretty cushy considering how much power they have running to your foxhole to run your computer.

One last thing...Does anyone see Iraq being a pathway towards Iran, where the real trouble is? Just a little guesstamate that came up.

No...

the US can't go invading every country it disagrees with...

Let Iran sort itself out. If Iran attains nuclear weapons, I'm sure Israel will take matters into its own hands. There's enough growing dissent in Iran for change to happen sooner or later. Remember, 30% of Iran's population is under the age of 18...And their enthusiasm for the system over there is not the highest.

The greatest weapon that the US has is its culture. Hollywood, McDonalds, Barbie and Beyoncé do more damage to culturally and socially oppressive regimes (including our own!) than bombs do...

Hey Dont make to many negative statements about the Navy.I am retired U.S. NAVY and proud of it.

Those Ground Troops were not drafted this I know for sure and they picked the service they wanted.

I have had many of My friends killed on board thier safe Ships by Mines and A Excocet Missle in one case.War is a dangerous buisness and when you join the Military you need to be aware of the fact that you could be called upon to fight and Die for something you may or may not agree with.So if you are looking for a job or a education think about it there is a price for serving and if you are not up to it stay Home.

hey al, sorry to hear about your friends...we also have lost several friends who have crashed while landing on the carrier and mechanical failures...it's an awful sinking feeling everytime you get a call to inform you there has been an incident even after they tell you your spouse was not involved...because you know somebody elses news is not as good as yours...

i am troubled by drunks lack of support for all of the troops, even my brother who is currently a cavalry scout on the front line...very sad.

hey al, sorry to hear about your friends...we also have lost several friends who have crashed while landing on the carrier and mechanical failures...it's an awful sinking feeling everytime you get a call to inform you there has been an incident even after they tell you your spouse was not involved...because you know somebody elses news is not as good as yours...

i am troubled by drunks lack of support for all of the troops, even my brother who is currently a cavalry scout on the front line...very sad.

In life you will always find some who have done nothing but talk a lot not saying that is the case here but the Navy may not be eating sand they are however as much at risk as any other branch of service.A Ship or Plane is a prize target for any enemy . I dont know this fella and I dont like to make snap judgements on people but I felt like a direct attack on the Navy was a personal attack on Me and Mine.

In life you will always find some who have done nothing but talk a lot not saying that is the case here but the Navy may not be eating sand they are however as much at risk as any other branch of service.A Ship or Plane is a prize target for any enemy . I dont know this fella and I dont like to make snap judgements on people but I felt like a direct attack on the Navy was a personal attack on Me and Mine.

also, many fail to realize or appreciate that it is the navy that has been deploying to iraq nonstop since the first gulf war...just dropped off the headlines

...they also do ground tours through expeditionary squadrons

No...

the US can't go invading every country it disagrees with...

Let Iran sort itself out. If Iran attains nuclear weapons, I'm sure Israel will take matters into its own hands. There's enough growing dissent in Iran for change to happen sooner or later. Remember, 30% of Iran's population is under the age of 18...And their enthusiasm for the system over there is not the highest.

The greatest weapon that the US has is its culture. Hollywood, McDonalds, Barbie and Beyoncé do more damage to culturally and socially oppressive regimes (including our own!) than bombs do...

LOL Israel is basically one with the states. Israel wont be able to handle things on their own(No offense). Iran sorting itself out seems like a toughy. How can people stay calm when you have a country like Iran continuously talk about annihilation the jew's?

not on the ground???...not relevent to the discussion, but you sir have no idea what you are talking about.

while im over here supporting the troops, where are you supporting the war? ...seems pretty cushy considering how much power they have running to your foxhole to run your computer.

Yes, your husband is not on the ground. The most he'll get to the "ground" is maybe in an air conditioned personal trailer eating food better than he can probably get from home. And it is relevant to the discussion.

I have already been to Iraq and I am US Army Infantry. You are a Navy spouse. Let's just end this "discussion".

Look at this "stud"...comes out of know where thinking he knows someone.

I've been reading his same damn posts for the last few years. I know him better than most apparently

Let the People debate...cleanly that is.

Which he's yet to do. He never does, nor will he.

I only commented because he's an ignorant ass and most of us see that, except you I guess

And yes, I am a stud

Archived