Jounrney....

moffo

I was wondering if anyone has been watching Journey recently, they are playing Manchester in June along with Heart and wasn't sure if it would be the same, being without Steve Perry. If anyone has seen this tour so far or know about the new lead singer, let me know if it would be worth going to see... Cheers!!

All I know is they found their newest lead singer (yet another Perry soundalike) by holding auditions on YouTube.

Not exactly.

There were no "auditions" on youtube. Guitarist Neal Schon just happened to come across videos featuring their new singer, Arnel Pineda, while "surfing" the site, and then contacted him.

;^)

Not exactly.

There were no "auditions" on youtube. Guitarist Neal Schon just happened to come across videos featuring their new singer, Arnel Pineda, while "surfing" the site, and then contacted him.

;^)

Either way, they found their latest Perry clone through YouTube. Maybe I was thinking of another band that's held auditions via YouTube.

I keep hearing about these different shows like that, but have yet to actually watch any. Aren't they all vocal "talent", mostly? I'd check out some unknowns if the were demonstrating their instrumental prowess, especially blues. But that probably doesn't sell these days...

I keep hearing about these different shows like that, but have yet to actually watch any. Aren't they all vocal "talent", mostly? I'd check out some unknowns if the were demonstrating their instrumental prowess, especially blues. But that probably doesn't sell these days...

You aren't missing anything by not tuning in to crap like Rock Star (which got canceled before it could complete it's run but was picked by VH1 for it's final weeks, I believe). In regard to "instrumental prowess", speaking just for myself, I don't think that's a necessary ingredient to draw me to an artist. Sure it's great when a band can boast someone with immense talent on guitar, keys, drums, what have you but I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

You aren't missing anything by not tuning in to crap like Rock Star (which got canceled before it could complete it's run but was picked by VH1 for it's final weeks, I believe). .

speaking of rock star...

i watched it and thought that the girl "jordis" had an awesome voice...thought for sure we would be hearing more from her...

can't stand the original of this song...

The Reason

If you closed your eyes, it could be Steve Perry!!!! Very impressive...

How is finding a vocal clone of Steve Perry "impressive"? Wouldn't it be much more impressive if they moved on with another singer that didn't sound like him at all rather than trying to find someone that sounds just like Perry just to please the fans?

How is finding a vocal clone of Steve Perry "impressive"? Wouldn't it be much more impressive if they moved on with another singer that didn't sound like him at all rather than trying to find someone that sounds just like Perry just to please the fans?

Isn't it a good thing that the band will sound the same? If the band doesn't sound the same as it did originally, then you might as well change the name! I'm not saying it's right or wrong, everyone has an opinion and mine is that I would prefer a replacement singer to sound the same as the original.

Isn't it a good thing that the band will sound the same? If the band doesn't sound the same as it did originally, then you might as well change the name! I'm not saying it's right or wrong, everyone has an opinion and mine is that I would prefer a replacement singer to sound the same as the original.

The original version of Journey didn't even include Perry. When they changed lead singers they didn't try to find a Greg Rolie clone, they got Steve Perry. The current version of Journey is clearly a nostalgia act still coasting on it's past. That's why they've sought out Perry clones rather than trying to be more original by forging a new sound with a different singer. Do you think Zeppelin fans would be accepting of a lead vocalist that was nothing more than a Plant clone?

The original version of Journey didn't even include Perry. When they changed lead singers they didn't try to find a Greg Rolie clone, they got Steve Perry. The current version of Journey is clearly a nostalgia act still coasting on it's past. That's why they've sought out Perry clones rather than trying to be more original by forging a new sound with a different singer. Do you think Zeppelin fans would be accepting of a lead vocalist that was nothing more than a Plant clone?

It wouldn't be Zeppelin without Plant singing, would it??? That's one of the things that makes them special, his singing. Yes, he's done other projects, but he doesn't sing the same with the other bands as he does with Zeppelin. I don't think Zeppelin fans would accept someone trying to step into Plants' shoes, it just wouldn't be the same. And..... a very hypothetical question also as i can't see this situation ever arising, hopefully!!! LONG LIVE THE ZEP!!!

It wouldn't be Zeppelin without Plant singing, would it??? That's one of the things that makes them special, his singing. Yes, he's done other projects, but he doesn't sing the same with the other bands as he does with Zeppelin. I don't think Zeppelin fans would accept someone trying to step into Plants' shoes, it just wouldn't be the same. And..... a very hypothetical question also as i can't see this situation ever arising, hopefully!!! LONG LIVE THE ZEP!!!

By the same token, a Perry soundalike does not equal Journey.

I saw a segment on a sunday morning news show on this. Its a cool thing that that they found this particular singer, considering his background and story. I'm not a -journey fan, but its cool for the fans who want to hear the music. They played segments of the stuff he was singing, which included -black dog and it really showed how particular singers are for bands that click and work well sonically.

• 4 weeks later...

Check out the txt from the new "proto Journey" concert tape I just traded for:

Journey - Diamond Head Crater, Hawaii 1/1/73 - 1st GEN - COMPLETE!!

Journey (billed as Sears, Schon & Errico w/ Rolie guesting)

Sunshine Festival

Diamond Head Crater

Honolulu, HI

1/1/73

Pete Sears-bass

Neal Schon-guitar

Greg Errico-drums

+Gregg Rolie- keys

1) You're My Girl

2) Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

3) Tonight

4) Storm

5) Pirates of the Caribbean

6) Black Magic Woman

This thing ROCKS! This band was great for the first three albums then the went to shit like most rock bands in the late '70s!

Archived