Ghosts of Janis, Sid Haunt Chelsea Hotel Film

Jahfin

BY ANGELA DOLAND, Associated Press Writer

CANNES, France - Most documentaries stick with interviews of living people. But since this one's about New York's Chelsea Hotel and its rock 'n' roll aura, it seems natural that the ghosts of Janis Joplin and Sid Vicious turn up.

For "Chelsea on the Rocks," which premiered Friday at the Cannes Film Festival, director Abel Ferrara ("Bad Lieutenant") strung together archival footage and interviews of the artists, writers and actors who have lived there, in typical documentary fashion. He also hired actors to play Joplin and Vicious for trippy flashbacks.

To read the remainder of the article click here.

Yawn yawn yawn. Old news. There have been apparently hauntings by Ratpack members too, and Marlyn in that one hotel she loved.

Also, if Sid's 15 mins is up, so should Janis' ... indeed :rolleyes:

Yawn yawn yawn. Old news. There have been apparently hauntings by Ratpack members too, and Marlyn in that one hotel she loved.

Also, if Sid's 15 mins is up, so should Janis' ... indeed :rolleyes:

How do you figure? Janis was talented, and helped change the face of music. What did Sid Vicious do, aside from die around peculiar circumstances.

While this may be "old news" to some it's the first I've heard of it. Not to mention, it's the documentary that is "news" anyway, not the sightings.

What did Sid Vicious do, aside from die around peculiar circumstances.

I'm no fan of punk rock or the Sex Pistols but there's no denying they were one of the most influential bands of all time.

I'm no fan of punk rock or the Sex Pistols but there's no denying they were one of the most influential bands of all time.

I was specifically talking about Sid Vicious himself. He didn't really contribute anything to the Pistols, aside from being a personality.

I was specifically talking about Sid Vicious himself. He didn't really contribute anything to the Pistols, aside from being a personality.

Well, none of them could play their respective instruments so contributions music-wise across the board were nil. That said, Sid wasn't really around long enough to contribute much of anything but in the short time he and the Sex Pistols were an active band they definitely made a huge impact.

Well, none of them could play their respective instruments so contributions music-wise across the board were nil. That said, Sid wasn't really around long enough to contribute much of anything but in the short time he and the Sex Pistols were an active band they definitely made a huge impact.

I think Sid was the worst of the bunch, in regards to contributing anything sound wise to the band. They supposedly turned his amps way down, as he didn't know how to play Bass. Second, He was there as a stage prop, or personality if anything, during their heyday.

Basically, what I'm saying is, yes, the sex pistols were influential. But Sid Vicious didn't do jack shit but give attitude to that band.

And in my eyes, they are sell-outs like the rest.

None of 'em could really play, much less Sid. As far as attitude, Rotten definitely had his fair share of that as well (and still does).

In regards to the Sex Pistols being "sell outs", they didn't really know it at the time but that was apparently part of the deal as the whole thing was orchestrated by their manager Malcolm McLaren. From what I've read this is what led to Rotten's infamous ""ever feel like you've been cheated?" comment at their last show.

Archived