Robert plant hoping to record second album

misty mountain

I do not think he is shit without Jimmy. I think he is better with Jimmy than without. As you say, the O2 performance proved it, once again.

Perhaps there is love in Page's actions towards Mr. Plant? I'm with you on that score, though. Of course I'd put it differently - it's time to give the ungrateful little lion a pat on the head and move on. One can keep the door open in the meantime; I see the wonder of devotion...

Plant's "current" project includes a huge number of old songs, including Zeppelin songs.

He loves himself some pretty old shit, too. Who's he to talk about what's artistically valid due to it having been done before? How is what he's doing for the right reasons, while what Jimmy's doing is for the wrong? I heard growth in Page's playing at the O2, for sure.

I am of the gang who thinks the actual reason Plant doesn't want to do it is because it's too much for his voice to keep up with the power of Zeppelin's music, as played by Zeppelin, and not a blue grass band. This is not a put down, it's just a statement. Singers age in different ways than musicians who play instruments.

Also, their touring scene in the 70s, and the events concurrent with it, were probably enough to put a man off his feed for several decades. But he's been touring constantly since, so it's not the act of touring that has him spooked. And it has been several decades.

I do understand the frustration of his position. But maybe Plant is missing the reasons people since 1982 keep on about Zeppelin? It's kind of like Steven Speilberg complaining that people keep going on about "Close Encounters;" like William Styron griping that people keep bugging him about "Sophie's Choice;" like Paul McCartney bitching that folks want him to do Beatles songs...

If he doesn't wanna, he doesn't wanna, fine. Why does he have to put down the people who appreciate the music? Because equating what people love with getting jerked off by a cheap massuese is really not all that humorous, honest.

I didn't say the 02 proved he was better with Jimmy. I said it showed they still had the chemistry. But I don't think he's better or worse. Raising Sand is an exploration of American roots music. So what if it's old? That has nothing to do with anything. As for him doing Zep songs live with Alison - they do three. It makes up a very SMALL part of the show. Robert's not wanting to rehash the past is more related to HIS past. It's not where he's at anymore and he wants to do other things. That they involve songs that are old is irrelevant. That he revisits Zep songs live is irrelevant. They're HIS songs too and he reworks them so much they often bear little resemblance to the original.

He hasn't ever said it's "wrong" for Page to want Zep. It's just not what Robert wants for Robert right now. There's no insulting anyone. I really think touring with Zep again has nothing to do with Robert being concerned he can't vocally handle the tour etc. It's no judgement against what the others want. Robert is speaking for what he wants or rather, doesn't want right now. But he didn't close the door completely if there were the right reasons.

No one will be happy. He'll reunite with Zep and everyone will bash him that he can't sing vocally. He won't reunite, he's selfish. He agrees to one off shows here and there, it's not fair they didn't hit their city. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I didn't say the 02 proved he was better with Jimmy. I said it showed they still had the chemistry. But I don't think he's better or worse. Raising Sand is an exploration of American roots music. So what if it's old? That has nothing to do with anything. As for him doing Zep songs live with Alison - they do three. It makes up a very SMALL part of the show. Robert's not wanting to rehash the past is more related to HIS past. It's not where he's at anymore and he wants to do other things. That they involve songs that are old is irrelevant. That he revisits Zep songs live is irrelevant. They're HIS songs too and he reworks them so much they often bear little resemblance to the original.

He hasn't ever said it's "wrong" for Page to want Zep. It's just not what Robert wants for Robert right now. There's no insulting anyone. I really think touring with Zep again has nothing to do with Robert being concerned he can't vocally handle the tour etc. It's no judgement against what the others want. Robert is speaking for what he wants or rather, doesn't want right now. But he didn't close the door completely if there were the right reasons.

No one will be happy. He'll reunite with Zep and everyone will bash him that he can't sing vocally. He won't reunite, he's selfish. He agrees to one off shows here and there, it's not fair they didn't hit their city. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You are entitled to your opinion, but Plant had made it an issue when he was touring with Jimmy (Page/Plant) and many feel it was a strain he could no longer handle. It has to be something he takes into consideration when thinking of NOT touring. It's a fact he cannot sing like he did, and to say it is not an issue, I feel is naive.

No one will be happy. He'll reunite with Zep and everyone will bash him that he can't sing vocally. He won't reunite, he's selfish. He agrees to one off shows here and there, it's not fair they didn't hit their city. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're right, it's me who thinks the O2 show proves again that Robert's at his best when he's doing Zeppelin. That is a subjective thing. I don't think what he does without Zeppelin is bad, I enjoy it, some of it I even love. But it ain't Zeppelin. For me, there's a qualitative difference, and that difference is the other people in the band.

It is bigger than he is.

So what if what he's doing is old and contains Zeppelin? So what is, he keeps pontificating that moving backwards is a bad thing to do artistically. You know, faking rebel yells, singing cabaret, going for the cheap high, touring for the sake of touring... he's moving up to higher ground, and all... and goodness knows his fans go on at length about him always moving forward.

Except he's constantly going backwards for inspiration. And more power to him... but it's hypocritical of him to criticize others for it at the same time. It's also ridiculous to use not wanting to go backwards as a reason for not working with Zeppelin, when he constantly goes backwards to Zeppelin, himself.

They are not HIS songs, alone. Sometimes they're not even his original lyrics, for heaven's sake! :rolleyes: That may be the biggest annoyance about this circumstance right now, that somehow it's ok for him to pirate the Zeppelin legacy, but there's no good reason to work with the living, breathing, talents of Bonham, Jones and Page? Wha?

Show me a song attritubed only to Robert Plant on a Zeppelin album. He's done some nice work rearranging them since the 70's, but (repeat after me) it's not Zeppelin.

Zeppelin is bigger than he is. And that is not a bad thing!

PS - I will be unequivocally happy if he tours with Zeppelin! :)

You are entitled to your opinion, but Plant had made it an issue when he was touring with Jimmy (Page/Plant) and many feel it was a strain he could no longer handle. It has to be something he takes into consideration when thinking of NOT touring. It's a fact he cannot sing like he did, and to say it is not an issue, I feel is naive.

I have to agree.

I think he can do it, with help and care and new material, as you've said.

(I appreciate the difficulty of what Plant did/does with Zeppelin a little bit more since watching those Foo Fighter's videos from over the weekend, I have to say. :D )

A second album might be a good thing. They may want to invite Jimmy Page over for tea though, just to keep things kinda peaceful-like.

This successful life we're livin's got us feudin' like the Hatfields and McCoys.

-Willie Nelson

The Hatfield-McCoy feud (1878–1891) is an account of American lore that has become a metaphor for bitterly feuding rival parties in general. It involved two warring families of the West Virginia-Kentucky backcountry along the Tug Fork River, off the Big Sandy River.

en.wikipedia.org

Feuding Hatfields, McCoys Sign Truce

AP ^ | Mon, Jun 16, 2003

Descendants of the Hatfield and McCoy families gathered Saturday in Pikeville to sign the truce, making a largely symbolic and official end to a feud that had claimed at least a dozen lives from the two mountain families.

"We ask by God's grace and love that we be forever remembered as those that bound together the hearts of two families to form a family of freedom in America," says the truce, signed by more than 60 descendants.

Reo Hatfield of Waynesboro, Va., came up with the idea as a proclamation of peace.

The broader message it sends to the world, he said, is that when national security is at risk, Americans put their differences aside and stand united. If these two feuding families can come together, anyone can, he said.

"We're not saying you don't have to fight because sometimes you do have to fight," Hatfield said. "But you don't have to fight forever."

The more than a century of feuding between the McCoys of Kentucky and Hatfields of West Virginia is believed to have its origins in a dispute over a pig. A court battle over timber rights escalated the tension in the 1870s, and by 1888, as many as a dozen lives were lost.

Kentucky Gov. Paul Patton and West Virginia Gov. Bob Wise also signed proclamations declaring June 14 Hatfield and McCoy Reconciliation Day.

180011606_1015349.gif

Notice: this is a discussion board. People with differing opinions may come here to discuss them, and to throw ideas back and forth, to see and post different points of view, to maybe even learn something and see things differently than when they started.

If you don't like that, what are you doing here?

(Seems to me the record is stuck on both turntables, anyway.)

Or maybe, some people like to have the last word.

Like this. ^_^

Notice: this is a discussion board. People with differing opinions may come here to discuss them, and to throw ideas back and forth, to see and post different points of view, to maybe even learn something and see things differently than when they started.

If you don't like that, what are you doing here?

(Seems to me the record is stuck on both turntables, anyway.)

Or maybe, some people like to have the last word.

Like this. ^_^

Just can't leave it can you. I was in fact aiming at the other people who are stuck in the same viewpoint about RP but you always seem to recognise yourself in my statement about someone else. I wonder why that is?

Perhaps you ought to read and grasp your own post. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was here long before you and will stay as long as I wish and do not need someone like you to suggest I shouldnt be here.

You bore the arse off me anyway :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I thank yew :P

I think it would not be fair to Allison Krauss if Robert Plant expresses any desire now to join Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham. After all, he signed up with her long before O2 and the much ballyhooed clamor for more reunion shows.

Name calling Allison Krauss as Yoko Ono is not fair. She did not butt in the scene while Led Zeppelin was STILL Led Zeppelin. There was no band to break up to begin with.

I do not think Led Zeppelin became What it was because of one member alone. I think it was a collaborative effort. Jimmy Page indeed was the genius behind it, Robert Plant provided the voice, John Bonham the snare, and what can I say John P Jones your backdoor man. Each one had the innate talent unmistakably theirs, and blended so right. That's what made Led Zep what it was and what it will be 100 years from now. Also the reason we will never hear Led Zep music playing in a circus show, or them join the reality show smut to make extra cash. I do not want to think what could have happened if they did not find each other cuz it didn't happen.

I love Robert Plant, I do think that along the way in his solo career he's benefitted in some way on the fame/music of Led Zep, whether purposely or unconsciously. So what. These were his songs too, he was Led Zep too. But he doesn't go around blasphemising it. If he gets asked about/for Led Zep on his solo gigs, that's unavoidable and happens whether he likes it or not. They may be the greatest rock musicians of our time, but they are businessmen after all (band players / assistants to pay, children to support, girlfriends what have you). If not then, there wouldn't have been any remastered DVD releases from Jimmy Page either. Who knows maybe by singin Led Zep songs in his shows is Plant's way of giving the fans what they hanker for, hey here's a Zep song for ya. True, Jimmy Page is not on guitar or not John Bonham on drums, but who sang it when you first heard it. Yeah man, you got the voice. I will leave Robert Plant alone to do his bit. If he falters ie it doesn't sell so be it. If he makes good, good for him. Same's true for Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones.

If they reform, praise Yallah. Thank heaven's stairway. For me, I just don't want Led Zeppelin be as commonplace. That's for lesser rock bands who have nothing more to offer but want still to make big bucks. Peter Grant made sure Led Zep was a league of their own. Robert Plant, as I see it, has been struggling to do that in his solo career, or he would have been pairing since 1983 with Madonna or the likes of her instead of the likes of Ms. Krauss. He said it in an interview in the 70's when asked about the band's success and I quote, "For Led Zeppelin it's about the music."

Just my bit.

Nice post, Robert's Plant.

The last one I shall read, because it is so tiresome to read the same argument, on both sides, over and over. I include myself in that. It has long since ceased to be a discussion, and has become a slanging match, a psychodrama in which Plant is the demon and Jimmy the angel. Well, they're both brilliant and they're both flawed, and there's absolutely no way of knowing what they would have been musically without each other, or the other two, speculate how we may. (I have my opinion on that, of course, duly stated.)

I gave this board six months to settle down after the O2. But between the knowalls and the know-nothings, the pedophiles and the nutcases, the people who go out of their way to be offended and the people who are so naive they hardly seem to know which band we're talking about, this has continued to be the most unpleasant forum I belong to. Thus I gracefully retire. :wave:

I think it would not be fair to Allison Krauss if Robert Plant expresses any desire now to join Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham.

Alison is owed nothing.She is nearly 40 years old and she used the term once if you can`t take the heat get out of the Fire. She made the choice to enter into this it is nobody`s fault but hers.

What a pretentious post, you have proof that her son gets zero do you?

How many musicians/movie stars/politicians/everyday working people spend all their other waking time with their kids? When or if you have kids, you wil take them towork with you so that they have contact all the time ? No you won't.

How do you know her son isn't with her during this tour?

How is Robert selfish? I have seen his son Jess at the side of the stage at Strange Sensations shows and in the support band at one show and no doubt he's been to the RP/AK shows too. His kids are very important to him and I bet Alisons son is too.

You can't say that she is definitiely sacrificing her child. You don't know what arrangements are in place for them.

I read post# 192 that you responded to .You are twisting words.That person did not say a word about Jesse ,who has a Mother and he is nearly the same age Robert was when he got out on his own. It is true just because Celebs have excess wealth shouldn`t entitle them to get away with what the gov. does to poor woman and their childeren In America. You Mr .ledded1 are an insensitive jerk.

I read post# 192 that you responded to .You are twisting words.That person did not say a word about Jesse ,who has a Mother and he is nearly the same age Robert was when he got out on his own. It is true just because Celebs have excess wealth shouldn`t entitle them to get away with what the gov. does to poor woman and their childeren In America. You Mr .ledded1 are an insensitive jerk.

So the person posting that guesswork about AK is 100% right then is she given your post?

Where is the proof that she has abandoned her child or gives zero time?

So according to you i was being insensitive to the possiblity that her son spends time with his mother rather than accepting someones unproven view that she doesn't.

Wow how insensitive I am. :o And me a man.

You join the forum and within 3 posts are choosing to go about your introductions like so many before you who in the end do not last long when they start off insulting people so early.

Tell me what you know about AK's child caring and child care arrangements and her realtionship with her child.

Tell me what you know about RP's son and their relationship and his with his mother.

Tell me what you know about musicians/film stars etc child care arrangements.

What this has to do with the way US government treats poor women and children?

You are saying then that AK neglects her child???

Prove it!!!

I will accept being an insensitive jerk when you can prove it.

Welcome to the board. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just can't leave it can you. I was in fact aiming at the other people who are stuck in the same viewpoint about RP but you always seem to recognise yourself in my statement about someone else. I wonder why that is?

Perhaps you ought to read and grasp your own post. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was here long before you and will stay as long as I wish and do not need someone like you to suggest I shouldnt be here.

You bore the arse off me anyway :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I thank yew :P

:huh: You posted that turntable comment right after SunChild's long post, half an hour later, so it seems quite understandable that she thought it was directed at her.

And she actually did not suggest that you should leave the boards.

I doubt that SunChild needs me or anyone else to defend her, but I find it strange how vehemently some people react to her simply posting her viewpoints. :wacko:

:huh: You posted that turntable comment right after SunChild's long post, half an hour later, so it seems quite understandable that she thought it was directed at her.

And she actually did not suggest that you should leave the boards.

I doubt that SunChild needs me or anyone else to defend her, but I find it strange how vehemently some people react to her simply posting her viewpoints. :wacko:

Coming to her defence again I see Otto. Its often about timing on the posts as you know and just because it was following on from hers doesn't have to mean its me having a go at her directly ,my post was aimed at two other people who are Plant bashing and she once again has a go at me as she did a couple of weeks ago, again no names were mentioned by me but she obviously recognises something in her own posts. Hence my stating she couldnt leave it.

The continual Plant bashing around here is tiresome and sadly sunchild has done her fair share and we both take differing views on his solo career and his right not to tour with Zep which fuels someof the bashing people do. its not all innocent stuff she posts, some does seem to be done deliberately to wind others up in defending Plants stance. Can't leave it see.

If I respond to other people I don't expect her to have a go at me, its not complicated so she can hardly blame me for responding to her reply.

But this seems to be the pattern, we disagree and someone turns up to say what a bad person I am for disagreeing with her.

Obviously if it were the other way around it would be accusations of cliques at work.

I don't see this as an issue between you and I but if every time I disagree with her position you have to leap in then sadly it does become an issue, which is not something I want.

Coming to her defence again I see Otto. Its often about timing on the posts as you know and just because it was following on from hers doesn't have to mean its me having a go at her directly ,my post was aimed at two other people who are Plant bashing and she once again has a go at me as she did a couple of weeks ago, again no names were mentioned by me but she obviously recognises something in her own posts. Hence my stating she couldnt leave it.

The continual Plant bashing around here is tiresome and sadly sunchild has done her fair share and we both take differing views on his solo career and his right not to tour with Zep which fuels someof the bashing people do. its not all innocent stuff she posts, some does seem to be done deliberately to wind others up in defending Plants stance. Can't leave it see.

If I respond to other people I don't expect her to have a go at me, its not complicated so she can hardly blame me for responding to her reply.

But this seems to be the pattern, we disagree and someone turns up to say what a bad person I am for disagreeing with her.

Obviously if it were the other way around it would be accusations of cliques at work.

I don't see this as an issue between you and I but if every time I disagree with her position you have to leap in then sadly it does become an issue, which is not something I want.

I made two simple points, namely that it wasn't hard to understand how she could have thought you had her post in mind, and that she never did suggest you should leave the boards. No reply here to either point. Your reaction to SC just seemed strangely harsh to me.

And I didn't use the word 'clique' here at all, so why bring it up? :unsure:

Nice post, Robert's Plant.

The last one I shall read, because it is so tiresome to read the same argument, on both sides, over and over. I include myself in that. It has long since ceased to be a discussion, and has become a slanging match, a psychodrama in which Plant is the demon and Jimmy the angel. Well, they're both brilliant and they're both flawed, and there's absolutely no way of knowing what they would have been musically without each other, or the other two, speculate how we may. (I have my opinion on that, of course, duly stated.)

I gave this board six months to settle down after the O2. But between the knowalls and the know-nothings, the pedophiles and the nutcases, the people who go out of their way to be offended and the people who are so naive they hardly seem to know which band we're talking about, this has continued to be the most unpleasant forum I belong to. Thus I gracefully retire. :wave:

Thank you Aquamarine.

Give it a rest a little while but hopefully do so come back.

Slugfests, Higher Society of Know-it-alls, Inner Society of Closer-than-you, Led Zepplin fans, Roger Plant fans. I've found the posts here individually interesting, amusing, annoying, enlightening, tickled by the pics of Robert Plant. I say stick around. Led Zeppelin for what's worth it.

Oh oh oh oh oh oh you don't have to go-oh.

:)

Archived