Funk Zeppelin

That's my biggest beef with non-zep fans. They don't realize how much he was doing.

I was in high school until 1981 - perfect place in time to revere Zep at their prime, right? Wrong. One guy stated "Bonham sure has some heavy hands" - that's it. Everything else was about the Dead, who could have added another 20 drummers and never come close.

I was in high school until 1981 - perfect place in time to revere Zep at their prime, right? Wrong. One guy stated "Bonham sure has some heavy hands" - that's it. Everything else was about the Dead, who could have added another 20 drummers and never come close.

i graduated in 1980....and led zeppelin was KING. princes included aerosmith, kiss, and sabbath. older hippies were into the dead. i was at a dance were someone got beat up for saying "jimmy page sucked". i admit, i watched the fight and did nothing to break it up. that guy had it coming....

And has anyone yet made the startling connection between Walter's Walk and Hots On For Nowhere??

after listening to about 30 seconds of both songs, it sounds like the chorus of hots on for nowhere has the same drum beat as walters walk - i didnt look into it too deep, but thats what i gather after a few seconds of listening. to tell you the truth, your post inspired me to listen to these albums for the first time in quite a while ( im way more into bootleg concert performances ). i remember the songs having quite a similar sound to them...

what is the connection am i missing?

i graduated in 1980....and led zeppelin was KING. princes included aerosmith, kiss, and sabbath. older hippies were into the dead. i was at a dance were someone got beat up for saying "jimmy page sucked". i admit, i watched the fight and did nothing to break it up. that guy had it coming....

I graduated in '75 and Zep was still KING!! NoBodys Fault But Mine is a good example of Bonzos' since of "funk", and of course my personal fav....They created a sound unlike anyother that was being played at the time. That's just my humble opinion. There were alot of great bands that came out in the '60's and flourished through the '70's...a few of them still rock on today.

That's my biggest beef with non-zep fans. They don't realize how much he was doing.

Yeah. In fact finally realizing just how much he was doing is what solidified me into a Zep freak... can't get enough of that man's drumming!

:beer: Hickory Man, you sum it all up!

I love the funky side to Zeppelin, Page can really get a groove on with that, makes me insane. Those boys are only white on the outside...

after listening to about 30 seconds of both songs, it sounds like the chorus of hots on for nowhere has the same drum beat as walters walk - i didnt look into it too deep, but thats what i gather after a few seconds of listening. to tell you the truth, your post inspired me to listen to these albums for the first time in quite a while ( im way more into bootleg concert performances ). i remember the songs having quite a similar sound to them...

what is the connection am i missing?

The guitar riff that follows the choruses in Hots is essentially the same as the riff that goes behind "I'm walkin the floor over you" in WW, just with a different beat. The riff first surfaced (TMK)during the fast section of Dazed and Confused live in 1972. Reference How the West Was Won. Robert scat sings along with it. It just happens for a few seconds, but it's the same. A lot of Zeppelin riffs came from jams like that. Someone would play something, and they'd say "Hey I liked that bit" and they'd build on it.

The guitar riff that follows the choruses in Hots is essentially the same as the riff that goes behind "I'm walkin the floor over you" in WW, just with a different beat. The riff first surfaced (TMK)during the fast section of Dazed and Confused live in 1972. Reference How the West Was Won. Robert scat sings along with it. It just happens for a few seconds, but it's the same. A lot of Zeppelin riffs came from jams like that. Someone would play something, and they'd say "Hey I liked that bit" and they'd build on it.

That boy is good. :beer:

For my money, that piece from D & C that you just pointed out sounds like an up tempo version of what became HOFN.

Walters walk has the same up tempo feel as the pice from D & C from HTWWW, but the melodic content is different.

Walters walk has the same up tempo feel as the pice from D & C from HTWWW, but the melodic content is different.

The notes on the guitar are all but identical in all three songs, stickman! :D

I'd tab them up, but I doubt you could do better than use it to light your BBQ! :beer:

The song that Trampled Underfoot does sound rather similar to is that Doobie Brothers song...

I have to agree there. I heard that Doobie Brothers song on the radio the other day, and could find myself almost singing Trampled Underfoot along to it. Not exactly mind you... but just a little. :unsure:

• 10 years later...
On 5/29/2008 at 3:07 PM, snapper said:

They also covered The Isley Bros. song 'Its Your Thing',

it doesn't get more funk than that.

I have always loved that jam in Communication Breakdown.  I looked up the original - it was released Feb 16, 1969, which means Zep was covering/interpreting it within about a month of its release.

This was a good thread, fun read and some really good observations here. Zeppelin's magic has a lot to do with their love of black music, and not just blues but soul, R&B, funk, whatever you wanna call it.  That's why the shit always feels so good, because it's so damn funky. Jones' and Bonham's favorite players include James Jamerson, Duck Dunn, Earl Palmer, James Browns rhythm section, Bernard Purdie, Alphonse Mouzon, Zigaboo Modeliste, Al Jackson Jr....mostly great soul and R&B players. Stax, Motown, Tamla, New Orleans musicians.They incorporated that feeling into their music more so than any other heavy band, especially Jones and Bonzo. The engine of Led Zeppelin was soulful, something you can't say about many rock bands, though IMO the best ones have that influence. Jones and Bonzo were tuned into what feels good...the soul, the funk, the groove. Also, if you can't hear the connection between Trampled and Superstition then....😒

To me the key ingredient though was Bonzo, and the proof isn't just his incredibly funky drumming. After he died the others haven't really put anything out that had that level of funk. Bonzo = the funk in Led Zeppelin (with Jonesy)

Archived