San Francisco(Be Sure to Wear flowers in your Hair)

AMAZONIC

Reggie, I know the version on TSRTS..

But I was just wandering if apart from the Earls Court and the TSRTS versions, there are different ones. Thanks

I don't know of any other versions.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were.

I did watch a inofficial version of Earls court today and I'm really sure it is this solo.

Anyway, you can see it at Jimmy's hair, in TSRTS it is much shorter.

Is this really San Francisco? I allways thougt it was an early version of Achilles last stand...

Just wondering...

my favorite dream is jamming with the remaining members of Zep, but I would gladly take up the tamborine and flute to jam with the mighy Zep if Bonzo was back on drums.

• 1 month later...

This was something I investigated recently. The musical section which became "San Francisco" first appeared in late December 1972. It was still slightly tentative by 14-Jan-1973 (Liverpool), became tighter the next night, 15-Jan-1973 (Stoke), and by 22-Jan-1973 (Southampton) is almost in the same form which they used throughout the year and is on TSRTS.

It remained as part of the Dazed jam in 1975, although the lyrics did change and Robert began using Woodstock, by Joni Mitchell. The bass/guitar parts were very fluid and changed every night, as tangents within a framework.

So I suppose in answer to the question(s), it was played almost every night from early 1973 through 1975 (Dazed was not played after 1975).

Lucyinthesky mentioned Achilles Last Stand. That is a good observation, as the ascending chord structure E to C is the basis of several sections of Achilles. However I wouldn't call San Francisco the basis of Achilles, as by the time Page was done with it, the feel of the 2 pieces was completely different.

This is the original Scott Mackenzie version,of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DspcTcVslsI

If I recall correctly,the band used to do their version at varying lengths and tangents during D&C.

I'll have to go back and listen to some of those 73 & 75 boots to listen to it's transformation.

Robert and Jimmy really put the psychadelic spell on this song. I could listen to just this part for hours and hours.

Which brings up another tangent within D&C. I believe they did a psychadelic treatment of "Pennies From Heaven" during one of the Japan 71 shows. Sadly,the version I have is edited. But the one chord that Jimmy strikes along with Robert's vocal tells me that it was to be a remarkable variation on the theme.

This was something I investigated recently. The musical section which became "San Francisco" first appeared in late December 1972. It was still slightly tentative by 14-Jan-1973 (Liverpool), became tighter the next night, 15-Jan-1973 (Stoke), and by 22-Jan-1973 (Southampton) is almost in the same form which they used throughout the year and is on TSRTS.

It remained as part of the Dazed jam in 1975, although the lyrics did change and Robert began using Woodstock, by Joni Mitchell. The bass/guitar parts were very fluid and changed every night, as tangents within a framework.

So I suppose in answer to the question(s), it was played almost every night from early 1973 through 1975 (Dazed was not played after 1975).

Thank you for your investigations on the subject, Cactus. :)

I just wonder why D&C was not played after 1975 and until they disbanded.

It is and will always be one of their gems. They could not have missed playing it at the 02 arena concert ... ;)

Thank you for your investigations on the subject, Cactus. :)

I just wonder why D&C was not played after 1975 and until they disbanded.

It is and will always be one of their gems. They could not have missed playing it at the 02 arena concert ... ;)

I guess as the added new material from Presence in '77 there was no more room for the 30 minute giant that Dazed had become. The violin bow solo went into Jimmy's Guitar Improv piece etc.

Archived