Stairway Solo, shortest ever ?

I don't know guys... the BBC Sessions version of Stairway has a pretty short solo - not saying its shorter - but I can't be the only one who thinks that the BBC version was one of the best ones? Even with a short solo the tempo and climax all flows alot better (always climbing instead of climbing alot, going down alot, then going back up a little bit)

I agree with someone else in here who said that the down-tempo part of the solo in the later years really ruined the flow of the build-up. I'd rather the solo be short than have the slow-down in it.

And to the guy who asked when they ever played a down-tempo part in the solo - look all over. It starts as early as 1973 and its pretty much the same thing past that. Its the part where JPJ takes over on the keys and Jimmy plays a toned down guitar number for a while at the end of the solo. Then Page strikes up his classic solo-ender (which is always the same) and then dumps it off to Robert who has to climax the song - not the way to go IMO.

And to the guy who asked when they ever played a down-tempo part in the solo - look all over. It starts as early as 1973 and its pretty much the same thing past that. Its the part where JPJ takes over on the keys and Jimmy plays a toned down guitar number for a while at the end of the solo. Then Page strikes up his classic solo-ender (which is always the same) and then dumps it off to Robert who has to climax the song - not the way to go IMO.

Oh. You mean that kind phsycotic section there athat always came directly after that familiar, high motif from the studio version. Actually, this ection contains what I believe to be some of Page's most exciting improvs. Although, I will say, the solo sucked from '77 onward no matter what version you listen to. In my opinion, 3.19.75 has the best solo ever. That section is shorter on this version, but its also the best version of that section I've yet heard.

P.S. - Listen to your "Destroyer" bootleg*. Hear that section toward the late middle/end where the band stop playing altogether for about 1 second each, letting Jonesy do a few short piano fills? THAT was always the real tension-killer for me. It ruined the whole solo!

* I'm assuming that you have this boot. If not, imagine a sucky, Jazz-odyssey section inserted in the solo. Not too-pretty is it?

Yes I've got Destroyer, but never listen to it.

As far as live performances go, I'm an absolute huge , and I mean huge fan of the band from 1968 till 1972, a relatively huge fan of them from 1973 till 1975, and well, I guess you could say I'm not much of a fan at all after 1975.

I know the solo you speak of though, I agree, it just doesn't do it for me. Nothing else from 1977 does either. I think I'm biased. Oh well.

I've got to say though, the shorter solos of 1971 seem to get me more amped up... I mean, sure its over too soon and I want more, but isn't that what makes it good? In the shorter solos its as if Page forcesyou off the edge of a huge cliff without you even expecting it.., I mean, its Page.., "extended solos are his thing right?.., surely I've got another minute or two to chill here before..." WHAM. He is done with you before you can even finish convincing yourself you've got more time, let alone fathom the furiously concise solo he just weighted you down with.., and even if you did expect it, you certainly weren't ready for it... its just over and you don't even know it... when it gets silent all you can do is look around in a daze like.. "Wait, did that just happen? No fucking way did that just happen" in reference to being completely oblivious to everything going on around you for 8 or 9 minutes. Specifically, that point where you've been out of it for so long your joint has managed to burn a fairly noticeable hole in your couch without your consent.

Hmm.. In hindsight of what I've just written, I wonder if that made any sense at all. I never went back to check if one thought led to the next. No time for that.

Some people may say this: <insert generic "durrr, but, haven't you seen, um durr, Th Th The Song Remains The Same dur thats the best, the be, the bbbbbbbbbbb, the best solo ever! You dont know what youre talking aboutmdurrrr" comment here>

To which I will reply, yea, I've seen it. Everyones has seen it. I would really like it if a day went by that someone didn't bring that thing up.

Have a great day.

Yes I've got Destroyer, but never listen to it.

As far as live performances go, I'm an absolute huge , and I mean huge fan of the band from 1968 till 1972, a relatively huge fan of them from 1973 till 1975, and well, I guess you could say I'm not much of a fan at all after 1975.

I know the solo you speak of though, I agree, it just doesn't do it for me. Nothing else from 1977 does either. I think I'm biased. Oh well.

I've got to say though, the shorter solos of 1971 seem to get me more amped up... I mean, sure its over too soon and I want more, but isn't that what makes it good? In the shorter solos its as if Page forcesyou off the edge of a huge cliff without you even expecting it.., I mean, its Page.., "extended solos are his thing right?.., surely I've got another minute or two to chill here before..." WHAM. He is done with you before you can even finish convincing yourself you've got more time, let alone fathom the furiously concise solo he just weighted you down with.., and even if you did expect it, you certainly weren't ready for it... its just over and you don't even know it... when it gets silent all you can do is look around in a daze like.. "Wait, did that just happen? No fucking way did that just happen" in reference to being completely oblivious to everything going on around you for 8 or 9 minutes. Specifically, that point where you've been out of it for so long your joint has managed to burn a fairly noticeable hole in your couch without your consent.

Hmm.. In hindsight of what I've just written, I wonder if that made any sense at all. I never went back to check if one thought led to the next. No time for that.

Some people may say this: <insert generic "durrr, but, haven't you seen, um durr, Th Th The Song Remains The Same dur thats the best, the be, the bbbbbbbbbbb, the best solo ever! You dont know what youre talking aboutmdurrrr" comment here>

To which I will reply, yea, I've seen it. Everyones has seen it. I would really like it if a day went by that someone didn't bring that thing up.

Have a great day.

Yeah everything after '75 sucked. I liked Knebworth but Knebworth's "Stairway" made we weep. Just a gentle, steady sob as I listened to Robert mess up the song seemingly on purpose and heard Page's terrible solo. I think Heroine crowded Pagey's playing on that song in particular.

Coming back here after a long time (been a long time, been a long time ;) )

yeah it was short, in fact it's shorter than the RECORDING (I think) was a bit dissapointing cos Jimmy always made it at least a little bit longer. But what the hell, hopefully it will leave the door wide open for epic versions on a world tour. I mean if they do more gigs they don't want the O2 gig to be unbeatable.

Yeah everything after '75 sucked. I liked Knebworth but Knebworth's "Stairway" made we weep. Just a gentle, steady sob as I listened to Robert mess up the song seemingly on purpose and heard Page's terrible solo. I think Heroine crowded Pagey's playing on that song in particular.

Which date are you talking about? Because I thought the 4th night was a fantastic solo, albeit a little sloppy. The 11th night, however... well, Jimmy played better.

yeah it was short, in fact it's shorter than the RECORDING (I think) was a bit dissapointing cos Jimmy always made it at least a little bit longer.

Actually, the solo was the same length as the studio version. Comparing the two, they both clock in around 50 seconds.

Which date are you talking about? Because I thought the 4th night was a fantastic solo, albeit a little sloppy. The 11th night, however... well, Jimmy played better.

The one where Robert sings "I wanna tell ya, I hope so!" after "There's still time to change the road you're on." That one actually made me cry. Seriously. I felt like Zepp really let me down. I've heard both since though, and they're both pretty bad...This effectively destroyed all my faith in the band for a long time. Months later, I started listening again. Avoiding these shows. I'm finally listening to Knebworth again. Not that version of "Stairway" though.

Actually, the solo was the same length as the studio version. Comparing the two, they both clock in around 50 seconds.

The studio version solo lasts 1 minute, 9 seconds.

Archived