Help with Led Zeppelin Trivia!

Gainsbarre

You are so right. Donovan and Winwood where also under consideration. Can you imagine if............

I prefer the way the story actually wound up unfolding! :lol:

Blind Faith meets the Yardbirds? Nah, that would have been something totally different from Led Zeppelin. Besides, had Page not enlisted Plant, Plant would never have turned him onto Bonham (god forbid). It would have been totally different. Dynamically, musically, everything!

Terry Reid! Yes! The name bloody came to me just seconds before I read your post. So he's still alive? I wonder who it was I thought had died then...

Keith Relf?

Relf was sadly electrocuted in 1976.

who's he?

He was the lead singer for the Yardbirds.

Chris Dreja was playing the bass (and sometimes the guitar).

What was the only studio record Robert played guitar in?

According to the liner notes on Led Zeppelin (I), "Robert Plant plays harmonica and occasional bass guitar...."

What was the only studio record Robert played guitar in?

Hmmm...another good question...

Well I'm not aware of him playing any guitar at all on a Led Zep record, I know, or I believe he played piano on what was eventually released as Coda...

So I'm guess ing it must be a solo album...

Hmmm...another good question...

Well I'm not aware of him playing any guitar at all on a Led Zep record, I know, or I believe he played piano on what was eventually released as Coda...

So I'm guess ing it must be a solo album...

A. he played Harmonice on a PJ Proby track called "Jim's Blues"

or

B. Guitar on a cover version of "Down by the Seaside" with Tori Amos (after that it's rumored that Jimmy asked him not to play guitar in the studio ever again!)

A. he played Harmonice on a PJ Proby track called "Jim's Blues"

or

B. Guitar on a cover version of "Down by the Seaside" with Tori Amos (after that it's rumored that Jimmy asked him not to play guitar in the studio ever again!)

I find it amusing that Robert "covered his own song" with Tori Amos on Encomium.

According to the liner notes on Led Zeppelin (I), "Robert Plant plays harmonica and occasional bass guitar...."

He's playing the Akoustic in Boogie with Stu on PG, because Jimmy's playing the mandolin and it is a live thing. You can clearly hear that it isn't Jimmy who's playing.

What was the very first record pressed by Led Zeppelin (with the name Led Zeppelin on and not like P.J. Proby or Alexis Corner jams)?

This is not so easy as you can imagine ... :o

You mean the very first record they recorded and released under their own name?

He's playing the Akoustic in Boogie with Stu on PG, because Jimmy's playing the mandolin and it is a live thing. You can clearly hear that it isn't Jimmy who's playing.

I beg to differ.

The line up on BWS was:

Jimmy Page Mandolin and Acoustic Guitar

John Paul Jones Upright Bass, Acoustic Guitar and possibly Piano

John Bonham Percussion

Robert Plant Vocals

Ian Stuart Piano

Jimmy was famous for layering, where he would lay down multi tracks of instruments particularly his guitars, see TYG for example.

Apart from the first album I have never heard of Robert playing anything on Zeppelin recordings except harmonica and perhaps tambourine.

WTLB, BIOH & NFBM to name a few.

Apart from the first album I have never heard of Robert playing anything on Zeppelin recordings except harmonica and perhaps tambourine.

I didn't think the comment that he played some bass on the first album was supposed to be taken seriously

Gotta beg to differ with many of the replies here. Robert was keen on playing guitar in the band from the beginning - though at the start in 1969 he knew he knew he could only play "vaguely - enough to strum along with Neil Young albums". By 1970 he was talking about playing songs like "Bron -y -Aur Stomp" live and saying "It depends if they let me play guitar. I didn't play on the album and I'm not very good, but I've been playing the odd rythmn things. I mean I could never compete with Page.........."

In february 1971 when interviewed about the fourth album he says "Then there's "Sloppy Drunk" on which I play guitar and Jimmy plays mandolin" - this song was later retitled "Boogie With Stu".

In June 1971 Robert was interviewed for Sounds Reports by Steve Peacock and when asked if he enjoyed doing acoustic material, responded " I do because I manage to plonk guitar on about three numbers on this album and it means so much to me to be involved more than just vocally, to know I've been able to contribute something a little more."

Later in an interview with Caroline Boucher for Disc and Music Echo ( November 1971) she mentions to him about his playing guitar on "Battle of Evermore".

I'd be amazed if he didn't play on further sessions, since what he did was successful and he was so keen.

I don't doubt for a minute that Robert was / is capable of playing guitar or keyboards, after being exposed to musicians like Jimmy and Jonesy.

Surely he would have picked up a few tips over the years.

It is rare for someone to compose melodies (songs), without the aid of a guitar or piano.

Having said that, it is possible to write lyrics without musical accompanyment.

What I don't understand is, if he did play on the tracks mentioned, why was he not credited with them on the albums and why didn't he play along with them during their live acoustic sets?

Surely it was not for lack of confidence, after all we are talking about Robert Plant.

As for album liner notes, were the facts that Jimmy played guitars, Jonesy bass and keyboards and Bonzo percussion not to be taken seriously also?

In february 1971 when interviewed about the fourth album he says "Then there's "Sloppy Drunk" on which I play guitar and Jimmy plays mandolin" - this song was later retitled "Boogie With Stu".

In June 1971 Robert was interviewed for Sounds Reports by Steve Peacock and when asked if he enjoyed doing acoustic material, responded " I do because I manage to plonk guitar on about three numbers on this album and it means so much to me to be involved more than just vocally, to know I've been able to contribute something a little more."

Later in an interview with Caroline Boucher for Disc and Music Echo ( November 1971) she mentions to him about his playing guitar on "Battle of Evermore".

So there's a possibility of quite a bit of Plant guitar work on Led Zep III, and also Battle of Evermore?

I don't doubt for a minute that Robert was / is capable of playing guitar or keyboards, after being exposed to musicians like Jimmy and Jonesy.

Yes, but no one ever said that about Linda McCartney...

So there's a possibility of quite a bit of Plant guitar work on Led Zep III, and also Battle of Evermore?

No it was the fourth album he was talking about by then - when he said he hadn't played on the album, he meant Zep III , when he said he had played on a few tracks, he meant the sessions for the fourth album

. I've checked this afternoon and all those quotes are corroborated in "Led Zeppelin - The Press Reports" by Robert Goodwin - still available through Amazon.

Archived