The Song Does NOT Remain the Same!

kashmiran

Frankly, the new version is a crime against humanity. A 10:38 version of NQ!?! Garbage!!! What I did is, I edited the songs so that they were complete. Here's my tracklisting:

CD 1:

1. Rock and Roll - 3:56

2. Celebration Day - 3:35

3. Black Dog* - 5:32

4. Over the Hills and Far Away - 6:11

5. Misty Mountain Hop - 4:43

6. Since I've Been Loving You* - 8:24

7. No Quarter** - 12:28

8. The Song Remains the Same - 5:38

9. The Rain Song - 8:20

10. The Ocean - 4:53

CD 2:

1. Dazed and Confused* - 29:20

2. Stairway to Heaven* - 10:53

3. Moby Dick - 11:02

4. Heartbreaker - 6:15

5. Whole Lotta Love* - 14:19

a * represents a track I edited. No Quarter is marked with a ** cause there was no help for it. I just used the old version instead.

:D

I still don't have the new one. I'm waiting for it to come out on vinyl. I have 2 copies of the old one on vinyl, and I like it. I don't listen to live albums much because I hate to turn it off right in the middle a concert. Why did they cut NQ? One of my favourites from the album. Besides STH and The Rain Song.

It was a good chance spoiled. They should have took the old version, added the new tracks and then polished it up with a remastering instead of trying to emulate the film audio.

And people wonder why bootlegs get traded and sold... *shakes head in disbelief*

It was a good chance spoiled. They should have took the old version, added the new tracks and then polished it up with a remastering instead of trying to emulate the film audio.

And people wonder why bootlegs get traded and sold... *shakes head in disbelief*

I agree with you on this one, completely.

R B)

I agree, they should have redone the film and the music, period. they said there was too much legal stuff involved? Are you kidding? Your worth millions and the greatest rock band ever, you could get it done, or hire someone to!! the sound is good, Love Celebration day!!! Love the ocean, but already seen it on the DVD!! heres a thought RELEASE AN OFFICIAL 02!!!!!!!

The old one was either recorded too fast or too slow I don't know which but that is what accounts for the difference in sound so guitars have to be tuned higher to play it but it is a very noticable difference like in Stairway. I actually prefer the older version.

I have the remastered TSRTS and it sounds fantastic :D The last time I bought it was on LP. This release finally gives it its proper due as a great live recording :D I guess with CD restrictions and the "new" songs being added something sadly had to give.

I guess with CD restrictions and the "new" songs being added something sadly had to give.

Actually, CDs can fit 80 minutes of audio. Disc 1 (of the new version) is about 66 minutes long and Disc 2 is 74 minutes. Plenty of time for the tracks to have been included in their original, full form.

I edited Black Dog to be complete using parts from the Led Zeppelin DVD and also swapped TSRTS guitar solo for the different one from DVD cause it's better. I edited SIBLY to have a missing beat reinstated. I edited almost everything, actually.

B)

Actually, CDs can fit 80 minutes of audio. Disc 1 (of the new version) is about 66 minutes long and Disc 2 is 74 minutes. Plenty of time for the tracks to have been included in their original, full form.

I edited Black Dog to be complete using parts from the Led Zeppelin DVD and also swapped TSRTS guitar solo for the different one from DVD cause it's better. I edited SIBLY to have a missing beat reinstated. I edited almost everything, actually.

B)

Shame they didn't get you in to do the job in the first place instead of that hack Kevin Shirley by the sounds of it. Nice work mate, I'd like to hear what that all sounds like complete.

That missing beat in SIBLY is weird isn't it? Every time I play the song I wait for it to appear; the annoyance factor is small but still enough to make me think "why?"

Shame they didn't get you in to do the job in the first place instead of that hack Kevin Shirley by the sounds of it. Nice work mate, I'd like to hear what that all sounds like complete.

That missing beat in SIBLY is weird isn't it? Every time I play the song I wait for it to appear; the annoyance factor is small but still enough to make me think "why?"

I'd like to hear the completed version you did, too.

R B)

The old one was either recorded too fast or too slow I don't know which but that is what accounts for the difference in sound so guitars have to be tuned higher to play it but it is a very noticable difference like in Stairway. I actually prefer the older version.

All versions are pitched correctly. No speeding up or tuning changes. All the guitars are tuned to concert pitch.

As for why they cut certain things certain ways, copyright prevented them doing any edits to the film. Their hands were tied with that. The goal then, was to smooth out some of the glaring audio edits in the picture and improve the overall quality of the sound. That they did. They definitely succeeded in the area of bad edits. The problem comes when people who are so used to the nuances they've soaked in over the years find the changes to be as glaring (or moreso) as the original bad edits. Many of us are used to hearing the way we always have, and it's weird to hear all these alterations, regardless of whether they flow better technically. My only real gripe is that soundtrack CD is identical to the revamped film. Page saw fit to do a soundtrack that differed from the film when it originally came out. Considering he could do whatever he pleased with the soundtrack, being as he wasn't bound to the film running, I'd have hoped for something a bit more true. Why cut the No Quarter solo on the CD, for example? I guess it's a case of you can't please all the people. The film flows better, and is somewhat better synched, but there are still terrible mismatches of film to music. Just look at SIBLY right before the vocals. But Page couldn't change the film, so the mismatch remains the same. But yeah, it sure would've been nice if he'd gived the CD soundtrack more attention than simply making an audio rip from the film.

Me too with Celebration Day, No Quater I cant believe Jimmy would let these tracks get released like this when LP is engrained in my head. What was shirely thinking. Heartbreaker is only saving grace since we hear the solo finally.

BTW has you seen Vanderbilly cover of CB from TSRTS

It's spot on :Dhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeac71mREbM :D

Yeah, I'm actually working on trying to post my complete version online. The only things I coudn't fix were the Heartbreaker drum segue and NQ. I just faded SIBLY out at the end, put in the old NQ, faded that out at the end, the faded in TSRTS after that. It kinda interrupts the flow, but the desired efeecft is still there, regardless. I coudn't fix the Heartbreaker segue; so I just shortened it a bit in order to at least allow WLL to come in on the correct beat. Here's a list of edits:

Disc 1:

1. Rock and Roll - none

2. Celebration Day - none

3. Black Dog - spliced with the version from "DVD" to be made complete; uses the "DVD" guitar solo instead of TSRTS version.

4. OTHAFA - none

5. Misty Mountain hop - none

6. SIBLY - missing beat reinstated; faded-out after Robert says "Jimmy Page, Guitar!"

7. No Quarter - replaced entirely with the old version; faded-out after Robert says "John Paul Jones, Piano!"

8. TSRTS - faded-in before Robert says "This is called 'The Song Remains the Same'."

9. The Rain Song - still part of Track 8 on my version; faded-out before "The Ocean"

Disc 2:

1. Dazed and Confused - a disturbing timing error around the 4:00-4:05 mark eliminated

2. Stairway - 12 string guitar part from the old version replaces the new part around 9:57

3. Moby Dick - none

4. Heartbreaker - drum segue shortened to 1 bar, this allows WLL to come in on the correct beat

5. Whole Lotta Love - spliced with the old version in 2 places in order to be made totally complete

6. The Ocean - Faded-in before Bonzo's intro

• 2 weeks later...
should i get it or just love my old 1976 like its the only one?

You should get it, if only to know what's so wrong with it. What I did, is edited everything bad about the new one and got complete, ultimate versions.

Hey, I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but did anybody notice a really strange editing error in Stairway to Heaven on the remastered version?

Just go right up to the part before "There's a lady who's sure..." and listen really closely. There's this really weird 'pop' sound that somehow got past quality control. I thought maybe that was just my CD copy, but then I noticed that it was on the DVD too. Kevin Shirley, you did great work on HTWWW and DVD, what the hell happened here?

Maybe they (Warners) just purposely messed this "version" up, so they could pull a Disney and re-release the super duper blue-ray version in about a year or two (of course it will not be as good of an re-editing job as done by forum member here)... :angry:

R B)

Maybe they (Warners) just purposely messed this "version" up, so they could pull a Disney and re-release the super duper blue-ray version in about a year or two (of course it will not be as good of an re-editing job as done by forum member here)... :angry:

R B)

Forgive me if I sound totally clueless, but are you talking about me, or someone else. Not to sound conceited, but thanks for the complement if you are reffering to me.

Post-Script: My edited version is almost done being uploaded to a url online. You should probably be able to download it within a few weeks.

I read this on the internet so it has to be true :huh: . It was said that when Page did the editing for the SRTS he took best parts from the same song played over the several nights at the Gardens and where it would flow well, put it together to cover up flaws in his playing. The person actually had boot legs of each nights performance and went to great lengths to tell what parts were from what night in a song to make a complete song. He was in no way bashing Page, but was saying how amazing it was that Page went to all this effort. To me though, if this is true, TSRTS has lost a little luster. Have any of you heard anything about this?

I read this on the internet so it has to be true :huh: . It was said that when Page did the editing for the SRTS he took best parts from the same song played over the several nights at the Gardens and where it would flow well, put it together to cover up flaws in his playing. The person actually had boot legs of each nights performance and went to great lengths to tell what parts were from what night in a song to make a complete song. He was in no way bashing Page, but was saying how amazing it was that Page went to all this effort. To me though, if this is true, TSRTS has lost a little luster. Have any of you heard anything about this?

i recommend this site:

http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/

this is a fine site by eddie edwards that is all about TSRTS. it has been around for awhile but has been updated since the rerelease. instead of acting like i know all the ins and outs or just repeating what i heard, check it out for yourself. he is very cool and if you have a question, he will get back to you with a well researched answer pretty quickly.

Archived