Led Zeppelin - Heavy Metal

bongo

I don't like Led Zeppelin being called a 'heavy metal' band. Not just because I think heavy metal is crap but I don't think they are/were heavy metal. Obviously they were influenced by different genres, but I think heavy rock is a better general term for them. Yes it seems they inspired 'heavy metal' bands etc along with others, but the connection irritates me when I see them linked to it.

There I've said it :lol:

I know there are lots of you who disagree :)

I don't see it either. I don't think the band liked to be referred to as such either. The closest they came was during the eighties when Jimmy and Robert both went briefly hair metal-that's when I gave up on them personally. Of course people talk of them as having invented heavy metal not being influenced by it.

I don't mind them being called acid rock because they are very psychedelic so it kind of fits.

I don't like Led Zeppelin being called a 'heavy metal' band. Not just because I think heavy metal is crap but I don't think they are/were heavy metal. Obviously they were influenced by different genres, but I think heavy rock is a better general term for them. Yes it seems they inspired 'heavy metal' bands etc along with others, but the connection irritates me when I see them linked to it.

I agree...maybe it was an accurate description of them when the term had a different meaning in the late 60's/early 70's, but it's now an obsolete way to categorize their music. "Hard Rock" works just fine for me.

Speaking of "heavy metal," when Bad Company had secured a recording contract but hadn't decided on a name yet, the suits wanted Paul Rodgers and the boys to call themselves the "Heavy Metal Kids." Needless to say, they didn't like that idea! But there was a movie they liked called "Bad Company" (a western) and they got permission from the director to use that name. That's today's worthless trivia, by the way. :P

I don't think that you will find ANY who disagree. If Anthrax is real heavy metal, LZ should be categorized the same???????

Zep's diverse influences and styles gives them a genre all their own. I don't have a name for it and don't really care anyway. If i had to name that genre, i would call it....Superb. :D

I think Jimmy accepts the label of Zep having been Heavy Metal. Obviously they were more than that, but that WAS a part of it. It's Robert who hates the designation. I think it's kind of snobbish to try to resist the label. Led Zep was not always the kind of high art we like to think of them as.

I think Jimmy accepts the label of Zep having been Heavy Metal. Obviously they were more than that, but that WAS a part of it. It's Robert who hates the designation. I think it's kind of snobbish to try to resist the label. Led Zep was not always the kind of high art we like to think of them as.

i think it was bruce coburn from "rockline" who asked jimmy: "what do you say to those people that claim led zeppelin invented speed metal with the recording of "communication breakdown"?"

jimmy page: "well, there you go...."

I think of Communication Breakdown as being quite a punky song!

mos6507 - I agree about your high art point. But even if I liked heavy metal, I still dont think they were/are. I think they inspired what became heavy metal.

I think they might not have invented heavy metal, but listen to the 1979 songs on CODA, what else then heavy metal is it?

I think everyone will agree LZ definitely invented the LZ style which isn't reached by any other band. Oh this perfection...

OK if you don't like LZ being called a heavey metal band, then you won't want to hear that i read somewhere in a magazine the editor callign them a pop band!

Oh and don't dis heavey metal, just because you don't like it doesn't make it shit music, it's just your TASTE in music, i for one do listen to heavey metal music alot, but i do agree with you that they are not a heavey metal band.

OK if you don't like LZ being called a heavey metal band, then you won't want to hear that i read somewhere in a magazine the editor callign them a pop band!

Oh and don't dis heavey metal, just because you don't like it doesn't make it shit music, it's just your TASTE in music, i for one do listen to heavey metal music alot, but i do agree with you that they are not a heavey metal band.

Led Zeppelin a POP BAND????

hunt this man, catch him and bring me his record collection, suppose he's an ABBAfan or a complete snobbish jazz nerd :rant: :rant: :rant:

Led Zeppelin a POP BAND????

hunt this man, catch him and bring me his record collection, suppose he's an ABBAfan or a complete snobbish jazz nerd :rant: :rant: :rant:

yeah i felt like writing in and saying something like this:

"look you f***king idiot before you write about an artist listen to the music"

well something like that, i felt just as angry like you are now, but i controled myself.

yeah i felt like writing in and saying something like this:

"look you f***king idiot before you write about an artist listen to the music"

well something like that, i felt just as angry like you are now, but i controled myself.

pop music, heavy metal whatever- industries, media try to catagorise. if you like it you like it and it doesnt matter a shit in a windy day what anyone else calls it. zep are not iron maiden and certainly not reo speedwagon .they are the bringers not the takers of labels.

Hi all,

hey there KB, its been a while!

glad I can make sense beyond the next president thread B)

Hey zosodude13!

How is u? :P 'Been a long time,been a long time'

Added you as a friend,reject me,so I know you care! :D

Egad,I wonder how Sam and the mods put up with us,.... :)

Now back to heavy metal,I think the whole point of the band was(and to this day) never to be -cornered- in to a style/genre of music.

After LZII,when they came out with LZIII,it was,WTF?Maybe not to people/fans or should I say lovers of music,but to the "machine" the "Industry" (it was AM back then).They wanted to grow,in the music as as a band,and alot of the experts*cough*,didn't care or even know that the fearious four(sp?),listen to and loved so much music of different styles.

IMVHO,the whole 'heavy' thing can upon because of Bonham.The Hammer.I'm not saying the 'best',the most technical,this and that,but I could.But he hammered away,before hammering away was accepted.

:beer: KB(rant mode,..off)

Hi all,

Hey zosodude13!

How is u? :P 'Been a long time,been a long time'

Added you as a friend,reject me,so I know you care! :D

Egad,I wonder how Sam and the mods put up with us,.... :)

Now back to heavy metal,I think the whole point of the band was(and to this day) never to be -cornered- in to a style/genre of music.

After LZII,when they came out with LZIII,it was,WTF?Maybe not to people/fans or should I say lovers of music,but to the "machine" the "Industry" (it was AM back then).They wanted to grow,in the music as as a band,and alot of the experts*cough*,didn't care or even know that the fearious four(sp?),listen to and loved so much music of different styles.

IMVHO,the whole 'heavy' thing can upon because of Bonham.The Hammer.I'm not saying the 'best',the most technical,this and that,but I could.But he hammered away,before hammering away was accepted.

:beer: KB(rant mode,..off)

well, IMO, LZ covered more of the musical spectrum during their career then any other band (without changing who they really were) and were superb everytime they tried something new and unexpected

It was proven on their 2nd ever track, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You... no band had ever been able to fuse acoustic and hard rock so naturaly

I remember watching vh1's 100 greatest artists of hard rock (LZ #1 on that list) and ritchie blackmore talking about LZ and he said something along the liens of "LZ tought me that heavy isnt in your sound; its in your additude"

just look at the discography

LZ- heavy rock/blues

LZ II- hard rock

LZ III-acoustic and a splash of rock and blues

LZ IV- rock. and some touchy acoustic stuff

HOTH- rock, with funk

PG- what wasnt on there?

P- progish hard rock

ITTOD- keyboards and JPJ doing all the work?!?!?!

they did their best to cover everything they could in 12 years... I'd say thats pretty good sampling of what was around back then

its like a musical buffet of awesomeness!!!

its bed time... goodnight!

If you read my original post I said 'I' think heavy metal is crap, which I do, which is just my opinion, which I am entitled to.

At no point did I say because I don't like it, it is shit music.

Each to their own.

zep are not iron maiden and certainly not reo speedwagon .they are the bringers not the takers of labels.

They played around in different genres. Achilles could have been an Iron Maiden song. All My Love could have been an REO Speedwagon song.

Remember that The Beatles had Helter Skelter, a song heavy enough to be covered by Motley Crue. The best bands covered a lot of stylistic ground.

Hmm...yeah, I saw that VH1 show, too. I remember that quote about it being an attitude, not a volume. If there was a band that invented metal, or inspired what would become metal, I would think it would be Sabbath more than Zeppelin. But what Zeppelin had more than anyone before or since was that attitude and vibe. Even with a monster drummer and with some of the stuff on IV that sounds pretty metallic to me, it was really the vibe of the thing that set them apart.

Can anyone describe the vibe? I can't. But to me it relates somewhat to bagpipes, middle easterm music, tornado sirens, and hot sex. Oh, and also a big machine in a warehouse that hums a certain way.

They played around in different genres. Achilles could have been an Iron Maiden song. All My Love could have been an REO Speedwagon song.

Remember that The Beatles had Helter Skelter, a song heavy enough to be covered by Motley Crue. The best bands covered a lot of stylistic ground.

your not getting it, you can not put a label to zep as you can not label other ground breakers Elvis, Beatles, ramones, they made genres. and dont ever put speedwagon in the same context as zep near choked on my beer.

REO Speedwagon and All My Love....good God man.....how can someone appreciate Zeppelin at all and make such a statement? It's like saying JK Rowling could have written Macbeth.....wow....

Archived